Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Been assimilated... going with Apple 'puters

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Vizios look very nice. I've been looking around for an Ultrabook. I'd prefer one in the 11" or so format with backlit keys and an SSD.
    I wouldn't purchase on that came stock with a SSD. Retail packaged SSD's are much less expensive now as an after purchase add on VS. stock equipped. Plus, you get to choose the drive as opposed to whatever the OEM got a great deal on.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not worried about obsessing over transfer rates on hard drives but I do like saving money.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm not worried about obsessing over transfer rates on hard drives but I do like saving money.
    I've got a 6YO laptop with a SATA2 controller, so reliability > price > xfer rate for me as well. In my experience, SSD's with the SandForce controllers are very firmware dependent and other than the new Intel branded SSD's with Intel's own firmware validation, just aren't reliable enough for my work machines. Intel's older drives with their own controllers were very reliable, but slow and expensive, Crucial's Marvell controller based drives have been reliable and affordable, and the Samsung drives with their recent price drops are reliable, competitively priced, and fast.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    I wouldn't purchase on that came stock with a SSD. Retail packaged SSD's are much less expensive now as an after purchase add on VS. stock equipped. Plus, you get to choose the drive as opposed to whatever the OEM got a great deal on.
    The Vizios, like many of the Ultrabooks on the market now, use mSATA drives because there's just plain no room for a traditional 2.5" HDD. They're using Toshiba drives -- as does Apple and a number of other manufacturers -- which aren't the fastest thing in the world, but they're reliable and get the job done.

Crucial just released mSATA versions of their M4 line a few weeks ago, so upgrading is still an option for those that are worried about it. Honestly, just about any SSD is good enough for the work I want to do on an ultra portable notebook.
    Last edited by jslaker; 09-18-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Crucial just released mSATA versions of their M4 line a few weeks ago, so upgrading is still an option for those that are worried about it. Honestly, just about any SSD is good enough for the work I want to do on an ultra portable notebook.
    Same here. I'm not a gamer though I do appreciate the speed of an SSD. Have no intentions of tuning with hdparm and sdparm again.
    #RESIST

Been using the iMac and MacBook Air since Monday, everything seems to be fairly intuitive.
    There are a few things that will take me some time to get straight but nothing major.
    The menu bar at the top of the screen instead of at the top of the window is taking me a bit to get used to.
    Remembering that the red X just closes the window instead of quitting the app is still messing with me.
    And no highlight, right click menu cut/paste is annoying.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Been using the iMac and MacBook Air since Monday, everything seems to be fairly intuitive.
    There are a few things that will take me some time to get straight but nothing major.
    The menu bar at the top of the screen instead of at the top of the window is taking me a bit to get used to.
    Remembering that the red X just closes the window instead of quitting the app is still messing with me.
    Under System Preferences, there's an option to enable two finger tap for right click.

You can also do Control and click for "right click."
    #RESIST

I have right click enabled.
    Theres just no right click menu option for cut/paste.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We are diminished
    I have right click enabled.
    Theres just no right click menu option for cut/paste.
    What am I missing?

Name:  screen120919.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  48.8 KB

User Tag List