Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Been assimilated... going with Apple 'puters

We are diminished
    I used PCs from '83 (I was in 8th grade). I even went through a phase when I built my own PCs and spent my free time on comp.os.windows.advocacy.

In '06 I switched to Mac because I was tired of the bugs, crashes, and constant tweaking necessary to get Win to run.

Unlike Vinh, I found the change seamless. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to resort to Terminal in the past six years. Each time, it's been as easy as Googling the problem and following the solution step by step.

There have certainly been some frustrations along the way, but they've been minor and temporary. I've never been hit with a virus or malware. After switching from MS Office to Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote as my default suite the number of crashes I've experienced has literally dropped to zero. My wife switched a couple of years ago but insists on using Outlook and she's had no end of troubles. There's no doubt in my mind that MS feels a vested interest in making Macs run poorly.

My current MBP is four years old and as much as I'd like a new computer for the heck of it, I honestly cannot think of a single reason to upgrade. After all the travel, bumps, drops, and abuse this computer has taken, it's still like new.

Anybody remember GeoWorks?
    That was the GUI on my smoking fast 286 10MHz!
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    No, but I recall using Norton Commander, on a 286/12.

I've tried to make the switch to a Mac multiple times, but I find myself working too hard to get things the way I want, and always go back. I'm fairly pleased with Win7.
    Last edited by JV_; 09-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.

What finally tipped me away from Windows was working with Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop.
    No bloatware and it made my machine (Dell 15" laptop, Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB ram) run like a next generation computer.
    Internet surfing is great with Chromium and no worries about getting a virus or other malware.
    The only problem is Linux can be a pain in the butt to do the simplest things on, like set up a wireless printer or mount a NAS.
    I'm hoping OS X ends up being a more polished Ubuntu like experience without the security gaps and bloat of Windows.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    XTree on my Turbo XT, rockin' Hercules graphics on a page white IBM monitor, baby. Playin' Wizardry V and SimCity and Test Drive to the break of dawn!

(I liked the white phosphorus monitor because it looked like a Mac's. )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Playin' Wizardry V and SimCity to the break of dawn!
    BTDT

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    XTree on my Turbo XT, rockin' Hercules graphics on a page white IBM monitor, baby. Playin' Wizardry V and SimCity and Test Drive to the break of dawn!

(I liked the white phosphorus monitor because it looked like a Mac's. )
    Ah, SimCity. After all these years, I still remember the feeling of finally getting a city working beautifully, then Godzilla attacked. As soon as I repaired the damage, the nuclear plant had a meltdown.

I waited until I had a computer with sound to get Need for Speed and Battlezone II.

I think I still have a Timex Sinclair somewhere.
    Last edited by Carraway; 09-15-2012 at 11:45 PM.

be secure/virus free despite my wife and 9 year old's best attempts to compromise the system.
    Just a thought: an Apple PC might be fairly "virus free", but that is largely by virtue of the fact that its market penetration isn't quite large enough for virus writers to make it worth their time... for now. From a strictly technical POV, Windows is has been seen as being secure than OS-X for awhile now, it's just that the large installation base makes it so that it's a far more popular target.

I'm a professional nerd, and use and sell Windows for desktops and laptops. The difference in price between "virus proof" Apple and Windows devices with an good lightweight anti-malware protection like ESET Smart Security is still pretty big.

Then again, what I buy for myself or sell to a customer isn't the same Windows experience as a consumer who purchases a computer in a big box store from a jackass who actually knows less about what they sell than their customer.

That being said, most of my non-work computing, other than gaming, is done on my phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Anymore the majority of my internet time is spent on my tablet.
    Internet anytime, anywhere.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List