Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 627-5 Performance Center 8x 357 Mag

Is a conversion, 8-shot cylinder into an older S&W 28, possible at all?

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    AFAIK the "G" frame (8-shot N-frame) are something like 0.03" taller. I assume with a similarly wider cylinder. There may be full-house-custom options with bespoke cylinders but I don't think you can 'just' retrofit an 8-shot .357/9mm cylinder into an older N-frame.

Site Supporter
    In the early ‘90’s you could get a 7 shot cylinder for N frames but I don’t even remember the company that offered them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    In the early ‘90’s you could get a 7 shot cylinder for N frames but I don’t even remember the company that offered them anymore.
    The funny part about all of it is that it's really Taurus that's responsible for the revolver capacity arms race.

They first released their 7-shot .357 model 607 on their N-frame-equivalent sometime in 1995, I think. S&W responded, again IIRC, by releasing the 686+ the same year. The 686+ was released at the tail end of the 686-4 run. The earliest 686+ were pre-lock, pre-mim 686-4s. The 7-shot 686-5s, which were pre-lock, post-mim and much more common, were released in (IIRC) 1997. Same capacity in a smaller frame.

Taurus then released their 608 (.357 with an 8-round cylinder) in 1996 (still using their version of the N-frame) obsoleting their 607. It wasn't until then that S&W released the 8-shot 627/27s. When they were released I don't remember offhand. I want to say 1997 at the earliest. I don't think they made any that were pre-lock and pre-mim. All the pre-lock 8-shot 627s I've seen are post-mim which would have started around 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Nope, as @jh9 noted there are dimensional differences in the frame window.

For an 8-shooter, your choice is a 327/627, Super GP100, Redhawk, Taurus 608, or Korth NXS.

Site Supporter
    This post over on the Enos forums talks about the conversion I was thinking of.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...omment=1464750

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    This post over on the Enos forums talks about the conversion I was thinking of.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...omment=1464750
    .38 super or 9mm would make sense. Smaller rim diameter. Trying it with a .38 special or .357 magnum would probably have the same rimlock issues that Ruger had with their 7-shot GP-100s before they slightly increased the diameter of the cylinder/window.

edit: ref the modified 8-shot pre-G, N-frames Carmoney mentioned, not the 7-shot Baumann N-frames.
    Last edited by jh9; 08-03-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They did a TALO run of a blued Model 27 with a 3.5" barrel and 8-shot cylinder, called them "Registered Magnums". I've always wanted one, but last one I saw was north of 20 Benjamins. And I can't bring myself to pay that for a gun with a hole in the side.
    I should be glad I didn’t know of them at the time, I guess.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I find these 8 shot S&W .357s unreasonably cool in all forms. From a practical perspective, what's the draw of the over other forms of .357 revolver. My limited understanding is that its quite a bit more gun for one more shot.
    Hi Bio,

I just wanted something different and thought it was cool! Passion overrides my common sense with hobbies such and guns. I am planning on spending a year carrying and shooting the 627. I am a little over 2k in on reloaded 38 special mixed with .357 and I am just now feeling like I could be a decent shot with it. I am not a natural good shot and have to work at any platform to get what I feel is decent -not marksman-but know my way around it. I like revolvers more than any other handguns and they just work for me and are safer to carry for ME than one-in-chamber semiautos. I often carry in a chest pack while working on my property and a revolver to me is just dang handy and I like the heavier double action pull. The 627 allows me have 8 chances at what ever is trying eat me or a human predator unwelcome at our place. We live out a ways - when danger calls, the police are 45 minutes away. Oh! The 627 snub is also more comfy for my beat up old hands to shoot than something less weight and more snappy.
    But ignoring all that- let’s be honest- I just thought it was cool

Tar

User Tag List