Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: .308 load recommendation for hunting/defense

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Barnes sells the black tips for .300 BLK, which is mostly shot in AR actions.
    Black tips used to mean something better

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Bone Frog just sent an email for a flash sale. .308 Gold Dot 150gr is $455 for 500, or $110 for 100 rounds.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/prod...31459868377157
    Thank you so much for this -- a great load, and a great price, so I bought 1000 rounds to hopefully standardize on this load across all my 308 platform rifles!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thank you so much for this -- a great load, and a great price, so I bought 1000 rounds to hopefully standardize on this load across all my 308 platform rifles!
    Glad it helped! I started buying all the Remington 150gr CLUB I could find a few years ago to be my one true 308. Otherwise I’d have snagged some if that Gold Dot myself.

At 308 velocities you really have a lot to choose from

150 grain ttsx
    165 partition/accubond

I’ve hunted with a 308 solely for 20 years , mainly deer but some hogs.

My go-to load in 130 grain ttsx with ramshot TAC and I can get about 3150 out of a 22” 5r barrel

I have never recovered one and always had nickel or quarter sized exits

I’ve also killed with hornady sst 150, nosler accubond 150 and 165, hornady interbond 150, nosler ballistic tip 168

Never have noticed a dramatic difference in lethality just the ttsx always exits and most of the accubond exited.

For bear you want penetration which a ttsx would give you reliably and a partition would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...7.62+NATO.html

"The 150 grain Barnes TSX shows a definite delay in killing at impact velocities below 2600fps with rear lung shots. This bullet is best suited to game weighing between 90 and 150kg (200-330lb) and is adequate for use on heavier bodied deer up to 320kg (700lb). Wounding is at its most violent at impact velocities above 2400fps on lean game, width of wounding at lower velocities becomes more dependent on target resistance.

The 165 and 168 grain TSX bullets are best suited to large, heavily muscled game. That said, delayed killing occurs at .308 velocities and to this end, shot placement becomes very critical if on the spot kills are to be expected. The heavy weight Barnes bullets produce wide wounding out to moderate ranges... These projectiles are exceptionally deep penetrating bullets, capable of complete broadside penetration of Bovine sized game. The 180 grain Barnes is somewhat too long for optimum use (velocities) in the .308 Win."
    That’s why you go light for caliber in the tipped tsx (ttsx) and drive them as fast as possible, they expand, retain weight, and still dig deep.

Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post
    My go-to load in 130 grain ttsx with ramshot TAC and I can get about 3150 out of a 22” 5r barrel.
    That's about what I get in a 22" factory M-700. Haven't shot anything with it yet, though.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's about what I get in a 22" factory M-700. Haven't shot anything with it yet, though.

Okie John
    I can’t count how many deer I’ve shot with it …. 10 or 12 maybe? I double lunged a big bodied Saskatchewan whitetail buck with it, ran about 20 yards and fell over. Of course it exited. Velocity matters with ttsx bullets. I’d feel confident with it inside of 300. It has a Poor ballistic coefficient so I never really considered using that bullet for longer ranges.

User Tag List