Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .308 load recommendation for hunting/defense

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    In 2016 or 2017 I was writing an article for SWAT magazine about the Knights SR-25 Advanced Combat Carbine in 7.62 NATO, I vaguely remember being told to avoid ballistic tip ammo because the tips might break off when being cycled through the action and fed into the chamber. Theses broken off tips might find their way into other parts of the action and cause a malfunction. This would seem to be a problem for a semiauto .308 weapon when the action cycles that would not apply to a bolt gun.
    You are absolutely right about that weakness under high round repeated fire. When I tested it on my gun, it was for accuracy. In the setting of hunting where a guy like George will unlikely need more than 2 shots, precision and accuracy rules. I got to tell you, those tipped TSX bullets are so much better than regular TSX bullets accuracy wise. Of course, if GJM has to be able to pump all 20 308 rounds in a charging bear, the regular TSX is the way to go.

In 2016 or 2017 I was writing an article for SWAT magazine about the Knights SR-25 Advanced Combat Carbine in 7.62 NATO, I vaguely remember being told to avoid ballistic tip ammo because the tips might break off when being cycled through the action and fed into the chamber. Theses broken off tips might find their way into other parts of the action and cause a malfunction. This would seem to be a problem for a semiauto .308 weapon when the action cycles that would not apply to a bolt gun.
    That brings back some memories. I recall hearing the same advice especially with regards to those ballistic tips made of clear red or green plastic (vs. the opaque stuff) because the clear polymer tips tended to be more brittle and would fracture during rougher cycling.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Haven't seen this linked yet: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-LE-308-Loads

Could probably use an update, but still probably a great resource. I have 150 gr Gold Dots loaded for my SR-25, though that's largely a function of cost and availability. I would like to go heavier, perhaps with something with a ballistic tip, since I'm not really concerned with over penetration, given that penetration would be the main reason I pulled out the SR-25 over an AR-15, besides range.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Barnes sells the black tips for .300 BLK, which is mostly shot in AR actions.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Funny, there was a chest rig in my SCAR 17 bag, and it was full of Hornady TAP AMAX loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Any of you 308 Shooters have any experience with the Berger hybrid hunters?

My needs are not nearly what the OP's needs are, but I've found the Bergers to group much better than any TSX load (factory ammo). Haven't had a chance to see their results on game yet.

Thanks

In California, it is hard to beat a 135-150 TSX/TTSX or GMX/CX loading.

Elsewhere, 150-165gr or so Federal T-TBBC and TBBC, Nosler Accubond & Partition, Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded, Swift Scirocco II, Speer Gold Dot and identically constructed Federal Fusion are all good options.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The local hardware store had .308 Fusion. Only in 180 grain, but for a defensive oriented Alaska rifle, that didn't seem all bad. Will shoot for function and accuracy in the SCAR 17 and Browning DBM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Funny, there was a chest rig in my SCAR 17 bag, and it was full of Hornady TAP AMAX loads.
    As far as I remember, in conversations on board's past, the Hornady 155gr AMAX is a great load for killing people. Several people noted it was their dept's load for "marksman".

That said, your needs/wants are a bit different than most other locales. I would think that the Federal Fusion/Speer Gold Dot in 150gr or 168gr offerings would be a wise choice. There is also a 180gr Federal Fusion which I believe you have located. Another nice choice would be the 165 Trophy Bonded Tipped load in Federal's hunting line (168gr in Federal's LE line).

Bone Frog just sent an email for a flash sale. .308 Gold Dot 150gr is $455 for 500, or $110 for 100 rounds.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/prod...31459868377157

User Tag List