Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mega Millions over 1 Billion (with a B)

You can't win if you don't play. That was the message when WA introduced their lottery. It's true, I've never won.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I'll buy three tickets this week. That will increase my chances of by about half an order of magnitude over buying one ticket.

Years ago when I lived in Nashville, I stopped off at a convenience store to buy two tickets one week when the jackpot got really high. The decently dressed guy in front of me at the counter said he wanted three tickets and then tried to pay with a credit card. The clerk said the rules are that you have to pay cash. The guy was a jerk about it and refused to use the ATM, so he and the clerk were at an impasse. I didn't want to be there all night, so I agreed to buy the guy's tickets for myself. The clerk thanked me, and the guy said he should give.me his phone number in case one of them was a winning ticket. I declined and left. Turns out that there was a one or two million dollar winning ticket sold at that store that night. Unfortunately none of my tickets won anything, but I really enjoy the fact that that guy will live the rest of his life wondering if he missed out on two million dollars because he didn't want to pay an ATM fee.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    The tackle shop we bought tickets from last week had an already-printed ticket that was printed in error a half our before I went in. I bought it, of course. Won $2.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You can't win if you don't play. That was the message when WA introduced their lottery. It's true, I've never won.
    I remember they had the "some lucky dog's gonna to win it" commercials too.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I think some people take the economic calculations way too seriously. Its for FUN.

You could easily save a TON of money by eating oatmeal and brown rice most of the time, but we buy food we LIKE because we LIKE eating different things. Better food costs more, but its rarely discussed about the economic trade offs over eating better than the lowest priced food. Why not buy the cheapest beer or whiskey? Whats the value of spending more for better? Its because you like it.

Same for entertainment, we spend money on something that has little tangible value, a movie, music, art, whatever. We do it because we enjoy it. Thats the value. I buy a couple lottery tickets several times a year because its fun to think about what youd do if you won, thats entertainment and enjoyment value. I can handle it. If I have to make a trade, i can forgo a six pack or two of Coronas or a bottle of Bulleit per year and pretty well cover my investment in dreams I waste on lottery tickets.

This. Id buy this, and maybe several other places..... And staff. And old 1930s, 40s and 50s harleys, and old guns, lots of old guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owjfSocygB8
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna have to buy a ticket.
    50/50 odds - I either win or I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    100% it is a voluntary Tax. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This. Id buy this, and maybe several other places..... And staff.
    I wouldn't have a big enough house to need one, but I'd get a droll English butler who suffers my shenanigans with sardonic wit.

Site Supporter
    From 2019: "SC winner of $1.5 billion lottery ticket claims prize."

"The Mega Millions winner, who wants to remain anonymous, will take a one-time payment of $877.8 million. That is the largest jackpot payout ever to a single winner, the South Carolina Lottery Commission announced Monday. "

There's a thread on here about it and I think the same comments were made about not winning. It is easier to win with a ticket so get the $3.00 of change out of your vehicle and buy one ticket. Dream a little before the drawing. If you win don't forget about us on P-F.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I wouldn't have a big enough house to need one, but I'd get a droll English butler who suffers my shenanigans with sardonic wit.

Several years ago I had a girl (mid 30s) working for me doing odds and ends around the house part time, she was a hoot to be around, was willing and able to do about anything from yard work to housework to help me do electrical and plumbing, go in the crawl space and work, whatever. She was also trained as a chef....

I half jokingly asked if I won the lottery if she'd be my full time housekeeper and cook, executive assistant, and adventure travel partner, to which she agreed. Thats the sort of staff Id like. The English butler may be OK though, maybe female version, perhaps with a bit of Willikins thrown in.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I think some people take the economic calculations way too seriously. Its for FUN.

You could easily save a TON of money by eating oatmeal and brown rice most of the time, but we buy food we LIKE because we LIKE eating different things. Better food costs more, but its rarely discussed about the economic trade offs over eating better than the lowest priced food. Why not buy the cheapest beer or whiskey? Whats the value of spending more for better? Its because you like it.

Same for entertainment, we spend money on something that has little tangible value, a movie, music, art, whatever. We do it because we enjoy it. Thats the value. I buy a couple lottery tickets several times a year because its fun to think about what youd do if you won, thats entertainment and enjoyment value. I can handle it. If I have to make a trade, i can forgo a six pack or two of Coronas or a bottle of Bulleit per year and pretty well cover my investment in dreams I waste on lottery tickets.

This. Id buy this, and maybe several other places..... And staff. And old 1930s, 40s and 50s harleys, and old guns, lots of old guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owjfSocygB8
    So how many Senoritas are you going to hire? I only ask because my parents who both worked, hired domestic help when I was a growing up. Sometimes they hired older women who were vicious but occasionally hired a vivacious 20 something that was looking for some fun with a minor. I think that was acceptable and nobody was complaining.

Cigars are one of my few pleasures these days. I don't drink expensive whiskey or drive a Corvette. I'm drinking cheap tequila this summer and making Margaritas. We don't go out for dinner much anymore either but hit the $35 a plate sea food restaurants when we do. I haven't had a really good steak in years and I really miss that. Soooo, I said the hell with cheap cigars. I smoke $10 cigars these days. That might be a lot like buying lottery tickets. There is no monetary return on my purchase and the money spent is forever gone.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-28-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    So how many Senoritas are you going to hire?...

Cigars are one of my few pleasures these days. I don't drink expensive whiskey or drive a Corvette. I'm drinking cheap tequila this summer and making Margaritas. We don't go out for dinner much anymore either but hit the $35 a plate sea food restaurants when we do. I haven't had a really good steak in years and I really miss that. Soooo, I said the hell with cheap cigars. I smoke $10 cigars these days. That might be a lot like buying lottery tickets. There is no monetary return on my purchase and the money spent is forever gone.
    I dont know, one may be sufficient. Maybe a caretaker for another place, may be nice to get out of the warm summers for a bit.

Ill buy you some good cigars and steaks if I win big.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List