Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 1911 grips

Need 1911 grips

I need a set of what appears to be somewhat non-standard 1911 grips. They should be about .250 thick. The usual suspects of choice (VZ and LOK) are .270-285. The rest of specs are:
    full size 1911 grips, bronze or brown color, the most aggressive surface possible, and a generous thumb recess / scoop. Anybody has ideas, please let me know.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/1911-...dark-earth-g10

Those are 0.250" thick according to the manufacturer. They also offer a tan but it's not as aggressive.

MagPul MOE 1911 grips fulfill the requirements you set forth at an excellent price point. I have a set on my only 1911 and have been happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/1911-...dark-earth-g10

Those are 0.250" thick according to the manufacturer. They also offer a tan but it's not as aggressive.
    Thanks. Seems like their thumb scoop is pretty shallow, otherwise look good.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    MagPul MOE 1911 grips fulfill the requirements you set forth at an excellent price point. I have a set on my only 1911 and have been happy.
    Oh, dear, these are indeed to my specs. Thank you! A Ned Christiansen's full custom is going to wear a set of $20 grips...

Seems like they have two options, MOE and TSP. I just ordered both.

Site Supporter
    I have a set of @vcdgrips 'practitioners' that might be a smidge thin for your .250" requirement, but they have a generous thumb recess for easy mag release. Given that he makes those by hand, I suspect he might be able to make a set to your exact specs.

Site Supporter
    A couple of clarifications:

1. I hand texture a grip panel that has already been molded. I am not fabricating by hand from an unmolded blank.

2. The Magpuls are an excellent product and exceed the intersection of quality an value in their standard form. They are approx. .250 thick in the body of the grip on the non relieved side. The thumb relieved side is sig. thinner at the relief point ( approx. .100)

3. But for the the thumb relief requirement, I would humbly assert that my Brown VCD Grips would work well.

4. I have "relieved" a few of my "standard" sets. I do not typically do them as it is relatively time intensive and the results can be a bit uneven both in terms of the grip panel itself and how it is received by the end user.

5. Frankly, my website should be updated to reflect the Practitioner but:
    a. I have a full time job and I am busy with life
    b. my web master is a professional and he does me such a solid such that I am uncomfortable asking him to do it
    c. The model started as a one off for TLG and his SA 9 mm 1911 and it seems fitting that I only do them from time to time in that manner.

If thumb relief is really driving the train, Magpul or perhaps the old school Pachmayr is the way to go.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-0500.../dp/B0002INPK2
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 07-27-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

@vcdgrips, thanks for the info. Both grip thickness and thumb relief are what I am looking for. How thick are your grips? The original grips that this gun came with are @ .250, maybe 0.245 but after handling them recently I decided I wanted thumb scoop. I don't want to modify those original grips for a couple of reasons. I will have magpuls here tomorrow but if I don't dig them for some reason, I don't mind buying and trying to add the scoop myself.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    @[URL="https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=30"]The original grips that this gun came with are @ .250, maybe 0.245 but after handling them recently I decided I wanted thumb scoop. I don't want to modify those original grips for a couple of reasons. I will have magpuls here tomorrow but if I don't dig them for some reason, I don't mind buying and trying to add the scoop myself.
    I put the Magpul grips with the more aggressive texture on my Ruger 9mm Commander size pistol because they were cheap and I was curious. Now my more expensive grips are in my parts drawer and the Magpuls have never left the Ruger.

I bet you’re going to like them.

Site Supporter
    Let me check width for sure when I get home. IIRC they are .250-.255 but I will mike them and post up.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

If the Magpul grips/grip specifications work, the VCD Practitioners definitely will. Highly recommended.

Best, Jon

User Tag List