Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P226 w/Red Dot?

P226 w/Red Dot?

I have a P226 that has a custom trigger and all sorts of stuff on it that I like A LOT. I've owned it for a long time already and it's one of my favorite pistols. What I want to do though is fit it with a red dot, specifically a Holosun.

If I have two slides for it that's ok. One can remain in the original configuration but the second one needs to be cut for an optic.

I would just send the current slide off to be milled but my understanding is that's a no-go for my particular slide. It's one of the various versions that supposedly cannot be milled without messing up the internals.

Also I do not want the cut to remove the dove tail for the rear site. I've seen some milling options that cuts that out.

One option is the RPX slide assembly. That one comes with an optic mounted on it. Not sure of the footprint though and how hard it will be to replace it with something else.

The second option is the Pro Cut slide.

Both of those have pros and cons. I like the plain RPX slide type without all the cuts and stuff. I do not like the irons that come on it though. Not that I would be using those as much but just saying.

The Pro Cut has actual night sights but it also has all the slide cuts on it.

I know I could buy the RPX and remove and replace stuff but the cost would be pretty high to do all that.

On balance I would probably lean towards the Pro Cut between the two and I could just drop my dot of choice on there and be done with it and have a plug and play option in hand.

If I could find a new (traditional) slide that could be milled that is an option as well but I have no idea where to get such a thing or the ultimate complexity of doing that.

In any case I am 99.9% positive that I want to fit it with a Holosun. I think the 507C variant is probably my choice for a few reasons, but I don't know if other options will work as well. I really like the circle dot as well as the side loading battery. Not having to remove the dot to change a battery is a big deal. If there were a closed emitter option I would probably go that route.

A big deal to me about the dot though is fitment. I would prefer not to have big ugly gaps and such. I would also (probably) prefer to not use plates,but that's still up for discussion as I don't know my options there.

Basically this thread is to START a discussion and maybe talk me through options or things that I don't know or know about. If I missed something in this please chime in and let me know. Various opinions or options are welcome for sure. I am just trying to talk through it before I start slinging the credit card around.

I only own one gun with a red dot and I love it so I want to figure out a way to have my 226 (my primary suppressor host) to wear a dot as well.

I had RMR cut 226 and 229 slides before Sig offered up their optic versions. The only “internals” that get messed up is the spring for the firing pin block. It needs trimmed. It isn’t a big deal at all. Just realize when you take your optic off, the spring is exposed. I used mine on duty for years like that. I’ll see if I can find some pics.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Name:  DD3668DE-76FA-437E-809E-9A1C2A9852AA.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  3311F1A3-8652-4E19-A8AD-78183AF6E178.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  19.9 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

I've seen sales from time to time for P226 RX slides.

How old is your P226? Does it have a carbon steel slide with an internal extractor or a stainless slide with external extractor? Depending on how old it is I think it's possible an RXP or Pro Cut slide may not even fit on it.

I'm unfamiliar with what the DAK system does to the slide layout, so: can a P229 DAK be cut for a dot, probably either a Holosun 409 or an Acro P2?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with what the DAK system does to the slide layout, so: can a P229 DAK be cut for a dot, probably either a Holosun 409 or an Acro P2?
    Yes it can. The DAK is difference is in the lower.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
    How old is your P226? Does it have a carbon steel slide with an internal extractor or a stainless slide with external extractor? Depending on how old it is I think it's possible an RXP or Pro Cut slide may not even fit on it.
    How can I tell?

This is valuable information so I want to make sure before I start buying things.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    How can I tell?

This is valuable information so I want to make sure before I start buying things.
    Some on here more knowledgeable than I probably knows but you can also call Sig and give your serial number.

Look at the 5th picture here https://blog.gritrsports.com/m11-little-gun-that-could/

If your Sig has a pinned in breech block it has a carbon steel slide and internal extractor and I'm virtually certain can't be milled for a red dot, or at least I'm not aware of anyone who will do it. Whether or not any of the newer slides will fit may depend on how old it is. I've had several P226s but only have 1 older one now and I've never tried to change the slide.

As another poster noted, you can probably contact Sig with the serial number and ask if an RXP or Pro Cut slide will work.

User Tag List