Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression of gun ownership

Site Supporter
    1911’s to Glocks.

Lots of Glocks to end up at Glock 34’s. I was talked out of them by the interwebs many times.

Long guns? You know lots of these things I bought out of concern for bans, etc. it’s basically been a recurring theme my whole adult life.

I imagine things would look different if we didn’t have that constant nagging. I handled an HK SP5 at a gun store this weekend and they’re cool guns. I don’t need one, but I find them interesting but extremely pricey for me. It’d be 3x more than I’d ever spent on any gun.

On the drive home I had the thought “Will I be kicking myself for not buying that depending on how this latest legislation goes in the Senate currently?”.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Yes, although I was lucky in hindsight that I mostly bought, sold, and traded used samples the various pistols that I’ve gone through. Sometimes I sold or traded them away for even money, or even a slight profit. When I’ve lost money, I see that as the price of a long term rental. Many I purchased in the pre-Covid Trump years, which were a buyer’s market, and dumped in the Covid years.0

Although I owned a 1911 as a night stand gun since I turned 21, and shot several thousand rounds through it, I only started really shooting and thinking about shooting 7 years ago when I got my concealed carry permit. I had a Sig P239 in .40/.357 sig for about a year with a P226 set up the same for my night stand. Then a Gen 3 or 4 Glock 19 that I hated and didn’t keep long. Then I had several HKs, a P30, and a P30L for a bit and then several P2000s, both DA/SA and LEM. I eventually ditched them because mounting a Red Dot on the P2000 is expensive, and once you make the cut, you’re stuck with that optic. I have also had a few LTT Berettas, and still have one, but as much as I like shooting it, it doesn’t fill a role.

I’m in the trying it out phase with red dots, so I bought a barely used Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS, and put an RMR on it. I’ve only been able to take it to the range 4 times, because we have a new baby, but so far the trigger is better than most of the Glocks I’ve shot, the hated finger grooves are gone, and the SCD makes me feel as safe as carrying a DA/SA gun. So, I will probably stay with Glocks, for a while.

An interesting question would be, if you could go back in time and tell yourself to save money and not buy all of those other guns, would you? I wouldn’t, because owning and shooting a lot of rounds through a variety of pistols helped me figure out what I wanted and didn’t want. I am also not confused by the “grass is greener on the other side” thoughts that pop up when a new gun comes along because I’ve been over there, and it isn’t.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Certainly have. The path I've been on for a number of years is self funding. Either through classes, gear that I no longer use / need / want, firearms that have have appreciated in value, firearms that I've used the value out of, etc.

For instance, in a recent thread I mentioned the IWI Z15 I picked up. Traded in a USP9c that had seen some miles. Still very serviceable, but at the point were it needed a new RSA, Tritium sights, and I no longer needed the threaded barrel for it. Also in that trade was a PSA lower that I had picked up as insurance against a future ban. So in my mind the USP9c needed about $200 put into it. Instead, I took a pistol I paid $750 for, put many rounds through it, and received a $650 credit for it. Also received the price paid in credit on the PSA, and was able to sell the threaded barrel for profit. Thinned out the heard and received a new rifle.

Also P7M8s have turned a good profit.

I've got a number of very serviceable HKs, and a few pistols of sentimental value. I have not added new money in years, other than a very desirable HK from @willie that was too good to pass up.

I've focused on bringing what I have up to standards, meaning optic, sling, brake, trigger, rather than buying more firearms

The HK heard has been thinned slightly.

Attachment 91996
    Did you want the firing pin too? That's extra.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups.
    I try to think of it as an educational expense.

The best way to figure out if a gun fits your needs is to buy one and shoot it for a while. You learn and grow along the way. Some of the ones that I thought sucked when I started down this path have been reacquired because now that I have more experience my criteria and expectations have changed.

Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ... I am finally happy where I am at and now can focus all the money I used to use chasing guns to ammo instead of both.
    I hope that situation lasts for you for a good long time. I get there and then 3-5 years later something changes my mind about some part of it.....repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Progression...

Well, I started out with a Model 36 S&W in 1983. (To supplement my issued Model 15.)

Bought a Glock 19 in 1988 to carry on and off the job.

Sold the Model 36 and bought a Glock 26 in 1995.

Bought an 870 in 2003 to replace the one I turned back in to my agency.

Bought a 686+ which I kept for a couple years before selling to my neighbor. (Roughly 2015.)

Purchased an AR in 2015 or '16. Just because I didn't have a rifle since turning in my AUG at work.

Added a 642-1 as a walking around gun in 2016 as well. (Always missed that Model 36.)

Purchased a Glock 17 as a dedicated nightstand gun in 2017 or so.

And lastly, bought another G26 (Gen5) a couple years back as a backup to the Gen2.5 It's my travel / LEOSA gun for carry anywhere in the USA. Didn't want to be without if one needed repair.

There. Now you know the whole sordid history.
    Darn, I was hoping for a “dark period” of increasingly out of control 1911 addiction. Or maybe a torrid affair with multiple P7s in the ‘80s, with maybe a Steyr GB tucked away here or there. [emoji3]

Seriously, I’m kinda jealous of older guys who lived through some amazing times, gun-wise. Colt lightweight commanders for $100, new? Back up the truck, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m at the end of a similar journey, although with different guns. I’m not too bent about the money ‘wasted’ because it’s worth it to have finally settled on what really works and is trustworthy for me. I’ll probably buy a few more guns over the years, but doubt there will be more major shifts.

1911s, HK, 2011, p320s, are gone. I’m very happy with Glocks and late-model TDA CZs. (and a Kahr p380 in the mousegun role, replacing a LCP1.2).
    I agree, many guns have gone down the road and I don’t regret any of them, either purchasing or selling. I’m happy with what I have now and I know it works for me. My journey started with CZ and pretty much ended with CZ (with a more robust aftermarket these days which I am grateful for).
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Darn, I was hoping for a “dark period” of increasingly out of control 1911 addiction. Or maybe a torrid affair with multiple P7s in the ‘80s, with maybe a Steyr GB tucked away here or there. [emoji3]

Seriously, I’m kinda jealous of older guys who lived through some amazing times, gun-wise. Colt lightweight commanders for $100, new? Back up the truck, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carried a Series 70 Gov't Model in the late 80's, early 90's. It was an issued firearm, (possibly from a seizure), I inherited from another agent. Carried on regular duty as well as SRT. We got away from cocked and locked as an agency and I had turned it in before that drop dead date due to some issues with the particular gun.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Did you want the firing pin too? That's extra.
    Knew I should have test fired it.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Built all of my lowers from stripped, beyond some ugly toolmarks on one of the cheaper ones I bought, never had any functional issues with any of them, so never felt the urge to replace. I have some 'fun guns' like my S&W post-war revolvers but that's about it.
    Slight thread drift: That's pretty much me, I have purchased one complete lower, a Colt from Brownells, and two complete uppers: a Colt CCU upper from Brownells, and a BCM M4 Upper. The 'marriage' of the Colt upper and lower, as well as the 'marriage' of a LaRue 6.5G Ultimate Upper and a matching Larue stripped lower, are the only rifles I own that are made completely by any manufacturer. And like you, I pretty much use stripped lowers from a variety of manufactures and at this point, put together my own LPK's since I'm generally going to install a LaRue MBT2S, an ambi mag release and an ambi safety. I almost always use BCM blem stripped uppers, ToolCrafts are my default bolts, G/ALG carbon steel gas blocks and Green Mountain's barrels are pretty much my go to choice for that area, although I've used several BA Hanson's and Roscoe Purebreds recently. Never had a problem. As far as I'm concerned if it's 7075-T6, the holes are in the correct place for function, and mags insert and drop free, it's good to go.

Now, if I was going to operate operationally, or equip folks to operate operationally, I'd do things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about people who know exactly how many guns they own and remember all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    No kidding. Guns will come up in conversation, and I’ll suddenly remember that I used to own one. Or, that I still do.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I try not to sell stuff off anymore, I like having it, even if I don't use it very often.
    I'm with you guys. My youngest son came over the other day and I showed him the 9mm 1911 that I'd completed in May. It was the first time in several years that he'd seen the inside of my pistol safe. He about crapped 'do you even know what you have?' 'Yep, got a list.'

In my case, I didn't really start building/buying until two sets of kids were gone, but I've made up for it in the last decade or so.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List