Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression of gun ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    I try to think of it as an educational expense.

The best way to figure out if a gun fits your needs is to buy one and shoot it for a while. You learn and grow along the way. Some of the ones that I thought sucked when I started down this path have been reacquired because now that I have more experience my criteria and expectations have changed.

Live and learn.
    This, all the way. I am both happy and a little embarrassed to say that there really isn’t any handgun design that I don’t know how to manipulate and field strip. I mean, one never knows when they will be called upon to run a single-action revolver or, say, a toggle-action 9mm under duress. It could happen.

And, you’re not a handgun enthusiast unless you’ve bought and sold the same exact model of Glock (eg. 26 or 42) at least 3 times.

Hell, I’m on my third Seecamp, for Pete’s sake.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was spared much of a progression by trying a 1911 early in my shooting journey. Went from M&Ps (his/hers 9mm, 22lr) to 9mm 1911s (several). Did detour to a couple of EMPs, a DW something, and two Kimber HD Pro Carry II while seeking a purse carry option for my wife (unsuccessful). I carried a LEM P2000 in 9mm since in CA commander 1911s were in short supply. Now in Idaho I have transitioned to Staccato for EDC (all the HKs having been sold) with the C2 the best balance of performance, concealability, and capacity as I see things.

Sometime around 2006 I had gotten down to 2 hunting rifles - one .308 and one .280, one hunting shot gun, one 1022, two M1911s, one Ruger Bisley .45 Colt and my Smith M18. I had a lot more before my job got sent to Honduras and my wife and I decided to stay (for the kids sake) instead of chasing work. Most were sold off to make ends meet. After the youngest made it through tech school and got a job, I feel like I have been on a buying spree. I now have more revolvers than I ever had and I still don't have any single actions back. I have 2 of my primary defensive pistols, P365. I have a bunch more that I'm not going to list out, but you get the picture.

I'm buying all of these in hope of one day of having grandkids that I can take to the range, shoot a bunch of rounds and teach them the way of the gun. When they become competent and are of age, I can send them home with the guns we shot that day.

I have made the rank of "enthusiast" by buying and selling 3 G19s (not at once) No matter how hard I try I just can't reach that Glock perfection.

You know that saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun..."? Well, fuck that cheap bastard. I like shooting everything and I'm going to do just that for as long as I can.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've only owned one Glock and can't imagine why I'd buy another one like it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Eh, I enjoy the ones I have. I have fewer than some, more than makes sense to the wife (jk she likes shooting) and no rifles to speak of because I have practically zero use for a rifle at this point in my life. I live in an apartment, don't hunt, don't do 3 gun and my long gun needs are met by my 12 gauge, which I have a lot more practice with than an AR.

Maybe I'll get a 10-22 for steel matches or something tho.

Not every gun I own is for serious bidness. In fact, most are just because I think some guns awesome and I like shooting.

Given the cost of ammo lately I certainly go shooting less than I go to the gym or BJJ, but I still occasionally indulge a new purchase if it's a significant upgrade and I'll fund it with the sale of a gun I'm not as jazzed about.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You know that saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun..."? Well, fuck that cheap bastard. I like shooting everything and I'm going to do just that for as long as I can.
    The people I know with one gun would need a 30 minute head start to find and load it.

I am going through another cycle that has happened before, where I get hot and bothered for some somewhat expensive things and sell a bunch of ordinary things I don't love (and was not using) to get what I want.

Just sold eleven guns and a reloading press and bought four guns and a reloading press, but now I have two 1301s and an RL1100.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I know a lot of people like that. Usually that's the guy who keeps it in his sock drawer for 65 years without firing a single round.

I started with a Ruger P89, Taurus 145, DE 50 and S&W 629 Classic. Some 410 pistol grip pump, Mosin, and a Marlin 22lr. All long gone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I went through it too, untold how much money I lost trading this for that. My phase revolved between TDA Sigs and Glocks. About the time I was issued an M&P my hobby focus turned elsewhere and I just settled for one platform. Been that way for about 5 years now and I've honestly enjoyed more focus on ”how vs. what.” I get excited about other platforms that my wandering eyes see....but I've got more self control now.

My biggest struggle now is what to buy for my son, to put back for him, in the event options are limited for him in the future when he'll hopefully carry on the hereditary gun disease.

User Tag List