Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression of gun ownership

Certainly have. The path I've been on for a number of years is self funding. Either through classes, gear that I no longer use / need / want, firearms that have have appreciated in value, firearms that I've used the value out of, etc.

For instance, in a recent thread I mentioned the IWI Z15 I picked up. Traded in a USP9c that had seen some miles. Still very serviceable, but at the point were it needed a new RSA, Tritium sights, and I no longer needed the threaded barrel for it. Also in that trade was a PSA lower that I had picked up as insurance against a future ban. So in my mind the USP9c needed about $200 put into it. Instead, I took a pistol I paid $750 for, put many rounds through it, and received a $650 credit for it. Also received the price paid in credit on the PSA, and was able to sell the threaded barrel for profit. Thinned out the heard and received a new rifle.

Also P7M8s have turned a good profit.

I've got a number of very serviceable HKs, and a few pistols of sentimental value. I have not added new money in years, other than a very desirable HK from @willie that was too good to pass up.

I've focused on bringing what I have up to standards, meaning optic, sling, brake, trigger, rather than buying more firearms

The HK heard has been thinned slightly.

Name:  20200527_130010.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  91.4 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I like all things that go pew... but most times when I go shoot I have Beretta 92's , S&W K frames and perhaps a 1911 with me. When I do bring a long gun it's typically one of the FSP BCM middies with a aimpoint and light, even though I have a bunch of stuff kitted out with LVPO's, high rise optics, LAM's, suppessors and all the other fancy stuff. I try not to sell stuff off anymore, I like having it, even if I don't use it very often.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Sure, but the thread is about what progression of guns got you here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Progression...

Well, I started out with a Model 36 S&W in 1983. (To supplement my issued Model 15.)

Bought a Glock 19 in 1988 to carry on and off the job.

Sold the Model 36 and bought a Glock 26 in 1995.

Bought an 870 in 2003 to replace the one I turned back in to my agency.

Bought a 686+ which I kept for a couple years before selling to my neighbor. (Roughly 2015.)

Purchased an AR in 2015 or '16. Just because I didn't have a rifle since turning in my AUG at work.

Added a 642-1 as a walking around gun in 2016 as well. (Always missed that Model 36.)

Purchased a Glock 17 as a dedicated nightstand gun in 2017 or so.

And lastly, bought another G26 (Gen5) a couple years back as a backup to the Gen2.5 It's my travel / LEOSA gun for carry anywhere in the USA. Didn't want to be without if one needed repair.

There. Now you know the whole sordid history.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Progression...

Well, I started out with a Model 36 S&W in 1983. (To supplement my issued Model 15.)

Bought a Glock 19 in 1988 to carry on and off the job.

Sold the Model 36 and bought a Glock 26 in 1995.

Bought an 870 in 2003 to replace the one I turned back in to my agency.

Bought a 686+ which I kept for a couple years before selling to my neighbor. (Roughly 2015.)

Purchased an AR in 2015 or '16. Just because I didn't have a rifle since turning in my AUG at work.

Added a 642-1 as a walking around gun in 2016 as well. (Always missed that Model 36.)

Purchased a Glock 17 as a dedicated nightstand gun in 2017 or so.

And lastly, bought another G26 (Gen5) a couple years back as a backup to the Gen2.5 It's my travel / LEOSA gun for carry anywhere in the USA. Didn't want to be without if one needed repair.

There. Now you know the whole sordid history.
    That’s just the first quarter of an average year for some of us…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'm not sure what to think about people who know exactly how many guns they own and remember all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about people who know exactly how many guns they own and remember all of them.
    No kidding. Guns will come up in conversation, and I’ll suddenly remember that I used to own one. Or, that I still do.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That’s just the first quarter of an average year for some of us…
    No doubt. I consider myself fortunate.

My first handgun was a Gen3 G19 in 2011. I’ve strayed away a couple of times over the years since, usually to a P-F flavor of the month like the P30 or PX4, but always came back to basic 9mm double stack Glocks after a little bit. All of my serious use handguns are Glocks now. I have three G19s (one Gen4 with irons two Gen5s with optics) and two G26s (one Gen4 and one Gen5). The only other handguns I own are strictly fun guns I enjoy but rarely shoot like Beretta 92s and S&W K frames. Periodically, I look at other handguns that that everyone seems to be really excited about like 2011s but I don’t even seriously consider buying one. I’ve reached the point where I’m content with the Glocks.

The process of streamlining long guns has been less efficient. I built or bought a bunch of ARs which I sold shortly thereafter as soon as they got boring. I slightly regret getting rid of two of them but only slightly. I played around with an AUG for a bit but didn’t fall in love. I sold it during covid when someone made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I like my Beretta 1301 a lot but, since there are no shotguns at work, any serious long gun use is with guns the have AR style manuals of arms. I do absolutely adore my APC9. I know there’s not much reason for a 9mm subgun in 2022 with guns like the Sig Rattler in existence that can do everything a 9mm subgun can do and a whole lot more that one can’t do. Doesn’t change how much I like the APC. It’s also nice to be able to go to the range with only 9mm. I’m seriously considering making the APC my default home defense long gun once I SBR it and get a suppressor for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

I think "Tony", @jmck calls them "Democrats". (At least, as he once jokingly referred to me during a phone conversation. It still cracks me up. )

Progression of gun ownership

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups. …
    I finally have gotten to a place where I am completely happy and content.
    I’m at the end of a similar journey, although with different guns. I’m not too bent about the money ‘wasted’ because it’s worth it to have finally settled on what really works and is trustworthy for me. I’ll probably buy a few more guns over the years, but doubt there will be more major shifts.

1911s, HK, 2011, p320s, are gone. I’m very happy with Glocks and late-model TDA CZs. (and a Kahr p380 in the mousegun role, replacing a LCP1.2).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List