Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black powder firearms

Black powder firearms

I didn't see a thread on black powder firearms, so here we are! Doesn't have to be an antique or a replica, the modern stuff is welcome too! Let's see those front stuffers, rock locks, in-lines and cap and ball revolvers!

I don't remember how, but somewhere along the line I became fascinated with antique underhammer designs. Probably has something to do with my old man liking Studebakers and I inherited the gene for liking oddball stuff from him. Anyway, I picked this up brand new from Track of the Wolf about 7 years ago but haven't busted a cap on it yet. It's supposed to be based on a William Ashton design and built by Rod Olsen in Nebraska, .40 caliber 4-1/4" octagon-to-round barrel with walnut furniture.

Name:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  32.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I picked up a couple tins of CCI caps at a Walmart in SW Ohio yesterday. Might be worth checking for anyone in need as I’d not seen them for quite some time. I have a .50 caliber T/C Renegade I want to work with more later in the year.

Ive long liked many types of black powder muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge guns. Ive had them off and on over the years and recently started becoming more interested in them again.

Ive had percussion pistols more regularly than long guns. One Uberti 1851 Navy showed up in a local shop some years ago priced at $125 i believe, it was fired and uncleaned, some dings and wear, and nobody was interested. After a couple months I asked if i could clean it and look at it, he said sure. It had only minor pitting in the bore, $100 out the door. Another shop had an Uberti 1860 Army for $150, it came home.

Id like to find another Shiloh Sharps percussion carbine, I had an early NY one with No 874 serial in 50 cal, it shot very well.

The traditional American rifles tend to have deep crescent butt plates, which ive come to dislike hugely. No disrespect, but I dont need a tutorial on how to shoulder them, they suck, they dont fit me, generally have way too much drop, and I dislike them greatly, with very few exceptions, The English or shotgun buitt is a vast improvement, my tastes have drifted towards English style rifles.

More later, that dog appears to be starving and refuses to allow me to do anything but feed her. It seems to be a life or death matter....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Uberti Colt Navy copy, yard safari.

Name:  IMG_2612.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  36.1 KB

Colt black box 3rd Dragoon

Name:  IMG_1732.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  51.7 KB

Target from Uberti 1860 Colt Army copy, 15 yards, one hand, 5 shots. it seems to shoot ok. Id like to do a few things to it, but never seem to find the time.

Name:  1860 target.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

English flintlocks deeply interest me. A nice pair of small pistols by Henry Nock of London. A bit out of my budget, but one can dream and appreciate the finer things.

Name:  H Nock short pistols pair.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  55.1 KB

I have a project Thompson Center Renegade. They are often dismissed by traditionalists, including myself formerly, for their shorter than common for period barrel, and non-crescent butt plate and other style faux pas. Ive come to appreciate much of that in the recent past, since starting to understand English rifle style more. Im changing it to traditional sights (English express 2 leaf rear and silver blade front), lock screw escutcheon, trigger guard, and a couple other small details, possibly an English butt plate, and Ive filed the comb down a bit to fit me better. I think it has potential for a bit nicer than average style than most renegades. It may also end up being the donor gun for an 1868 Trapdoor sporter, as its a 50 cal with 1" barrel. I have a complete 1868 50-70 trapdoor action waiting for a project to happen, or for me to die of old age and for it to go live in someone elses parts box, whichever comes first.

Most people here can happily geek out about the up to date plastic pistols, carbines, and whatnot, most of which is pretty meh to me beyond seeming like one ought to own an example of modern stuff, but I can very much geek out on English sporting flintlocks and pistols, many flint to percussion period military rifles (particularly Sharps) and pistols and many other muzzle loading and early cartridge guns up the the 1890s or so, with honorable mentioned for Mauser bolt sporters and 1903 Springfield sporters. The 1866 and 1873 Winchesters hold a particular fascination for me, largely related to their association with the frontier period of American western history. A carbine example of either loaded with black powder loads sounds like almost too much fun.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-24-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have an original 18th century French Flintlock rifle and an original slavers flintlock pistol. I also have an original (1884 production I think) Winchester 1873 in .32-20 that I'm getting ready to restore.

In addition, I have several black powder replica firearms including the following at this time:

Hawken rifle kit that my grandfather built
    Uberti Colt 1849 Pocket "Wells Fargo"
    Uberti Colt 1851 Navy
    Pietta Remington 1858
    Pietta Colt 1860 Army with a 3" barrel
    Pietta 1862 Police that is not an 1862 Police... It's more of a fluted chamber 1861 Navy

… and the below revolver. This one is kinda cool. It was given to me by a coworker. He was given a couple revolvers from someone who shot them one time, never cleaned them, and they sat for a number of years. They were rusted up real good. I put them in a container with some Marvel Mystery Oil and over a period of about two years I got this one loose and went to work cleaning it up. The other was too far gone and had to be trashed. I still can't get the nipples off, and I'm not sure I'll even try as I just love the look of it as a display. With the pitting and patina it almost looks original to me...

Last edited by SoCalDep; 09-10-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Colt black box 3rd Dragoon

Name:  IMG_1732.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB
    Nice.

I recently went all the way down the Colt 2nd gen percussion revolver rabbit hole. Whole thing was fascinating. I came away with two conclusions: 1) I need a pair of the black box F-series Walkers because Josey Wales and 2) ...I forget what 2 was, probably something to do with Josey Wales. That or I need to buy a copy of Adler's book on the topic.

That Dragoon looks right at home.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    There’s a guy named Jim Kibler out of Ohio that does some beautiful work on traditional long rifles and also offers kits of the same. I’ve been tempted to “pull the trigger” on more than one occasion, but the number of projects I got going on always keeps me from it.

One day.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

The shop owner let me pick it up before I had it paid off so I could get it sighted in before the muzzleloader season in a few weeks which I took the first 2 days off.

A TC renegade. I've had a 54 TC hawken when I was in highschool but sold it after the Marines for some stupid reason.
    Name:  IMG_20221003_112716.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  93.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    A TC renegade. I've had a 54 TC hawken when I was in highschool but sold it after the Marines for some stupid reason.
    Got a load in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Got a load in mind?

I'll start with 80gr pyrodex rs and go from there. That's what I used in my .54 with round balls and .2 patches

User Tag List