Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have a Cerakote company we like?

Do we have a Cerakote company we like?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  101.9 KB
    #RESIST

Why Cerakote and not nitride? Or is that failing nitride we're looking at?

I’ve followed Joint Force Enterprises for many years and sent them a small amount of things that they did excellent work on. They’re a pretty big name though so I wouldn’t be surprised if their turnaround time is slow. Blown Deadline is the only other one I’ve seen so much that I remember their name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun would look fine with the rust cleaned off.
    Holosight needs refinish, but what? You can't bakecit.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Why Cerakote and not nitride? Or is that failing nitride we're looking at?
    Nitride and sure on nitride if it’s not terribly expensive. Maybe I’ll ask Brownells if they’ll refinish it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Gun would look fine with the rust cleaned off.
    Holosight needs refinish, but what? You can't bakecit.
    I cleaned the rust off, not worried about looks, I’m worried about corrosion. I’m not worried about the Holosun at all.
    #RESIST

Critical Kote in Sterling is supposed to be good.

I'd recommend against Cerakote in general, though. It will still wear away in those high-wear spots and rust again since the base metal apparently isn't nitrocarburized like a legacy Glock slide or HK slide, where the black oxide coating is really just aesthetic and the top layer of steel itself is transformed into a corrosion-resistant state. So, you're just going to be back at square 1....

I'd go for an IonBond finish. DLC, Diamondblack, etc. It's what's used on the 2nd generation of M45A1 pistols and the Glock 19M, and has stellar protection and wear resistance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Critical Kote in Sterling is supposed to be good.

I'd recommend against Cerakote in general, though. It will still wear away in those high-wear spots and rust again since the base metal apparently isn't nitrocarburized like a legacy Glock slide or HK slide, where the black oxide coating is really just aesthetic and the top layer of steel itself is transformed into a corrosion-resistant state. So, you're just going to be back at square 1....

I'd go for an IonBond finish. DLC, Diamondblack, etc. It's what's used on the 2nd generation of M45A1 pistols and the Glock 19M, and has stellar protection and wear resistance.
    TGS hit the nail on the head.

For aluminum parts, Cerakote is a fairly decent finish. I still much prefer anodizing as that tends to wear much better. With Aluminum, we really don't worry about corrosion the same way we do with steel. Once the cerakote starts to wear, you're going to immediately see corrosion in those spots. On a "high wear" item like a slide, cerakote just doesn't last. Especially since you seem to be one that is actually using that pistol versus having it sit around in a safe.

I think you're on track with reaching out to brownells to see what they have to say bout that level of wear. Short of you running that bitch over with a truck, my current pistols seem to be holding up fairly well to holster wear and general shooting duties. Especially my gen 5 pistols.

Example of cerakote on a hard use pistol. If it wasn't good enough for Chesty, it's not good enough for you:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I can't say I was super chuffed w/ the "Decobond" finish on my ~2016 mfg m45a1. It wasn't a shooter much less a high-mileage gun and you could see bare metal between the frame / grip safety and a couple other places. I wonder if that was just a bad job w/ the application. The sample-of-one finish didn't sell me on it.

I still think where melonite/nitride/tennifer/whatever is an answer, it's the answer.

User Tag List