Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A 2011 Using Shield G48 Magazines; The AF1911-S15

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Like a double stack version of the Springfield EMP.
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. But maybe this won’t deliver on that.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Everybody loves the 1911SA trigger, at least for precision shooting.
    Some people want a SA with a thumb safety.
    Nobody wants a grip safety.

The 1911 is very modular, but it has many parts that are not really needed: plunger tube, mainspring housing, grip safety, barrel bushing, etc... even the swinging link for the barrel is outdated and unnecessar, and the extractor is a PITA compared to a modern one.
    Other than the swinging link, the EDC X9 fixes / eliminates all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The 2011 could be redesigned to take "normal" 9 mm mags that are very reliable, but this would take altering every dimension of the original gun... The resulting gun would be svelte and lighter.

But WHY would anybody want such a SA 1911ish double stack 9mm pistol? Almost every part would be proprietary, not interchangeable with a 2011/1911.

Everybody loves the 1911SA trigger, at least for precision shooting.
    Some people want a SA with a thumb safety.
    Nobody wants a grip safety.

The 1911 is very modular, but it has many parts that are not really needed: plunger tube, mainspring housing, grip safety, barrel bushing, etc... even the swinging link for the barrel is outdated and unnecessar, and the extractor is a PITA compared to a modern one.
    I have zero problems with the grip safety, and I like it a lot for appendix carry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Other than the swinging link, the EDC X9 fixes / eliminates all of this.
    The EDC9 checks all the boxes on paper but I’ve found it “meh” in reality. Especially for the price.

I wonder if the changes necessary to accommodate the Walther mags @TiroFijo mentioned contribute to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I have zero problems with the grip safety, and I like it a lot for appendix carry.
    Likewise, and while I have no idea what the percentage breakdown of 1911 users would be, I know we're not alone in liking the grip safety.

I've shot an EDCX9 briefly and liked it, and if I were to decide I needed a double stack it would probably be my first choice (unless the DWX stops being vaporware). I'd miss the grip safety though.

I agree that for the civilian carry market there should be more 1911-ish guns taking double stack mags that aren't 2011 pattern. 2011s are fat, bulky guns, especially compared to a 1911, which is very svelte and arguably one of the easiest full sized guns to conceal. I'm simply not interested in a 2011 for carry. Sure, double the capacity compared to a single stack 9, but also about twice as hard to conceal. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Just curious, what kind of issues did you have the Shield Arms mags?

The thing also will take factory G48 mags, as well. My grossly oversimplified perspective on mag design is that double stacks feed better because the rounds tend to nose-down less when they feed... but... it is a factory Glock mag. I'd bet it's gonna work.
    Had 10 s15s gen 1 and gen 2. Some would run fine will random round count (500 to 1k then stop working). This is out of 3 different g48/g43x.

Want a better engineered 15 round for a g48

Site Supporter
    Hmm. That's not reassuring.

I was going to ask if the gen 1 vs. gen 2 design made any difference. I guess not. Maybe, given that, the OG G48 mags would be the way to go with this thing.

A Wilson EDC [SF]X9 is certainly a proven option that mitigates any of the concerns germane to this discussion. But... 3 grand. I know, I know "What's your life worth?" And it's not like I couldn't sell off a handful of the ~20 handguns I currently own to easily cover the cost.

But...

Three thousand dollars? I just... I dunno...
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List