Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 2011 Using Shield G48 Magazines; The AF1911-S15

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I do not know how I feel about it. I had issues when I tried the shield arms mags and have been hesitant to get some again. And having a pistol the primarily ran on them. Gives me the willies. I’m glad to hear about Psa. I’m sure version 3.5 or so will be gtg lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just curious, what kind of issues did you have the Shield Arms mags?

The thing also will take factory G48 mags, as well. My grossly oversimplified perspective on mag design is that double stacks feed better because the rounds tend to nose-down less when they feed... but... it is a factory Glock mag. I'd bet it's gonna work.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Meh. I can't see choosing this over Wilson's design which uses Mec-Gar produced magazines descended from the Walter PPQ. That's a pretty bulletproof magazine. If your hangup is the mag, then you aren't going to find a better solution.

For that matter, Staccato has pretty much solved the 2011 magazine problem with their GEN3s...(they run, though they have their quirks).
    This will likely end up 1/2 the cost of a Wilson, and is much smaller then a Staccato, so its an attractive niche.

That said, I'm amazed we haven't seen MecGar release their own version of the 15rd metal G48 mag.

Is 2011 code for any 1911 style gun with a non single stack mag? To me a 2011 has the two piece grip / frame assembly. A great system for competition guns, but for EDC I prefer the simplicity of the EDC X9.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    ... but... it is a factory Glock mag. I'd bet it's gonna work.
    I have several AWB era Glock mags that would disagree.

Just curious, what kind of issues did you have the Shield Arms mags?

The thing also will take factory G48 mags, as well. My grossly oversimplified perspective on mag design is that double stacks feed better because the rounds tend to nose-down less when they feed... but... it is a factory Glock mag. I'd bet it's gonna work.
    When I used my carry ammo I had multiple failures. Rounds stuck feeding, double feed and not locking back. This was on two different mags. That was enough for me to call it a no go.

I understand taking g48 factory mags. But then it’s only ten rounds. So I’ll take a DW 9mm at that point.

I’m not familiar with Alpha Foxtrot. Do they make good guns? This thing looks pretty neat. I’m curious what actual dimensions are. The only thing I found posted on the website was weight.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    When I used my carry ammo I had multiple failures. Rounds stuck feeding, double feed and not locking back. This was on two different mags. That was enough for me to call it a no go.

I understand taking g48 factory mags. But then it’s only ten rounds. So I’ll take a DW 9mm at that point.

Interesting.

Will be curious to see what kind of luck people have with these things. I had a Springfield EMP and while I liked the idea of it, reliability-wise it was… not particularly inspiring. To that point, I’d be fine running the S15 with 10-round G48 mags if they prove to work better. Still would hold more than the EMP, with a thinner grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I made a mad dash for the gun case...

The 2011 magazine is made to handle 1911 length and diameter rounds up to .38 Super and .45 ACP.
    So the common 9mm magazines are both shorter and narrower. No obvious reason not to cut a magazine well smaller.

The hangup is that the 2011 magazine has a longer taper down from double column to center feed than those common 9mms. I poked Glock 17, Sig P226, CZ75, and SW M&P magazines into a STI and all stopped with their short taper against the long tapered narrowing of the magazine rails of the 2011 frame, well short of lip-to-ramp feed alignment.

Maybe that could be changed. Sounds like a job for Eighty Percent Man and his trusty sidekick, 3D Printer Driver.

AF has done it although with a strange choice of magazines to adapt.
    The 2011 could be redesigned to take "normal" 9 mm mags that are very reliable, but this would take altering every dimension of the original gun... The resulting gun would be svelte and lighter.

But WHY would anybody want such a SA 1911ish double stack 9mm pistol? Almost every part would be proprietary, not interchangeable with a 2011/1911.

Everybody loves the 1911SA trigger, at least for precision shooting.
    Some people want a SA with a thumb safety.
    Nobody wants a grip safety.

The 1911 is very modular, but it has many parts that are not really needed: plunger tube, mainspring housing, grip safety, barrel bushing, etc... even the swinging link for the barrel is outdated and unnecessar, and the extractor is a PITA compared to a modern one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The 2011 could be redesigned to take "normal" 9 mm mags that are very reliable, but this would take altering every dimension of the original gun... The resulting gun would be svelte and lighter.
    That’s kinda what I hoped this thing was accomplishing.

Pretty much what Wilson did to generate the EDC X9 family, isn't it?
    But talk about "proprietary," it is there.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    That’s kinda what I hoped this thing was accomplishing.
    Like a double stack version of the Springfield EMP.

User Tag List