Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A 2011 Using Shield G48 Magazines; The AF1911-S15

Site Supporter

A 2011 Using Shield G48 Magazines; The AF1911-S15

Apparently a new 2011 variant which utilizes Shield Arms G48 /G43X magazines.

https://alphafoxtrot.us/af1911-S15?f...sCEVUUK7k-FXi4

Name:  1F618434-19E1-4841-B4DE-19AC002A4C8B.jpeg
Views: 1249
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  A1B58460-6129-4191-AEE6-DECA0F4C1F56.jpeg
Views: 1291
Size:  86.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Yeah, this looks pretty cool. Sootch and Rider's Range have videos on it...

Sootch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwbpVz7z08

RR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEL8RdD1ND0

I think these are pre-production? I don't see any for sale yet...
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

@HCM

I likey!

Would likey more if they had an optics cut!

Currently falls under a similar niche for me as the Wilson Combat X9. Would love to see a head to head.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a 2011 grip frame around the different common 9mm double stack mags.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I made a mad dash for the gun case...

The 2011 magazine is made to handle 1911 length and diameter rounds up to .38 Super and .45 ACP.
    So the common 9mm magazines are both shorter and narrower. No obvious reason not to cut a magazine well smaller.

The hangup is that the 2011 magazine has a longer taper down from double column to center feed than those common 9mms. I poked Glock 17, Sig P226, CZ75, and SW M&P magazines into a STI and all stopped with their short taper against the long tapered narrowing of the magazine rails of the 2011 frame, well short of lip-to-ramp feed alignment.

Maybe that could be changed. Sounds like a job for Eighty Percent Man and his trusty sidekick, 3D Printer Driver.

AF has done it although with a strange choice of magazines to adapt.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I find myself wondering/thinking/hoping this thing might have some advantages in terms of feeding reliability, since it can use what seems like (maybe) a more conventional double stack mag design, in a gun made with more 9mm-specific dimensions. Plus, I’d be inclined to trust legit G48 mags, double stack or not.

PSA is developing their own 15rd magazine for the G43/G48 + their new Micro Dagger that uses the same mags.

In theory that should also be compatible with this micro 2011.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    PSA is developing their own 15rd magazine for the G43/G48 + their new Micro Dagger that uses the same mags.

In theory that should also be compatible with this micro 2011.
    That's interesting. Seems like there won't be a shortage of mag options for this gun.

I wonder if more manufacturers are going to jump on the "use an existing/proven magazine for a new gun" concept?

Wilson kinda pioneered that with the EDC X9. They essentially used the PPQ mag tube, from what I understand.

I do not know how I feel about it. I had issues when I tried the shield arms mags and have been hesitant to get some again. And having a pistol the primarily ran on them. Gives me the willies. I’m glad to hear about Psa. I’m sure version 3.5 or so will be gtg lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh. I can't see choosing this over Wilson's design which uses Mec-Gar produced magazines descended from the Walter PPQ. That's a pretty bulletproof magazine. If your hangup is the mag, then you aren't going to find a better solution.

For that matter, Staccato has pretty much solved the 2011 magazine problem with their GEN3s...(they run, though they have their quirks).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List