Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice new load.

Nice new load.

I've been loading up 158gr wn-swc over 5gr w231 for a 915fps. Not quite as fast as me be-86 load but pretty close

For a service load a 158gr swc @ 900-1000fps is about ideal imo for a .38.

It really doesn't recoil hard in k frames. It's very accurate and I figure it will do about what a .38 can do.
    Name:  IMG_20221025_100719.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20221115_171145~2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  57.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Any specific bullet you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Any specific bullet you are using?
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...per-800-1.html

Site Supporter
    I have played with be at those velocity but haven’t tried the win thank you

To the OP: I've shot thousands of those Rimrock pellets and they are a great load. Just bought my first can of CFE Pistol I would be interested in the velocity from a 3" using the aforementioned pellet? That is with the CFE Pistol charge. Don't need the charge weight just the velocity and if it is a +P rating. Thinking about running your load or similar one in a 2" Colt Night Cobra and/or a KC 3".

Thanks, I appreciate your work with the 38/357 platform.

PS: Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today looking for 38/357 ammo. Found, literally, thousands of rounds of 9mm Luger for sale. Not one round of 38 Special or 357 Magnum in the store. Wow, I'm waiting for the spring clearance sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    To the OP: I've shot thousands of those Rimrock pellets and they are a great load. Just bought my first can of CFE Pistol I would be interested in the velocity from a 3" using the aforementioned pellet? That is with the CFE Pistol charge. Don't need the charge weight just the velocity and if it is a +P rating. Thinking about running your load or similar one in a 2" Colt Night Cobra and/or a KC 3".

Thanks, I appreciate your work with the 38/357 platform.

PS: Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today looking for 38/357 ammo. Found, literally, thousands of rounds of 9mm Luger for sale. Not one round of 38 Special or 357 Magnum in the store. Wow, I'm waiting for the spring clearance sale.

Unfortunately I've never used cfe pistol but I've heard good things. I think Brian Peirce has used it to good effect for .38

Well, I purchased a pound of CFE Pistol yesterday. Found a web page after posting here yesterday called "Shooter's Reference Manual" it appears to be a compilation of reloading manuals from different factory sources.

They had a couple of loads listing CFE Pistol that was impressive and stayed under the upper limit of +P which is 20,000 psi. Also had a couple for BE86 so I will check those out and chrono them when the weather is cooperating. I'll use my Colt KC 3" and my Night Cobra 2". Will post when I have them.

Looking for NEW 38 Special brass to test these in. All my brass is many times fired and while serviceable it has various issues for testing the above mentioned loads. These concerns concern uniformity and dimensions of the case.

I'll be in touch

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Well, I purchased a pound of CFE Pistol yesterday. Found a web page after posting here yesterday called "Shooter's Reference Manual" it appears to be a compilation of reloading manuals from different factory sources.

They had a couple of loads listing CFE Pistol that was impressive and stayed under the upper limit of +P which is 20,000 psi. Also had a couple for BE86 so I will check those out and chrono them when the weather is cooperating. I'll use my Colt KC 3" and my Night Cobra 2". Will post when I have them.

Looking for NEW 38 Special brass to test these in. All my brass is many times fired and while serviceable it has various issues for testing the above mentioned loads. These concerns concern uniformity and dimensions of the case.

I'll be in touch
    This site?
    https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/

I couldn’t find one that had “manual” in the title

Gyro-F16 yes that is the one. Recognize data in the 38 Special section coming from Hodgdon and Alliant.

Looks like you should be able to get close to 1000fps. Or at least 900 in a 3" gun

User Tag List