Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LA highway heist: Thieves make off with millions in gems, gold

LA highway heist: Thieves make off with millions in gems, gold

#RESIST

Old school, high brow criminality. No mess, no fuss, no bother, no shots fired. A breath of fresh air versus a weekend in Baltimore.

"Stepped away from the truck for a few minutes", "Things that make you go Hmmm."
    Last edited by wvincent; 07-23-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    "Stepped away from the truck for a few minutes", "Things that you go Hmmm."
    50k/minute is a good hourly wage bump, true that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    "Stepped away from the truck for a few minutes", "Things that you go Hmmm."

Yeah, I'd be shocked if those two guards weren't in on it. I don't work for Brinks, but I'm pretty sure it's industry standard that the driver doesn't leave the vehicle, ever.

According to the article, a "heavily-guarded" truck. If it was an especially valuable load, as the article seems to convey, then maybe they should've put more than 2 guys on it, and maybe have instituted some random countermeasures...like swapping out crew members with no advance notice, that sort of stuff.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Both guards stepping away for half an hour from a truck carrying $100M in easily fenced goods is definitely a huge red flag. I’d be curious what their phone records show.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I worked for a different armored car company when I first came back to the US. The rule was the truck always had to be occupied when loaded. Generally whoever was in the truck stayed in the driver's seat, but I don't think it was an official rule.

Any time I see an armored car heist I tend to think inside job first and foremost. Without someone inside or good intel, you've no idea if the truck is full of millions in paper money or boxes of coins to deliver to banks. You'd be shitty to risk your life taking down an armored car to discover $50k in small change for rural banks. Coins get heavy fast.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I worked as an armored truck guard in Phoenix for about 8 years so I have some insight into this. I share the feeling that this was an inside job as no one but the guards should have even known what was in the truck and both of them stepping away is a huge red flag. Someone ALWAYS had to stay with the truck where I worked. The article does not mention it but the locking systems on these trucks are pretty stout and so the truck was also likely left unlocked. The two guards have or shortly will be fired and will get to spend several years under survalance by the FBI. How they plan to use their part of the heist under said conditions I have no idea.

There are some other oddities. These companies are notoriously cheap so it's unlikely that they would have spread the load out into multiple trucks, even if the value of the load was over the insurance limit for the truck they just would not have cared. However I do have to say they my company would have at least sent a chase vehicle and/or a third guard with the truck back when I was doing this.

Frankly is suppressing this does not happen more often. Contrary to their depections in movies these guards are not exactly a bunch of professionals. In the 8 years I worked as a guard I saw some serious corner cutting. We were so desperate for people that are one point they were sending out guys out of uniform and not yet certified to drive the trucks. This ended for a bit after AZ DPS pulled one of the trucks over due to it being obviously suspicious that the driver had no uniform. Several thousand dollars in fines later the new drivers were given spare uniform shirts to borrow while they waited for their guard cards to come.

Things got worse in the industry over the 8 years I worked there. I now understand that the starting pay is now below McDonald's and the guards have to pay for their own training. Why anyone would do it at this point is beyond me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kommander` View Post
    I worked as an armored truck guard in Phoenix for about 8 years so I have some insight into this. I share the feeling that this was an inside job as no one but the guards should have even known what was in the truck and both of them stepping away is a huge red flag. Someone ALWAYS had to stay with the truck where I worked. The article does not mention it but the locking systems on these trucks are pretty stout and so the truck was also likely left unlocked. The two guards have or shortly will be fired and will get to spend several years under survalance by the FBI. How they plan to use their part of the heist under said conditions I have no idea.

There are some other oddities. These companies are notoriously cheap so it's unlikely that they would have spread the load out into multiple trucks, even if the value of the load was over the insurance limit for the truck they just would not have cared. However I do have to say they my company would have at least sent a chase vehicle and/or a third guard with the truck back when I was doing this.

Frankly is suppressing this does not happen more often. Contrary to their depections in movies these guards are not exactly a bunch of professionals. In the 8 years I worked as a guard I saw some serious corner cutting. We were so desperate for people that are one point they were sending out guys out of uniform and not yet certified to drive the trucks. This ended for a bit after AZ DPS pulled one of the trucks over due to it being obviously suspicious that the driver had no uniform. Several thousand dollars in fines later the new drivers were given spare uniform shirts to borrow while they waited for their guard cards to come.

Things got worse in the industry over the 8 years I worked there. I now understand that the starting pay is now below McDonald's and the guards have to pay for their own training. Why anyone would do it at this point is beyond me.
    Agreed on all counts. It was the biggest clown show I've ever been a part of. Lack of training, lack of quality personnel, low pay, lousy equipment. Hell, the trucks aren't even *that* armored if you know how they are built. Even worse I see those ATM service vans that are basically begging to be knocked over. You know they are humping cassettes of cash and they don't even look long gun proof.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

FNC reports the 2 truck employees have been arrested. Here are their mugshots.

Name:  8D876D1C-4394-4837-8A5D-16A11B836BCC.jpeg
Views: 541
Size:  28.9 KB

Seriously, this screams inside job. Like, rank amateur inside job.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-23-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List