Thread: Dead Air Sierra 5 Suppressor

Dead Air Sierra 5 Suppressor

Sage Dynamics review of the Sierra 5.

TL;DR, Aaron was very pleased.

My first can, a Sandman S for my 300BO, is in jail and I’ve been told the first can is but a gateway to more. I have KeyMo mounts on the 300BO as well as a few 5.56 guns in anticipation of freedom day. Perhaps this Sierra 5 will be next up.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Sage Dynamics review of the Sierra 5.

TL;DR, Aaron was very pleased.

My first can, a Sandman S for my 300BO, is in jail and I’ve been told the first can is but a gateway to more. I have KeyMo mounts on the 300BO as well as a few 5.56 guns in anticipation of freedom day. Perhaps this Sierra 5 will be next up.

Definitely a gateway! Haven’t even gotten my first one yet and already have a Nomad 30 in my cart. I’ve been going back and forth between the Sierra and Nomad. It’s going to primarily sit on my 556. The Nomad is winning so far. Even after watching this video it seems like the Nomad sounded better on 556 then the Sierra. Plus I’m hoping the thicker diameter will help with reducing blowback.

That little bit of dropped length and weight is nice. The knurling on the tube is also really nice...I hate how smooth the Sandman is. First world problems.

Site Supporter
    Name:  20230915_124739.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  20230915_124743.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  15.3 KB

Gun: Dead Air Sierra 5 suppressor
    Setting: Range
    How did it fail: front set of mount “teeth” broke off / blew out during firing.
    What was the remedy: replaced OEM mount with generic dead air hub mount.
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: someone else’s

This occurred on the owner’s second range session with this can. Total round count under 500.

It was mounted in a SOLGW 11.5” Factory SBR

I recently took possession of a Sierra 5 so it's disappointing to hear about all these issues. Unfortunately I was about six months into the wait before I started reading about the issues. I guess I'll run it and see what happens.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

I just picked one up a couple weeks ago, and finally got to shoot it today. I only got about 50 rounds through it, and unfortunately mine is now rattling inside. I'm going to try to get it sent in for warranty tomorrow.

I wanted to add: for the 40 - 50 rounds that I was able to put through it, it sounded great to me. I know that's subjective, but I was with one of my friends that had a SF RC2 and from the little we were able to compare, the Sierra 5 sounded good. I wish I was better about describing sounds, but the tone was surprising to me for how small the Sierra 5 is (mine is the Xeno mount version).

A couple of things I will mention: it is extremely gassy from my short time with it. I was shooting it on factory Centurion 11.5" FBI upper with a PRI Gasbuster CH; so 0.069 gas port. I know that is by no means a dedicated suppressed sized gas port, but it is also not a hogged out gas port size. For reference, my friend's Colt 10.3" upper (I believe his gas port is no smaller than 0.070) with SF RC2 set up with a GI charging handle had noticeably less gas to the face. The Sierra 5 had everything spitting in my face; gas, carbon, lube etc.

I know a lot of people like the Xeno mount. I noticed that mine was very easy to take the suppressor off after shooting. I thought it was too easy. I know I torqued the suppressor on pretty tight (by hand, I did not use any tools to mount the suppressor) and taking it off required barely any force. It *felt to me like it would have started to walk off the mount soon if I were to go past 40 - 50 rounds. I wish I could investigate this further, but as per my above post my Sierra 5 is deadlined for now.

I had a last minute TDY come up, so I wasn't able to get it sent out yet but I will try on Monday morning. I'm really hoping that they fix it, so I can move it over to a smaller gas port dedicated suppressed set up. So far Dead Air did send me an RMA without any issue. From reading around on other forums I see a lot of people are past waiting 100+ days on their RMA's. I'm hoping mine doesn't take that long, but I should have a couple SF RC2's getting approved any week now.

If you were to ask me if I recommend a Sierra 5 today, I would say hold off until this issue gets sorted out. I have no insider info, I have never worked in the suppressor industry, and I have no idea what the issue with Sierra 5 baffles coming loose is (I don't know if it's a manufacturing issue or material issue). Dead Air hasn't really made any statements on it that I am aware of, other than that they are getting the issue resolved. I don't know how many Siearra 5's are/were defective; there hasn't been any Serial number ranges given that I'm aware of.

I think the silver lining here, for me, is that mine failed right away and I don't have to keep wondering if today is the day my Sierra 5 will go down every time I shoot it. I'm sure Dead Air will get the issue resolved eventually, but as of right now I don't think anyone other than Dead Air knows what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.

User Tag List