Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Sig SAO 226 Legion

Tell me about the Sig SAO 226 Legion

850.00?

I'm seeing several in this price range.

Do they fit regular P226 holsters?

Anyone got range time on one?

I have owned P226 SAO Legion for a couple of years now and it is an excellent pistol with a very good trigger. I bought mine well after buying a TDA P226 Legion, and several months after buying a P226RX SAO which is an outstanding pistol. I changed out the mainsprings in both pistols to a Wolff 17lb one which made for a nicer trigger. Interestingly enough the Legion trigger isn't quite as good as the RX. Overall though, the Legion features added to a really nice trigger make for a hell of a pistol.

Holster choice is kind of iffy. In my limited experience the big safety levers won't allow it to fit in molded Kydex. However it will fit in the leather holster I bought from Wilson Combat which isn't designated specifically for either TDA or SAO.

BTW...... If you can find a new SAO Legion for $850, buy it!

The P226 Legion SAO is an excellent pistol. At $850, truly a steal. As to the holster issue, it really depends on the holster, its cut, and its purpose. It is likely to fit many of the duty-style holsters that accommodate several pistols that are adjustable (Safariland as an example), but as mentioned previously, there are no guarantees. In the Kydex realm, again it depends on cut, but typically if any plastic runs as a barrier to the rear of the slide, the safety levers will require some accommodation. Blackpoint Tactical produces the kydex for the Sig Legion series on their website, so that is a vendor who fully accommodates, even if you don't buy the Legion branded version through Sig. Long story short, most folks who make Kydex for Sig should certainly know the difference by now, and have notes as to whether or not their holster will accommodate the pistol. When in doubt, email the vendor as YMMV.

The only P226 that REALLY had big issues with holster supply is the Mk25, as its full-size rail requires a completely different mold in many cases (Blackpoint Tac again being an exception, their Legion P226 SAO actually accommodates the Mk25 without issue).

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    850.00?

I'm seeing several in this price range.

Do they fit regular P226 holsters?

Anyone got range time on one?
    Assuming low/mid height sweat guards, yes they'll fit every standard P226R holster. High sweat guards might interfere with the safety. It fit my Safariland 6378 fine.

I liked it enough that I sold my custom 1911s because it replaced them in every way I used a SAO pistol (gaming, range fun). I traded it for a 1301T because I wanted a smaller shotgun than my 1301C and realized I prefer DA/SA triggers over the SAO.

If I was going to get into a SAO for any reason, it would be the P226 Legion.

Thanks for the replies.

Did Sig fix the finish problem? The one I'm looking at is black.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that SIG changed finishes in the Legion pistols. Haven't had any finish problems on mine but I don't carry.

Oops... Didn't mean to mislead. The Legion holster made by Blackpoint Tactical made for my TDA P226 Legion wouldn't work for my SAO Legion.

Thanks for the replies.

LE only model?

The standard grey PVD has been replaced with a grey/green cerakote. That change was done around the first of the year. I've seen a few pics of LE only models that are Nitron/anodized, but haven't seen a SAO in that configuration. I'd make sure that it hasn't been aftermarket cerakoted.

I have the grey PVD models and whereas the finish "patinas" well, I haven't had issues with rust/corrosion except on my grip screws.

I had the Pro-Elite-Delta Operator version which is below the Legion.. Great pistol that I would still have but I needed money and it brought in more money so I sold it with great reluctance. SIG is now making a P229 SAO too. For a SAO double stack 9mm it is one of the few I would want. Putting the thumb safety where they did blocks the slide stop from premature activation by my thumb forward grip.

User Tag List