Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive ARs

Not sure if I've responded in this yet, but I've been VERY impressed with my IWI Zion 16" - bought stoopidly cheap from Proven Outfitters on the LE IOP program. I haven't run the snot out of it, but it is very, very accurate. Shot several groups at 200 the other day that, had I actually taken any time and NOT shanked one round, would have been way sub-MOA. As in 2 out of 3 touching at the 200 yard line, then one thrown off to open the group to just over an inch. That's shooting off a backpack, NOT really working, and using a cheapo Holosun 503CU green dot on the "circle dot" setting. With 57 year old eyes. If I weren't completely against the idea of LPVOs, I'd throw a 1-6 or 1-8 on it, and I'm sure it would shoot sub 1" groups on paper at 200.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Somehow this thread on inexpensive ARs got me looking at expensive ones. I can currently get a very good price on several FN-15 variants (about $250-300 off the typical street price, about $1050-1110) and while I have absolutely no need for another 16" carbine it's starting to get hooks in me.

As much as I tend to be a bit of a S&W fanboy, it's...harder to recommend a budget approach in the current market. When the Sports were like $500-600 there was more of a discussion to be had. I don't think most people would argue they're a steal at $500-600 but when you have them in the $700-900 range....shoot, that's a few boxes of ammo difference from a Colt/FN/DD. Harder to justify not just getting the nicer one.
    I have always gone with "inexpensive" ARs because of budget restraints but I just couldn't pass on a complete unfired LaRue lower I found locally so now I'll be saving up for a matching upper for it. I sure didn't need it but...

As far as the S&W Sport II, I've been seeing them online recently for $600 plus or minus.

What’s the word on the SIG Tread rifles? Typical SIG hit or miss QA? I certainly don’t need another carbine but a LGS has (or at least had) one for under $800 and it got the wheels turning. Worth it as a backup for a class or something?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Just a quick update. Not much to actually update, got side tracked but other stuff....Which is one of the reasons I don't do builds. Would have ordered half the parts and gotten around to it 17 years from now. Like my FAL that sat for 6 or so years then finally got sent down the road.

Anyhow, looking at one of the Sionics cheaper rifles. Without sights it comes in just under $1300. Shipping, tax and transfer put it in the $1500.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Just a quick update. Not much to actually update, got side tracked but other stuff....Which is one of the reasons I don't do builds. Would have ordered half the parts and gotten around to it 17 years from now. Like my FAL that sat for 6 or so years then finally got sent down the road.

Anyhow, looking at one of the Sionics cheaper rifles. Without sights it comes in just under $1300. Shipping, tax and transfer put it in the $1500.

I have about 1500 rounds through mine, was a 16" I chopped to 14.5" to p/w a MD. No malfunctions outside of tuning the adjustable gas block. Nice guns. I have their medium contour barrel, accuracy is good for a chrome lined barrel but outshined by my criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Not sure if I've responded in this yet, but I've been VERY impressed with my IWI Zion 16" - bought stoopidly cheap from Proven Outfitters on the LE IOP program. I haven't run the snot out of it, but it is very, very accurate. Shot several groups at 200 the other day that, had I actually taken any time and NOT shanked one round, would have been way sub-MOA. As in 2 out of 3 touching at the 200 yard line, then one thrown off to open the group to just over an inch. That's shooting off a backpack, NOT really working, and using a cheapo Holosun 503CU green dot on the "circle dot" setting. With 57 year old eyes. If I weren't completely against the idea of LPVOs, I'd throw a 1-6 or 1-8 on it, and I'm sure it would shoot sub 1" groups on paper at 200.
    I posted this elsewhere, but I'm super impressed with mine as well.

IWI Z15
    ALG ACT
    PA SLx 3x Microprism
    Hornady 68gr BTHP

Shot this 1-3/4 group at 300 benched and bagged.

Name:  20220726_155320.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  20220726_155612.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  20220726_155905.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  36.1 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have about 1500 rounds through mine, was a 16" I chopped to 14.5" to p/w a MD. No malfunctions outside of tuning the adjustable gas block. Nice guns. I have their medium contour barrel, accuracy is good for a chrome lined barrel but outshined by my criterion.
    After reading this a few days ago I just realized you said you had to tune the gas block? I'm guessing that was after the chop to 14.5? Cause I'm not seeing anything on their website about adjustable gas blocks.
    I realize thats a stupid question but it's a $1500 question. I'm not adjusting anything.

I don't really get hung up on accuracy. Most firearms are more accurate than I am. I'm happy with battlefield accurate or better. That's not to say I don't care if it's pie plate at 50yrd but I don't go chasing moa or better. I'm happy with 1-4 moa within a given platform and brand of ammo

After reading this a few days ago I just realized you said you had to tune the gas block? I'm guessing that was after the chop to 14.5? Cause I'm not seeing anything on their website about adjustable gas blocks.
    I realize thats a stupid question but it's a $1500 question. I'm not adjusting anything.

I don't really get hung up on accuracy. Most firearms are more accurate than I am. I'm happy with battlefield accurate or better. That's not to say I don't care if it's pie plate at 50yrd but I don't go chasing moa or better. I'm happy with 1-4 moa within a given platform and brand of ammo

for that kind of money why not just get a bcm?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I had my smith chop to 14.5, p/w, and install the AGB at the same time. I figured as long as he was going to be doing the work I wanted him to install an AGB so I had the ability to tune gas drive after p/w as I wasn't sure how it would play with my suppressors. If I wasn't planning on running a suppressor I wouldn't have bothered. And yeah, wasn't a factory option.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    for that kind of money why not just get a bcm?
    Because this is after tax and shipping and transfer. The rifle itself is $1250-1419 depending on sights and handguard length

If BCM is $1500 then I'll have to add more $$ on top. At that point I may as well buy local DD V7 for around $1800

User Tag List