Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive ARs

Inexpensive ARs

... Not to be confused with cheap...

I don't follow the under $1k brands much but am now looking to do a few things and don't want to spend the DD or BCM money but also not interested in Instagram worthy airsoft quality. None of the DB or Bear Creek stuff that's typically found on clearance at CDNN.

Looking for a 556 optics ready carbine 16 - 20 in barrel with a full length top rail and trying to stay within the $1k or less range I've found.

IWI Zion $800+
    SA Saint Victor $1050
    SW $999

As well as a few PSA models but Im a little leery of their stuff. A basic 6920 falls into this price but not for the full length rail model.

This would be for basic SD/HD and rifle classes. More of a serious rifle than a fun plinker

Any experience with these? Open to other suggestions.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Buds has the Colt LE6960 for $1099; might be worth the extra hundred bucks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Agreed on the 6960 choice.

Check here for best price to get it shipped to your FFL.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/098289023506
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This would be my pick in your price range ,SOLGW is solid and hard to beat for $870 . Or find a good price on a Colt 6920.

https://www.deguns.net/sons-of-liber...o-250033263-/p
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 07-22-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    ... Not to be confused with cheap...

I don't follow the under $1k brands much but am now looking to do a few things and don't want to spend the DD or BCM money but also not interested in Instagram worthy airsoft quality. None of the DB or Bear Creek stuff that's typically found on clearance at CDNN.

Looking for a 556 optics ready carbine 16 - 20 in barrel with a full length top rail and trying to stay within the $1k or less range I've found.

IWI Zion $800+
    SA Saint Victor $1050
    SW $999

As well as a few PSA models but Im a little leery of their stuff. A basic 6920 falls into this price but not for the full length rail model.

This would be for basic SD/HD and rifle classes. More of a serious rifle than a fun plinker

Any experience with these? Open to other suggestions.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I'd humbly suggest a Colt 6920 OEM2
    That's the version that comes bare bones with just a bare carbine buffer tube, no trigger guard, and no handguard of any kind. The OEM2 version has a cut FSB to accommodate a full length rail. They can be had in the high $700-low $800 range if you shop around online.

Just add a rail system of your choice that uses a GI barrel nut, add a stock and trigger guard, and all the 'guts' of the gun are generally squared away. That also breaks up the initial cash outlay.
    Simliarly, getting a BCM blem complete lower from Primary Arms for $340+ the ride gets you a totally sorted out lower, and you can shop around/save up for a quality upper from Colt or BCM or similar and just complete the rifle when you have the chance.

If you really need a budget option, I'd probably pick the Ruger AR-556 over any of the other options that come 'ready' out of the box for the $650-750 price range. But I think you get a lot more overall enduring value in a rifle by spending a little bit more than that.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'd humbly suggest a Colt 6920 OEM2
    That's the version that comes bare bones with just a bare carbine buffer tube, no trigger guard, and no handguard of any kind. The OEM2 version has a cut FSB to accommodate a full length rail. They can be had in the high $700-low $800 range if you shop around online.
    I was going to mention that, but the 6960 is mid-length gas and the Centurion rail seems to be decent.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I am of the opinion that the M&P is the standard of the budget friendly/basic AR. Unless you are wanting a Colt for posterity sake or a higher end gun because you operate or just want the little extra a DD or BCM provides, then the search starts and stops with the M&P.

I have really good luck with Aero precision. They are running a sale on their uppers now, you can buy an upper on sale and a bolt/ch for pretty cheap. Then you can buy one of their stripped lowers, bcm lower parts kit and buffer kit and you're in business with money left over for a holosun red dot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have really good luck with Aero precision. They are running a sale on their uppers now, you can buy an upper on sale and a bolt/ch for pretty cheap. Then you can buy one of their stripped lowers, bcm lower parts kit and buffer kit and you're in business with money left over for a holosun red dot.
    Aero Precision is great re: the things the actually make- receivers, scope mounts, and their BA barrel subsidiary barrels.

There assembly and the quality level of the small parts they use in their complete guns, complete upper’s, and complete lowers leaves something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Aero Precision is great re: the things the actually make- receivers, scope mounts, and their BA barrel subsidiary barrels.

There assembly and the quality level of the small parts they use in their complete guns, complete upper’s, and complete lowers leaves something to be desired.
    I usually just do the stripped lower and stripped upper. Everything else is from bcm or somewhere similar. Their bolts seem to be made to high standards in the few I have come into contact with. But I agree, I wouldn't buy their lower parts kits. My "serious rifles" are bcm because they put a lot more into their quality control and materials. My "truck pistol" is a aero upper and aero lower filled with bcm stuff

User Tag List