Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOS vs milled (which one)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    A milled solution is vastly superior...assuming you can trust the milling. That isn't always the case.

I have seen very recent milling work from Maple Leaf Firearms and Primary Machine and it was excellent with very satisfied customers.

C&H had to buy someone else I know a new gun because of how badly they messed it up. In their defense, support was apologetic and replacement was prompt, but the customer wasn't thrilled.

The answer is manufacturers putting guns out that are made for optic footprints. I expect that to expand based on the most common standards.

The M&P cut from the factory for the ACRO is a magnificent piece of hardware. Open box, do one fastener, then zero the gun. It's fucking beautiful and it's what the slide-mounted RDS will eventually become.
    3/15/2016

A proper milled optic cut is always nice but limits you.

Specifically Glock MOS 9mm pistols (not time with other calibers) utilizing Forward Control Design or Tango Down Plates (RMR and ACRO) and Staccatos with the Dawson plates or system (RMR, ACRO, and DPP) are the ones I trust.

I myself have north of 80k rounds through MOS guns with either an RMR with the FCD plates or an ACRO on the tango down plate, with people I know running them personally (I installed a lot of them) the round count is probably 300k combined plus on Glock MOS (Gen 4 and Gen 5) pistols with no issues due to the optic cut and plate being used, this is with multiple battery swaps etc. This is also one of the reasons I'm a huge proponent for FCD plates as I have seen C&H and factory plates fail repeatedly after or even before hand from QC issues. The RMR's have all done extremely well, I have seen one Type 2 that had a very had firing schedule (30K) have a battery contact break otherwise all the other examples of the RMR type 2 have kept chugging. My first RDS gun was a milled Gen 4 Glock with an RMR as well.

The MOS examples I have owned used are two Gen 5 34s, two Gen 5 45s, and a 48 MOS (RMRCC, shot in Gabe Whites class), other examples I have seen being shot first hand are a crap ton of Gen 4 and 5 17 and 19s and Gen 5 versions to include the 45. Most if any issues I have seen on a initial use of a MOS gun has been using a bad plate and or improper installation of the plate. I have seen other optics fail at a high rate.

My rounds through Staccatos are less but I have had an RMR and now an ACRO P2 mounted on my personal one with several thousand rounds through it with no issues, I have mounted a DPP and other optics to friends with no issues and have again second hand knowledge front personal friends who have put a metric ton of rounds through them with no issues.

Good optics, good plates, proper torque wrench, good thread locker and cure time (ala proper instillation) make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The M&P cut from the factory for the ACRO is a magnificent piece of hardware. Open box, do one fastener, then zero the gun. It's fucking beautiful and it's what the slide-mounted RDS will eventually become.
    And, oddly, there are those at S&W who don't believe it will be commercially successful.

I have both, and they each have their place.

I have two MOS Glocks, one is a Fauxland 19.5 toy with a Steyr MPS on a TD/FCD plate and the other a carry candidate 19.5 with one of the new Holosun SCS sights. I like that the MOS guns are futureproofed to a degree.

However, my carry RDS guns are all direct milled - a G43 and G26.5 with RMRccs, and a 27.5 with RMR. These three are my all-in commitment to carry RDS, they were done by Battle Werx with the dots moved all the way to the rear and no iron sights. I did leave myself a safety net since a rear slot can be added in front of the dot if the experiment fails, all I’m out is the additional shipping and refinishing compared to doing it in the beginning.

I really do prefer the security and solidity of direct milling, but there’s something to be said about MOS flexibility. If I could have only one RDS Glock right now, it would probably be MOS with the SCS. If Glock releases the occasionally rumored ACRO direct mount version, I’d probably change horses if it was a one and only thing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

IMHO, I think it is safe to say closed emitter dot pistol sights are the future, especially for hard use. Currently you have the Aimpoint ACRO, Holosun 509T, Holosun EPS series, Steiner and the SiG Romeo 2. I am pretty sure they all use different footprints and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Either mounting system will work, but overall IMHO the direct mount will be more secure and of course the optic will set a little bit lower on the pistol.
    Last edited by Biggy; 07-25-2022 at 03:05 PM.

I had the same choice and went with the MOS. Because you are looking at either the 509t or Acro P2, both of those have outstanding aftermarket plates available. In my opinion the side clamp mounting of the closed emitter optics eliminate the failure concerns of the plate. Holosun's 509t MOS plate is made out of steel and is very well executed, and the optic sits low enough on the slide to use Ameriglo XL sights. Direct milling will always be superior for optics that mount like the RMR does.
    I hope in the future the industry will settle on a mini pic rail type interface on slides that is compatible with all the side clamp red dots, and even the open emitter dots will switch to side clamping.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    IMHO, I think it is safe to say closed emitter dot pistol sights are the future, especially for hard use. Currently you have the Aimpoint ACRO, Holosun 509T, Holosun EPS series, Steiner and the SiG Romeo 2. I am pretty sure they all use different footprints and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Either mounting system will work, but overall IMHO the direct mount will be more secure and of course the optic will set a little bit lower on the pistol.
    We now have the Swampfox Kraken in the mix too. They are making big claims about drop durability, but we won't know for sure until Aaron Cowan gets hold of one and does his thing.

Kraken in stock at Kenziesoptics.com

https://www.kenziesoptics.com/produc...d937711ab33ec5

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm having this same debate. I'm leaning toward an Agency Arms AOS or Unity ATOM.

User Tag List