Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luggage, Duffels, Packs, Man Purses, etc.

Luggage, Duffels, Packs, Man Purses, etc.

What are your favorites? What to steer clear of?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Fishpond (https://fishpondusa.com) makes various sizes of bags, from large to small. Not cheap, but about as functional and bulletproof as soft luggage can be.

I particularly like the carry-on-sized Boulder for 1-2 night trips, and it will double as a large briefcase. It has carry handles, a shoulder strap, and hidden "backpack" straps. The larger rolling bags will handle a ton of stuff. And the little Lodgepole works great as a "man purse". I can even squeeze my 13" laptop in.

Good stuff. Good folks.

I'm a pretty big fan of flying circle backpacks. I have an older 203b tan model I picked up in Kuwait I think. It's plain as hell, and has been used for everything from hiking trips, to carry on to the beach, to the woods, during college... since 2010 it's the only pack I've used until very recently when i got a pack from Cabelas for hunting. I still use the flying circle for everything else. In fact my wife doesnt even use another bag. Whenever we need a backpack it comes out of the closet and does the job until it goes back.

Mystery Ranch Scree 32, ready for Alaska.

I am a big fan of London Bridge Trading, US made and solid construction, but that is going to be tactical looking and not true luggage.
    Have a buddy who lives by Osprey.

For general short trip travel, I'm a big fan of the Osprey Porter 46. It ain't sexy but it's practical, cabin friendly and simple.

I hope that someone takes the MR tri-zip and makes a really light pack with it. I get that the MR packs are bomb proof but they weigh too much.

I use an osprey farpoint 40L for personal travel (domestic and international) on trips lasting up to 2 weeks or so. Has been very good overall. I'm a big fan of one bag travel. I think the farpoint is about 85% perfect. I have a couple of minor gripes about the water bottle holder placement and lack of small storage pockets.

Luggage, Duffels, Packs, Man Purses, etc.

I almost ordered an Osprey rolling carry-on to replace my 5.11 roller bag. The 5.11 has been excellent, except they put zippers in high abrasion areas. Fail.

I’m tired of bags that wear out, so I’m trying a NAR Gear rolling carryon. NAR’s product line is mainly for smoke jumpers and other firefighters, so this bag is hopefully very rugged. Their CS has been great so far. Bonus that it comes in P-F orange.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-21-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Blackhawk 3 day Assault pack.
    Northface base camp duffle.
    Timbuk 2 small classic messenger bag.

From what I've heard, for luggage, Briggs & Riley is probably one of the best choices possible, due to their excellent construction and lifetime warranty. I have been using one of their Baseline carry-ons for a couple of years now, and it's served me well, though I admittedly don't fly that much (it does get used for travel in general).

I have also relatively recently purchased a Pelican 1615 Air as a checked luggage container, as I am trying to be able to use it as an entire case that I can place a handgun in, without dealing with other issues. I've also used it for travel a little, and it's nice to have something that you know you can beat on, is more or less impervious to the elements, and doesn't weight a ton. I do plan on eventually getting a B&R Baseline checked bag when the opportunity arises.

Getting into packs is probably a separate story from luggage; I've been using some older Eagle A-IIIs for over a decade now as urban daypacks or range packs, and they're still going strong. I've also had a lot of success with my Kifaru rucks for actual backcountry use, along with an Arc'teryx 30L assault pack that I use for dayhikes and as a summit pack, although I recently invested in an Arc'teryx Alpha FL 40 for a true summit pack (I've had a Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket 30 that I've tried using, but it just doesn't have good enough support, IMO, so it's been relegated to being a 1 day pack when I'm carrying minimal stuff).

User Tag List