Thread: Critical Duty 135gr question

Critical Duty 135gr question

I notice the CD 135gr 9mm standard pressure is not on "the list." Just wondering if that is because it does not qualify, or just has not been tested. If anyone knows.

I am curious about it in an off-duty, small gun context. Sometimes, my usual choices just cannot be found.

From Hornady LE website (left side column is standard pressure, right column is +p :

Name:  Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 08-18-58 Handgun Ammunition - Hornady Law Enforcement.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  48.0 KB

Vending Machine Operator
    I don’t want to speak for Doc, but I recall a prior conversation about several standard pressure rounds being good but not on The List because the +P variant performed somewhat better. The only example that comes to mind is 124-grain +P Gold Dot being on the list and standard pressure not being on it. I’d still feel fine with 124-grain standard GDHP, just likely to choose +p if it’s available. Same with Critical Duty, which is actually downright pleasant to shoot in a full size, even in +P form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Thanks for the response. My guess was what you said...no agency interest and performance behind the +p so why bother. Still, these days we sometimes have to get what we can find, so I like to have some knowledge of stuff I would not normally choose.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Thanks for the response. My guess was what you said...no agency interest and performance behind the +p so why bother. Still, these days we sometimes have to get what we can find, so I like to have some knowledge of stuff I would not normally choose.
    I have nothing technical to add to this other than this observation.

The 135 +P surprised the hell out of me when I shot it. We went from Speer Gold Dot 124 grain plus P to the Hornady round because we supposedly couldn't source enough gold dot. I've been shooting the 124 grain +p gold dot for years and while its not a snappy round, its not exactly a powder puff. The Hornady round was so soft that I thought my first round was a squib. I continued shooting it and it feels like a nice competition load. Shrug. I dig it so long as the ballistic performance is there.

This is out of a Glock 17.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I have nothing technical to add to this other than this observation.

The 135 +P surprised the hell out of me when I shot it. We went from Speer Gold Dot 124 grain plus P to the Hornady round because we supposedly couldn't source enough gold dot. I've been shooting the 124 grain +p gold dot for years and while its not a snappy round, its not exactly a powder puff. The Hornady round was so soft that I thought my first round was a squib. I continued shooting it and it feels like a nice competition load. Shrug. I dig it so long as the ballistic performance is there.

This is out of a Glock 17.5.
    I issue the 135gr +P Critical Duty load and we've been relatively satisfied. Like you, we issued Gold Dots and our vendor no longer has access to ATK products only Hornady for duty ammo.

I use the Critical Duty (and Gold Dots) in .45 ACP, but prefer the Gold Dots in 9mm. However, the Critical Duty is a great alternative choice, in my opinion. Hornaday makes excellent ammunition.

Best, Jon

User Tag List