Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Uvalde intensifies doubts over whether tiny police agencies make sense - Wash Post

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I can't speak for Indiana. The "metropolitan counties" in Maryland (basically between D.C. and Baltimore) have county police departments and possible corrections departments. Sheriff's offices are restricted to court-related functions and possibly corrections. A similar set-up exists in Northern Virginia though I think those SO's have corrections. I'm also aware of county police departments in Georgia and New York State.

This is not to denigrate the work of these sheriff's offices. I have the highest regard for our sheriff's office who handle many emergency petitions, protective orders, and circuit court-originated felony warrants. Our most recent OIS several days ago was a deputy sheriff assigned to the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force.
    GA has 159 counties with each having an Office of the Sheriff as required by the state constitution. Twelve of the counties have county PDs.

All 12 of those county PDs were created prior to a change in state law requiring it to be a ballot measure rather than the commissioners just doing it.

The state recently provided legislation concerning a method for dissolving those county PDs if the voters choose to do so.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Is that a statewide thing in Indiana? In Florida and Texas (and others), a sheriff’s office does it all including road patrol.
    No, every other county has a full service sheriff's dept.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No, every other county has a full service sheriff's dept.
    I meant the distinction you drew between sheriff’s office and sheriff’s department. I don’t think that distinction applies anywhere outside of Indiana, and I was wondering if it’s across the state or just in the Indianapolis area.

I meant the distinction you drew between sheriff’s office and sheriff’s department. I don’t think that distinction applies anywhere outside of Indiana, and I was wondering if it’s across the state or just in the Indianapolis area.
    There is only one "sheriff's office" in the state, Marion County Sheriff's Office. I don't know that it's a legal distinction or just a name change to differentiate it from the pre-merger entity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    That fact that nearly everyone here seems to have seen police corruption of some kind seems like a really bad sign for the health of a first-world country. Maybe the issue isn't training standards. Maybe the issue is that we're not a first-world country in some places.
    Name an occupation that has access to any level of money or power that does not have some level of corruption. Public or private. A certain level of corruption is inevitable, from sales clerks to senators, doctors to dog walkers.

Site Supporter
    I have read the argument that elected sheriffs are constitutional offices rather than departments of county government. This seems to be important to some and perhaps is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Behind paywall but this “gift” link should work for everyone. https://wapo.st/3OmVnfK A few excerpts:

Thoughts?
    The author described the police department in my former school district.

For discussion's sake let's take a state w/ 10 large cities, each having a large PD. There are also 30 counties, towns, or jurisdictions w/ each having it's own PD/Sheriff w/ 30 officers. The decision is made to disband the 30 PDs because ?????? Do the 900 officers from those 30 PDs now work for one of the large city PDs? Do they keep living in the same place or do they have to move to one of the 10 cities? I live in X-town 50 miles from the nearest large city and call 911. Who will respond? Do they have to drive 50 miles to get to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I have read the argument that elected sheriffs are constitutional offices rather than departments of county government. This seems to be important to some and perhaps is.

It is a very important distinction in the places in which it applies.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    For discussion's sake let's take a state w/ 10 large cities, each having a large PD. There are also 30 counties, towns, or jurisdictions w/ each having it's own PD/Sheriff w/ 30 officers. The decision is made to disband the 30 PDs because ?????? Do the 900 officers from those 30 PDs now work for one of the large city PDs? Do they keep living in the same place or do they have to move to one of the 10 cities? I live in X-town 50 miles from the nearest large city and call 911. Who will respond? Do they have to drive 50 miles to get to me?
    I think the argument is that you wouldn't have the individual agencies. They would all work under a single umbrella.

User Tag List