Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Here’s a drill/eval: “Indiana Intervention”

Note: shot “cold”.
    Target: (1) Pepper Popper, B/C silhouette or equivalent
    Range: 25 or 40 yards(whatever can be accommodated)
    Start: Concealed if you’re feeling sporty, or “ready”.
    Rounds to be fired: 10; if par used, 8/10 hits to”pass”.
    Timed or Comstock; if Comstock, all hits +5, misses -10. If timed, 10 second par @25, 15 seconds for 40 yards.

@JCN, @GJM, @Mr White, @HCM, @BBI - what do you think?

I’ll make a run at it and post later.

Just a note: shot GSSF Camp Perry last weekend on new GSSF target, 15 second par on turning target. Result: 2 points down @25, just outside the 8” center ring. Practice will continue…
    I don't know the timing on first shot to last shot, but my understanding is for the drill to be an accurate recreation it would need to incorporate movement. I get that's a bridge too far for the vast majority or public range users and the intent here is solid.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know the timing on first shot to last shot, but my understanding is for the drill to be an accurate recreation it would need to incorporate movement. I get that's a bridge too far for the vast majority or public range users and the intent here is solid.
    Sincerely appreciated sir. If I understand you, there is information that the defender moved toward the threat(?)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sincerely appreciated sir. If I understand you, there is information that the defender moved toward the threat(?)
    That is my understanding.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Agreed; and push outside the parameters. For example, how many hits can one put on a locked upright popper @50 yards, 15 second time limit? Or, move from a 40 yard line to the 25, firing. The permutations are many.
    My point is: DO NOTHING before the run that you wouldn’t “normally” do. If you dryfire a few times before you go out the door, good for you.
    That young man did not know he was going to have that challenge that day. If he had, one option was not to be there or exit the area. Farnam and others might recommend the latter. I’m glad he was and stepped up, and I’m sure other folks are too.
    I’m going to add some perspective:

If you don’t know what you can do at that range and with movement already, I’d spend the time training rather than testing.

This IMO is the strongest argument for USPSA over “normal” range practice.

Because you don’t know what the “test” is before getting there and it’s not of your choosing.

I shot a stage from lying on a table face down hands behind head and unloaded gun. Nobody had practiced that, but it was easy to see who knew their capabilities versus not.

I have a pretty good idea of what kind of hits I could get with how much movement for the Dickens challenge and it’s from USPSA.

With this and the White Settlement church shooting, it would seem that practicing out to longer distances is in order.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Reid Henrich just posted this:

I didn’t post anything in the OT since a pouge like me has nothing to add. I do find it interesting that this shooting was very similar in range and cadence standards to the Army “combat competitions” I did in my day as well as the Alternate Pistol Qualification we would run when the pop up range was not available.

I wonder how much a shift to intermediate range training we will see after this within the industry and competition?

This is for example a routine training session for me. I understand many don’t have access to this kind of equipment.

@1Rangemaster

The swinger is 8” at 20 yards and the star are 6” plates at 20 yards.

These were shot cold.

P2000sk AIWB
    Night Fision FS
    10-8 RS

50 yards D1<3.5 concealed
    Name:  20220719_175717.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  36.0 KB

HiTS Advanced Super Test string 1, 15 yards, 15 second par. Yes, I could have used my time better.

Name:  20220712_174040.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  32.1 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

I didn’t post anything in the OT since a pouge like me has nothing to add. I do find it interesting that this shooting was very similar in range and cadence standards to the Army “combat competitions” I did in my day as well as the Alternate Pistol Qualification we would run when the pop up range was not available.

I wonder how much a shift to intermediate range training we will see after this within the industry and competition?
    There’s been a resurgence of shooting bulls at 25 already. Beyond that I doubt we’ll see much change for a couple of reasons. Just like after every other event like this people start posting about how they’re going to start carrying fighting guns again and the. two weeks later they’re looking for ballistic gel tests on .22lr because carrying a full sized gun sucks and a lot of people legit can’t do it day to day due to wardrobe or whatever. Second people have short memories and we’ll forget about this shooting after the next one happens.

On the competition side (uspsa) when I was shooting people bitched and whined more about targets at 25+ yards than almost any other stage design is however was designing the stages could make.

Left handed? Left fucking handed?

User Tag List