Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh I couldn't miss this opportunity. Yesterday I rolled up cold and decided to use my new 43C from real 40 yards this time.

However I applied the JCN idea, "it's a 2 shot drill". So two from ready at 40 yards with the 43C. 4.96 seconds. Drum roll . . .

Attachment 93621
    I've never met a target I couldn't miss. Back in my trapshooting days, I referred to it as saving the club money via reusable clay pigeons.😁

More gun, more better.
    Yesterday rolled up two weeks cold and put my mainstay carry RTF2 G19 to the task.
    Fired #1 from 100' checked target. Fired #2 from 100.

3 to 3.5 is pretty sporty for me.

The very concept of food court drills has really triggered a LOT of pro trainers and I can't understand why it is such a big deal. Because the incident didn't go down exactly as the premise of the drill I guess. Who cares? That reaction might make this more appealing to me.
    A couple years ago I regularly shot my first 2-5 cold shots from distance to see what I was walking around with but that was pretty much slow fire.

Name:  2 weeks cold 100 feet.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  53.0 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

10 round Dicken 35 yds. 6.96s 7A3C. CO gamer rig. It’s easier with the Shadow2 than with my P07.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I've settled on my 10" plate for this drill, scored hits/misses. From the most recent time out, it's not that hard to hit 7/8 of 10 at 45 yards with the 92G. Once you've been humbled at that range, 25 yards is easy.

My buddy had already been shooting when I got there, but at 5-7 yards. He grabbed his .22 Glock and was hitting the shit out of the plate at 45. With his 365 he dropped to <50%.

Our square police range was left over from the serious revolver days, with walkways at 25 and 50 yards. No doubt those old guys shot one handed and thumb cocked their 6" barreled .38s, but they could shoot distance (which they did for real on fleeing suspects). There's no reason we shouldn't be able to shoot that well today.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I've tried three different variations of the Dicken Drill (10 rounds in 15 seconds):

During my first try I was on a pistol range. Since the range maxes out at 25 meters, I used a 1/3 size target at 1/3 distance (an IDPA target printed on a piece of A4 paper and 13 meters). Easy peasy, kept everything in the -1 with several -0 hits.

Several weeks later during one of my small groups training days on a rifle range I had the chance to try the real deal, a full size target at 40 meters. Managed to hit the target a whopping five times. Tried it a second time, got pretty much exactly the same results. Pretty disappointed with my performance on that one.

Directly afterwards my aforementioned crushing failure, since we still had a magazine and change of pistol ammo left per shooter and the plate was already set up, I suggested we try timing how long it takes to get two hits on a half size target at the same 40 meter distance. Simple drill, draw and keep shooting until you get two hits. My turn, I draw and fire two shots and score two hits in about five seconds. "Well that was probably just a fluke, let me try again." Pretty much exactly the same results. Two shots, two hits, about five seconds.

I thought it was pretty interesting I got such different results from the different variations.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

5.6 seconds shot cold with CO gear

Name:  0E93E0E1-CB91-45D5-9F45-C27BFC19F503.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  31.2 KB

I thought the "drill" involved shooting on the move? Or is it 10 rounds standing at the 40 yard line? Either way, I need to retry both...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I thought the "drill" involved shooting on the move? Or is it 10 rounds standing at the 40 yard line? Either way, I need to retry both...
    I think there are probably many different iterations depending on what you’re looking to accomplish and test.

I did the 10 shot from gamer gear going at “match speed” to see what kinds of hits I could get in less than 6 seconds from a draw fully cold (first shots that day).

I did it the more faithful way before: P365XL from concealed AIWB sitting at a table to start, two shots required to hit before moving closer and behind cover.

But movement drills are hard to compare performance across different people so it basically comes down to “how accurate are you at speed under “can’t miss” pressure.”

Because whether you can or can’t do it isn’t the issue. It’s knowing what you can and can’t do without having to find out at the least convenient time.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    ... whether you can or can’t do it isn’t the issue. It’s knowing what you can and can’t do without having to find out at the least convenient time.
    I just want to quote this because I think it's so important.

It's tempting to say "I did this drill in X.XXs so I'm awesome" (nothing wrong with that). But much more important is knowledge of one's limits under a wide range of challenges, and that's always a moving target.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Because whether you can or can’t do it isn’t the issue. It’s knowing what you can and can’t do without having to find out at the least convenient time.
    I'm going to quote this too, because it's good stuff.

User Tag List