Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @HCM

I think it was in poor taste to malign Eli’s name since the guy did nothing wrong and nothing to evoke ire.

If he has an issue with people doing the drill fine, but the drill is not of Eli’s doing.

Plus, Pannone has his facts wrong and he’s yelling at clouds.

Nobody said the bad guy stood there for 15 seconds.

Early police reports said bad guy went down after the first two shots and didn’t meaningfully move.

The bad guy was down and not moving much for the remainder of the shots.

There was also some movement so not all shots were at 40.

Like people said, it’s really a 2 shot drill at 40 yards.
    Fair enough, but his associated arguments still have merit. One of the central ones being there is no reliable open source info on what happened And the whole thing has turned into people projecting and making things up.

I’m not Mike Pannone but I’ve seen enough people shot in real life to know that his comments regarding what happens when people are shot/Shot at are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    You killed Pepe LePiew!
    Nobody loves Pepe more than me but when he is trying to bust in and eat my chickens he has to go. Let’s all have a moment of silence for Pepe. …………. Okay, we all can move on now. Did I tell anyone yet how the wife was impressed as shit?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Fair enough, but his associated arguments still have merit. One of the central ones being there is no reliable open source info on what happened And the whole thing has turned into people projecting and making things up.

I’m not Mike Pannone but I’ve seen enough people shot in real life to know that his comments regarding what happens when people are shot/Shot at are accurate.
    Agreed, no info coming out on any of the details from him or anyone else. Not a complaint, or pushing him to do anything that makes him uncomfortable. We all deal with shit we experienced in a different way.

I think that if this were just another internet drill then the regular crowd would persue it and the bulk of the gun owning world would scoff about stats/odds/etc...and write it off. Since it is attached to a real life incident, regardless of factual relativity, the regular crowd still pursues it as they do any other internet shooting challenge but the bulk of the gun owning world now has taken it and ran with it and it's the flavor of the month of what must be done.

They simply fail to see their own irony. They'll talk about this set of data or that to support their shooting never exceeding 7 yards because MOST gunfights etc...and anything else is an outlier. But the same folks are now talking about distance shooting as necessary with this drill, a statistical outlier. Where as the performance oriented folks of PF etc... have practiced well rounded shooting skills since forever, the gun owning world is suddenly going all in the opposite direction that they generally do based on a single incident. Those folks will likely not continue to pursue excellence in this arena and will be back to 3 rounds 3 seconds 3 yards (or just working on their accuracy etc...) in a few weeks and all will be forgotten. And the regular internet challenge crowd will move on to the next one asap but those folks are often more well rounded in shooting skillsets as far as distance and performance go. Either way I don't think it's something to get wrapped around the axle over. It'll be gone in a month. Folks will fall back into their old routines regardless, for better or worse. Someone like Pannone understandably has more skin in the game of people convincing themselves that they are competent based on flawed info etc...but those folks probably aren't going to classes either.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I know, if Eli had missed his first shot or if the bad guy had $100 of body armor this likely would have turned out much differently.

That’s why it’s really a 2 shot 40 yard drill.

I don’t know Pannone very well but I think he respects some competition? I thought I saw him doing some USPSA stuff.

It also goes to show that sometimes “training” can take different forms. In our region we often have 25 yard partials and open targets to 40. I zero all my competition (and carry) guns at 25 and know the hold under at 50.

I know you’re a fan but USPSA is basically a new set of drills each week.

Of course there is a third group i didn't mention above, those who actually understand and prepare for violence and base their training/pracitce on that knowledge, and they're likely different from the above groups. They probably have an issue with the above groups because the above often convince themselves that they are of the third and stuff like this furthers that misconception. So that's understandable to a guy who is definitely not in the third group like me
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

At least he listens…

Name:  2C0CF8A8-B108-428F-847A-B1FEAFD96B97.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  51.1 KB

I don’t know Pannone very well but I think he respects some competition? I thought I saw him doing some USPSA stuff.
    I believe Pantone might be ranked M in at least one USPSA division. He definitely places a high value on the skills you built in completion and what they might do for you in a defensive encounter.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Re Pannone's criticism, while he's not wrong re facts but why bother? Its like on the Grams everyone has to weigh in on everything.
    Yes the incident is not the distance/cold drill. Great. Noted. BTW an industry guy tells me that the last casing was found about 10 yards from the perp, which supports the forward movement which this thread already acknowledged early on. More credit to Eli for that.

But I enjoy this so I shot it cold yesterday again but this time for 10 rds fired from 100 feet which was as far as I could squeeze in this bay. RTF2 G19

Name:  Food court G19.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  61.5 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@HCM

Like people said, it’s really a 2 shot drill at 40 yards.
    That's what I'll "cold test" next week. Save the ammo, check "cold" precision.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List