Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Not to pee in people's Cheerios, and no disrespect to Mr. Dickens, but was it really 40 yards? I've seen conflicting reports; I could have sworn in the original thread seeing a reference to 76 feet.
    I think 40 is a good thing, even if untrue, using the Larry Vickers theory of training harder so you have more margin left for a reduction of your performance in a real event.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Not to pee in people's Cheerios, and no disrespect to Mr. Dickens, but was it really 40 yards? I've seen conflicting reports; I could have sworn in the original thread seeing a reference to 76 feet.
    43 yards from the mall AI software apparently at the time of the initial shots fired as best as I can tell.

I was assuming that 76 feet is where he ended up after advancing on the downed attacker.

Dirtbag was murdering people at the rate of one every few seconds until he caught the first round, seems like the most important thing of the whole event was the first shot. The 8/10 hit ratio is spectacular, but his ability to murder diminished greatly after the first shot. My primary take-away here is an extended range I woulda thought was silly and extreme was not so silly or extreme. Maybe the drill would be just how fast you could put a shot on a reasonable size plate, and the score is based on how many people would be lost in the time it takes you to do it.

And I primarily shoot a 5" full size M&P but primarily carry a 4" compact that doesn't have some of the shooter aids of my full size gun(s). Maybe I should rethink that.

Seeing the two vids posted by @Velo Dog and @JCN makes me think that maybe I don't suck as bad as I thought I suck. Nice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Dirtbag was murdering people at the rate of one every few seconds until he caught the first round, seems like the most important thing of the whole event was the first shot. The 8/10 hit ratio is spectacular, but his ability to murder diminished greatly after the first shot. My primary take-away here is an extended range I woulda thought was silly and extreme was not so silly or extreme. Maybe the drill would be just how fast you could put a shot on a reasonable size plate, and the score is based on how many people would be lost in the time it takes you to do it.

And I primarily shoot a 5" full size M&P but primarily carry a 4" compact that doesn't have some of the shooter aids of my full size gun(s). Maybe I should rethink that.
    This is why I’m such a big fan of the Pressburg No Fail test. It’s basically my required standard for a carry setup.

It’s basically 10 individual kill shots of this magnitude of skill (black B8 at 25 yards) which scales to A/C at 40.

It’s not silly at all.

The 10x requirement tests your skill under pressure and not just lucky shots.

Philosophical question that has no right answer:

Say you witnessed a gunman killing a person per second 40 yards away.
    He doesn’t see you and you have time to get the first shot off standing where you are…

Or go to cover and engage then, but it would take two more seconds and cost two more lives…

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Philosophical question that has no right answer:

Say you witnessed a gunman killing a person per second 40 yards away.
    He doesn’t see you and you have time to get the first shot off standing where you are…

Or go to cover and engage then, but it would take two more seconds and cost two more lives…

What do you do?
    And might you be more skilled than the murderer and distance becomes some of your cover.
    No good answers for bad situations. Also, once you landed a hit should you leave cover to close the distance, speeding up your rate of fire while maintaining hit probability.

Sorry if this is already covered.

Did Dickens connect on his first shot? Do we have that info? I am assuming he did, but wanted to confirm.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Sorry if this is already covered.

Did Dickens connect on his first shot? Do we have that info? I am assuming he did, but wanted to confirm.
    That has been my understanding, and that the first shot was decisive, probably fatal. But the dirtbag kept trying to get back to the bathroom where he left a stash to rearm and regroup.

Looks like the assailant had the physical build of a stick figure.

Best modify your Dickens Drill targets accordingly.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

From what I’m reading the challenge should be for the shooter to transition from seated over some distance to a barricade position and neutralize a target at 40ish yards with a single round in under 15 seconds. If the first round doesn’t connect it’s a complete failure. My vote would be a Pepper Popper with extra style points for multiple hits on steel before it hits the ground.

Not your normal public range drill, but do-able anywhere we shoot IDPA or similar events.

User Tag List