Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    7/10 today first try. The bad part was, I did not improve on the repeats.
    Since Eli Dicken's first shot took the fight out of his enemy, maybe we should do this as a one shot drill.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Since Eli Dicken's first shot took the fight out of his enemy, maybe we should do this as a one shot drill.
    Lot of truth here - the moment that first 9mm entered the turds body it shot his OODA loop to shit.

It’s good to see the shooting community starting to dabble at longer distances. I started informal 50y bullseye several years ago and found that B6 targets were challenging to say the least. Putting up a few of them at one time PLUS a 3/4 IDPA steel target afforded me a better training experience. For one, it kept me shooting when others were still shooting preventing me from calling for “cold range” excessively. I also found that the instant feedback of steel helped me tremendously.

Name:  F92CA022-0EFF-41DA-90BD-CD4161A68957.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.8 KB

I’d punch paper with my 1911 and check my work through my spotting scope. While waiting for others to finish, I’d ping steel at 50y with all sorts of carry guns. Lots of times in doing so with a P365 or Glock 43/43x, others would approach and watch. I’d get comments such as how they thought it was impossible for such small guns to connect at that range and surprise that all the guns were box stock, other than grip tapes and sights.

Like anything, it takes practice but it’s basic sight alignment and trigger manipulation without disturbing that alignment. Granted, that steel target isn’t mobile, there aren’t friendlies beyond it, and it’s not shooting back but it’s been good training for me.

I’m glad this young man put the cretin down hard and efficiently.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    It’s good to see the shooting community starting to dabble at longer distances. I started informal 50y bullseye several years ago and found that B6 targets were challenging to say the least. Putting up a few of them at one time PLUS a 3/4 IDPA steel target afforded me a better training experience. For one, it kept me shooting when others were still shooting preventing me from calling for “cold range” excessively. I also found that the instant feedback of steel helped me tremendously.

Name:  F92CA022-0EFF-41DA-90BD-CD4161A68957.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.8 KB

I’d punch paper with my 1911 and check my work through my spotting scope. While waiting for others to finish, I’d ping steel at 50y with all sorts of carry guns. Lots of times in doing so with a P365 or Glock 43/43x, others would approach and watch. I’d get comments such as how they thought it was impossible for such small guns to connect at that range and surprise that all the guns were box stock, other than grip tapes and sights.

Like anything, it takes practice but it’s basic sight alignment and trigger manipulation without disturbing that alignment. Granted, that steel target isn’t mobile, [COLOR="#FF0000"]there aren’t friendlies beyond it, and it’s not shooting back but it’s been good training for me.

I’m glad this young man put the cretin down hard and efficiently.

Regards.
    Backstop accountability is one of the things missing most in training. Every experienced shooter expects to miss some in a gunfight. Practice at IDing clear lanes and a bullet stop and belaying fire isn't widely taught or preached.
    When I was the cover officer on traffic stops I would pick an angle with the best(or least worst) backstop.
    Maybe a few helium filled balloons bobbing freely in the lane of fire? At least a few times a year as a reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    It’s good to see the shooting community starting to dabble at longer distances
    Exactly. It's been great watching folks in my feed attempt to duplicate the shots. Some of the well known YT channels, and a number of FB groups are doing it.

I would say if a shooter can typically score 90+ on a B8 at 25 yards, they can perform well at 50. The mental side really starts to play a roll at 25, and especially 50.

Unfortunately that type of range is not very common for practice. I am truly blessed to have the distance, and a nice huge dirt berm to call impacts. Lots if misses lead to learning.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Exactly. It's been great watching folks in my feed attempt to duplicate the shots. Some of the well known YT channels, and a number of FB groups are doing it.

I would say if a shooter can typically score 90+ on a B8 at 25 yards, they can perform well at 50. The mental side really starts to play a roll at 25, and especially 50.

Unfortunately that type of range is not very common for practice. I am truly blessed to have the distance, and a nice huge dirt berm to call impacts. Lots if misses lead to learning.
    I’m going to give a slight counterpoint.

It’s not so much the distance, it’s the accuracy requirement.

Some people focus on distance (not you) without a high level of accuracy.

They’ll think that C zone at 7 is “good enough.”

But really in order to be viable at 25-50 you need trigger presses that will hold <2 inches at 7 consistently.

I practice that kind of requirement often and it’s easier to get granular feedback at those closer distances. The mechanics absolutely hold up at distance if you judge holds.

One of my favorite videos:

So I hope that people practice distance… but also practice better accountability close up and demand more from themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It’s not so much the distance, it’s the accuracy requirement.

They’ll think that C zone at 7 is “good enough.”

But really in order to be viable at 25-50 you need trigger presses that will hold <2 inches at 7 consistently.
    Agreed, a grease ring 8, at 25, could easily miss completely at 50. It's that cone of deviation that eludes some.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    How about this:
    Attach a balloon to the "A" box(define your incapacitation standard size) and require a first or second* round hit to continue the drill.
    To add stakes:
    Failure means you pack up and go home, forfeiting the range trip.

*As I'm understanding the sequence of events now he fired twice at 40 yards, at least one of which had a telling effect(FIBS!). The incel then began retreating. Eli then advanced(to obtain a firing angle?) and fired some more rounds and possibly advanced again as close as 25 yards. I wonder if the righteously slain was standing for 15 seconds? Was he still trying to aim the rifle?
    The video will be interesting when/if released(I've got faith in the internet)
    Last edited by feudist; 07-23-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    Speaking of accuracy requirements, here’s a recent video of a dude who took a round at what looks to be in the lower A zone of a USPSA target. It would have been a 9 on the old B27 silhoutte. He could have continued killing people for at least 10 minutes after being shot had he been armed with a rifle.

Screenshots of the wound

Name:  0FD65E49-6D23-4801-8CC2-FC5E48DDC01D.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  B88E9DEA-193D-4E09-87BF-2C314EA80826.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  32.6 KB

Video of the incident

Longer video showing how ambulatory dude is at least 10+ minutes after being shot.

Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-23-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How about this:
    Attach a balloon to the "A" box(define your incapacitation standard size) and require a first or second* round hit to continue the drill.
    I was thinking a piece of steel (I think the plate I have is 8") for shot #1 and a target for #2-10. You could make first shot miss a total failure, or cut down the number of follow up shots, figuring that the guy wouldn't have stuck around for another nine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List