Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Food Court inspired drills

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    There is a steel IDPA sized target set up at 50 yards and, trust me, most any duty gun is capable of consistently putting good hits on that target. Shooters just need to build their confidence that THEY can do their part.
    You are correct.

Gravity and the wind will generally have negligible effect on point of impact at 40-50 yards.

Also, there is little change in bullet effectiveness from velocity loss at such distance.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    An eight inch round steel should reasonably represent an A zone plus some C.

What would be neat, is if you had two stationary eight inch plates, and if you hit them in two shots, the drill is over. If you miss, the two plates start moving and the drill isn't over until you hit both plates. It would reward first shot accuracy and "reward" lack of first shot accuracy with a moving target.

At 40 yards, you better have a reasonably precise shooting gun, with ammo that supports precision, and you must know your zero.
    Spot on as usual, @GJM. How would the plates move? Like a rotator or star?
    I did scan through the rest of the thread and commend folks for getting out and challenging themselves, or simulating in dry fire.
    Decades ago (US IPSC) at a local club match, there was a casual side challenge I put up for kicks. Single stationary popper if I recall at about 80 paces(75 yards?). Fastest time to hit “won”- the rest of us bought his beer that evening. Some folks couldn’t hit it and were stopped after a mag of 8 rounds(1911 era). I went prone and had first round hit between 4-5 seconds, and felt pretty good about it. Then a local farmer who shot with us a lot, stepped up, drew a 10 mm Colt and hit with the first round in a little less than 3 seconds. Well…darn.
    Pre-internet days we had a club newsletter- you got paper mail delivered- and I had outlined the challenge. Intrigued the farmer; he hung the center of a tractor wheel about 90 yards away and every morning for a few weeks fired a full mag at it before going on with his day.
    He knew his zero…
    Best to all here and don’t forget the CQB distances!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I did it on the third hit
    Doh, words have meanings!!
    I hit it on the third shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Spot on as usual, @GJM. How would the plates move? Like a rotator or star?
    I’m cracking up over here wondering whom he’s going to phone to help him figure out the implementation of his imaginary rig that starts moving when you miss it.

I have a number of ideas of how you could do this, but all are unnecessarily complex compared to just stopping after two shots if you hit them and if you miss, moving to a star that’s already in motion.

When I arrived at the range this afternoon, I decided to immediately and cold, shoot my versions of this. That was ten shots to a USPSA target, and after scoring it, repeat to an eight inch steel. I used my field rig, which I was wearing -- Gen 5 G19, Holosun 407CO, Mayhem comp, LTT stippling and stock trigger, except for a 5 pound striker spring. I pulled the penetrator ammo out of frugalness, and shot AE 115 ball.

On the way over, with CO gear, I estimated 1.75 to shot one, .50-60 splits for about 7 seconds plus or minus. I ran it in 6.75 with 6 A and 4 C. Then repeated in the eight steel, which looked crazy small at 40 yards. That was 7.23 with 7/10 hits.

At the end of the session, I convinced my wife to do it. She shot her 365XL from a high ready, due to belt and holster considerations. She was also 6.75, with 7A, 1C, 1D and 1 miss.

I considered running it with my Open gun but then decided that was lame.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I arrived at the range this afternoon, I decided to immediately and cold, shoot my versions of this. That was ten shots to a USPSA target, and after scoring it, repeat to an eight inch steel. I used my field rig, which I was wearing -- Gen 5 G19, Holosun 407CO, Mayhem comp, LTT stippling and stock trigger, except for a 5 pound striker spring. I pulled the penetrator ammo out of frugalness, and shot AE 115 ball.

On the way over, with CO gear, I estimated 1.75 to shot one, .50-60 splits for about 7 seconds plus or minus. I ran it in 6.75 with 6 A and 4 C. Then repeated in the eight steel, which looked crazy small at 40 yards. That was 7.23 with 7/10 hits.

At the end of the session, I convinced my wife to do it. She shot her 365XL from a high ready, due to belt and holster considerations. She was also 6.75, with 7A, 1C, 1D and 1 miss.

I considered running it with my Open gun but then decided that was lame.
    Good on y’all for stepping up! Interesting that the ball shoots well compared with the hotter stuff.
    The versions can vary- the point is to challenge oneself outside our “normal parameters”.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m cracking up over here wondering whom he’s going to phone to help him figure out the implementation of his imaginary rig that starts moving when you miss it.

I have a number of ideas of how you could do this, but all are unnecessarily complex compared to just stopping after two shots if you hit them and if you miss, moving to a star that’s already in motion.
    Complex but worth pursuing?

With Bluetooth Timers and Arduino solenoids perhaps?

The shooter's beep starts a short random countdown before the target is released to move. Or the shooter's first shot initiates the sequence.

YOU are the Mad Dremel Scientist...get on it!

Irrelevant opinion: random movers, 3D reactive targets, surprise target arrays are things USPSA abandoned when it moved explicitly away from it's martial roots to gun racing. Much was gained, but much was also lost.
    IDPA sports should take taken up the torch, but was fixated on the "Arms race"
    IMHO.

My buddy japped out yesterday, so I went on my own today.

10" plate at 40-45 yards
    I used my carry M9A3G with the 147gr HST that was loaded in it.
    I could have braced against my truck or a tree, but I said fuck it and shot freestyle.
    No timer.
    I shot SA because when the going gets tough, the tough cheat.

First shot was a miss, second round hit. I did repeats of two rounds, and it was 50/50 overall, but with nothing behind the plate I have no idea how bad those misses were.

Not good, but considering how little shooting I've done in the last two years, and that I can't recall the last time I fired a duty pistol at 40-50 yards, it wasn't horrible. The 10" plate looks enormous, but i have to admit that I'm now optics ready.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Complex but worth pursuing?

With Bluetooth Timers and Arduino solenoids perhaps?

The shooter's beep starts a short random countdown before the target is released to move. Or the shooter's first shot initiates the sequence.

YOU are the Mad Dremel Scientist...get on it!

Irrelevant opinion: random movers, 3D reactive targets, surprise target arrays are things USPSA abandoned when it moved explicitly away from it's martial roots to gun racing. Much was gained, but much was also lost.
    IDPA sports should take taken up the torch, but was fixated on the "Arms race"
    IMHO.
    So going down this rabbit hole for fun, here are my thoughts.

If we talk about transitioning to different targets that’s slightly different than staying on the same target that moves.

And significantly easier to design.

Having a time delay target could work in a pinch using representative times at that distance. Say set a 3 second to first hit time and after that it starts moving.

I have these targets that can be set up to arc sideways instead of front and back.

Mechanically, I think the best solution for this kind of thing is just using a Texas star at distance but requiring that the first hit be on a side or bottom plate.

My star uses 6” plates which I like for ease of setup and the challenge.

The thought being that after you get your first hit, the star immediately starts in motion.

If you transition fast enough then the second plate won’t be moving much… but any delay and the thing is swinging a lot.

Set a total time par to hit two plates.

Doesn’t start moving on a miss but can work around it with time pars like you suggested.

Things get much simpler with more stringent constraints.

1. Miss the first shot and you fail. Drill is over.
    2. Drill must be completed twice (or more) consecutively to prevent “getting lucky” with the first shot.

When my daughter gets old enough we are going to set up a remote controlled vehicle with a mounted target.

With the Magnetospeed T1000, could log hits.

Not to pee in people's Cheerios, and no disrespect to Mr. Dickens, but was it really 40 yards? I've seen conflicting reports; I could have sworn in the original thread seeing a reference to 76 feet.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List