Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles=avoiding Cstore/gas station crime

Electric vehicles=avoiding Cstore/gas station crime

Just a thought that struct me while doing research for future replacement vehicle for gf's business. She has to haul lot of stuff around & fuel is an expense so things being equal lower fuel expense means more profitable.

Was watching YouTuber that did episode on cost/mile of electricity vs gas comparing F150 Lighting for electric vehicle to Raptor & F150 hybrid for the gas vehicles.

One of the comments to the YouTube mentioned how him and his wife both have electric vehicles and don't have to go to gas stations anymore, they are doing all their charging at home. I know how Tom Givens and others have talked about how Cstores and Parking lots are high risk areas.

So just thought how having BEV that you charged at home would just eliminate need to go to Cstore/gas Station as useful benefit.

Now if you have to do lot of long range driving it would be more complicated, since BEV will require ~40-75 minutes at decent fast charger.

A diesel or some hybrids might possibly lower your exposure time significantly if you put on a lot of miles annually do reducing number of stop for fuel required because of the better mileage.

Anyway just a thought that others might find of interest.

I'm kind of leaning towards something like the Lightning for her if she likes it, and something like the RAV4 Prime a PHEV (hybrid with larger than typical hybrid battery than can go around 40 miles on pure battery but still has gas engine) as my next vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    One of the comments to the YouTube mentioned how him and his wife both have electric vehicles and don't have to go to gas stations anymore, they are doing all their charging at home. I know how Tom Givens and others have talked about how Cstores and Parking lots are high risk areas.
    The choice of electric is definitely a possibility to eliminate some risk, but I think picking a good place to fuel up provides good amount too. I gas up at costco in an fairly well to do area. The next nearest costco is a little sketch, so I avoid that one if possible.

The challenge is when you're out and drive farther and have to charge outside of at home.

The apps that tell you where fast chargers are tell me where there will be people sitting in a parked car for an hour or more. The various Tesla fast charging stations I've seen along highways do not inspire confidence. They place you in something akin to a rest stop. Only they're less well lit, they offer little to nothing in the form of amenities or witnesses. Meaning you basically have to sit in your car while you wait. If it hasn't been happening already, it wouldn't surprise me if enterprising criminals start targeting these areas when they want to carjack/rob someone.

I really don't like the thought of being parked in secluded'ish space for 30+ minutes.

Like Flamingo, I typically fill up at a local Costco. Which in addition to saving cash also doesn't typically have crime issues. Costco is a turn and burn type situation and employees are constantly in and around the pumps. It's not impossible that you could get hit, but it's not a CStore and the risk is much more minimal.

Choosing a larger gas station that is well lit and opting to not go into the store really reduces your risk. Take your keys out of the ignition (I have a locking gas cap on my vehicle, I have to take my keys out to unlock the gas cap) and lock your doors.

When I'm at a sketchy station, I prefer to stand behind my vehicle about 6-8 feet. It gives me a buffer in the event of a fire and it gives me a chance to read the folks around me and determine if anyone is sketch.

Being ready to do the Fred Flintstone with 'em.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    something like the RAV4 Prime a PHEV (hybrid with larger than typical hybrid battery than can go around 40 miles on pure battery but still has gas engine) as my next vehicle.
    I was kind of sniffing around the Honda Clarity PHEV sedan; about the size of an Accord, just ugly. But it did not last beyond one body style cycle. Must not have sold, maybe it was troublesome or just ugly.

I got to thinking about the RAV4 Prime, but then a friend drove us to a shooting match in a regular RAV4 which turned me off the type. I had hoped I would like it better than a CRV but did not.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

We fuel up in the morning when the only people at the gas station are office workers getting coffee, trades/lawn crews, and fishermen with boats. Sometimes we go together so one can be a lookout while the other is fueling (that's also the way we use ATMs). We are in and out like we're robbing the place. I'm with @RevolverRob on not wanting to be a target for longer than that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

@Dov

We bought my wife a Tesla when she was pregnant with our daughter for that reason.

Avoiding gas stations.

I try not to get gas when I have my daughter in the car.

And if I do, I make sure I have situational awareness and a hand on a pocket revolver.

Excellent line of reasoning. I've been married 21 years, and I believe in that time, my wife has filled her tank just as many. If need be, I'll make a run to the station, or take her vehicle when I run a quick errand and top it off. It's just become part of the process and is no inconvenience. If anything, it gives me some road time to make sure it's in good mechanical order.

Folks love to hate on EVs and alternative energy, but more options are a good thing.

I'll save my anti solar rant for another time. Let's just say that a 6,000 acre solar farm is unwanted in the local farming community. However Bill Gates and his shell corporations have different plans.
    Taking a break from social media.

I would like an AWD diesel hybrid crossover that gets 50 MPG. I'm currently driving a full size AWD sedan that gets 40+ MPG. With a 20 gallon tank, it has a 900 mile range so I don't fill up that often.

As someone with a flexible schedule, I try to get fuel during the afternoon when gas stations are typically quiet and not a lot of people are around.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would like an AWD diesel hybrid crossover that gets 50 MPG. I'm currently driving a full size AWD sedan that gets 40+ MPG. With a 20 gallon tank, it has a 900 mile range so I don't fill up that often.

As someone with a flexible schedule, I try to get fuel during the afternoon when gas stations are typically quiet and not a lot of people are around.
    I'm curious what model that is, VW/Audi diesel?

User Tag List