Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCM charging handle - which size?

Site Supporter

BCM charging handle - which size?

I'm building a new upper for my SBR and would like to upgrade the charging handle at the same time.

I'm looking at the ones from BCM but have not and likely will not have an opportunity to see or try them in person first.

I'm currently running a standard charging handle with a PRI latch (the lower profile one) and the upper will wear an Aimpoint T1.

Any suggestions for the sweet spot in sizes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'm building a new upper for my SBR and would like to upgrade the charging handle at the same time.

I'm looking at the ones from BCM but have not and likely will not have an opportunity to see or try them in person first.

I'm currently running a standard charging handle with a PRI latch (the lower profile one) and the upper will wear an Aimpoint T1.

Any suggestions for the sweet spot in sizes?
    If you shoot lefty, the larger Ambi models are a godsend for getting over the forward assist cleanly at speed.

Otherwise the '3x3' smaller model works very well for the overwhelming majority of purposes outside of outright race guns (IMHO, anyway)

If you're ever going to run a can on it, a Radian Raptor-SD charging handle does make a difference mitigating gas-to-face, and would be worth considering.

One consideration is if you plan on carrying your gun around a lot with its lung to your back. The wider handles can start digging into your back or get caught up on gear.

BCM charging handle - which size?

I’ve found the Geissele Airborne charging handle to be the best balance of size, functionality, and gas to the face reduction.
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 07-19-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Geissele Airborne
    BCM 3B or 3x3
    PRI Gas Buster w/ Big Latch(?)
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I’m a fan of the smallest BCM, only because it’s more than functional but less likely to get hung up on gear while slung, vs. the larger charging handles. Then I’d do the high-temp silicone seal mod if shooting suppressed.

The smallest BCM works for me.

Smallest unless you need to clear a big optic. The big ones catch on gear or poke when slung.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I don’t know why BCM did this, but the 4 series is the medium latch. So 4B is single sided and 4x4 is ambi, whereas the 3 is large. You’d think it’d be the other way around. I vastly prefer the 4x4. It’s about the same size as the ACH which is my favorite CH though the 4x4 isn’t far behind. Unfortunately BCM raised the price on them not long ago, you used to be able to get them for around $60 I think. Now they’re basically on par with the price of an ACH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t know why BCM did this, but the 4 series is the medium latch. So 4B is single sided and 4x4 is ambi, whereas the 3 is large. You’d think it’d be the other way around. I vastly prefer the 4x4. It’s about the same size as the ACH which is my favorite CH though the 4x4 isn’t far behind. Unfortunately BCM raised the price on them not long ago, you used to be able to get them for around $60 I think. Now they’re basically on par with the price of an ACH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good clarification - somehow I own three of their charging handles and I never noticed it was an inverted number system. But yes, agreed, the small ambi models are the best IME for all the same reasons stated above.

User Tag List