Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there...?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Since I have smaller hands and am not that tall, I found that my SW Model 19 was fun to shoot but not a comfortable carry gun. To answer the 6 shot revolver quest, if it came to that - my solution was the now not made - SW 632 in 327 Mag. I changed out the sights to a front fiber optic and a back white U on black. I can shoot from mild SW 32 Long to rather impressive flash and bang 327s from different companies. Right now some Buffalo Bore is the preferred 327.

This would be my carry gun if the controllers mandated just wheel guns or I couldn't handle a semi anymore.

I've seen from industry figures that only a few thousand 32 ish revolvers are made a year - too bad.

Attachment 91720

I've mentioned before that when I shot full powered 327s in a match, it scared the SO and crowd at first. They though I done blowed up. I loaded those just to see how they worked with repeated shots and to knock down steel.
    I’ll don’t understand why Ruger doesn’t do a 3” LCRx in .327, well I guess I do (not economical) but wish they would.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    But the only other gun that has much appeal to me from Smith is a 327 TRR8 as a night stand gun.
    The problem with the TRR8 is it's so ugly, you almost hope you put your eye out somehow.

This was my S&W grail gun: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-model-327pd-4

Name:  163419_01_lg_0.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  15.8 KB

I still think it's awesome and love everything about what it is supposed to be except the lock. Returning to the theme of the thread, as far as I can tell, there's only ever been one run of 327 PDs. Which is super lame, as I think there's a strong argument that it would be a far more useful gun for the vast majority of people than the 329 PD, which remains in production.

My best guess as to why is that people just don't shoot the 329 PD that much, so the small number of them that get sent back when factory ammo flame cuts the crap out of the cylinder and the blast shield under the top strap is manageable. Whereas .357 would be far more shootable, and you'd have a much greater number of people shooting a lot more rounds and tearing them up. So S&W should call them something else and make them with stainless cylinders, the way they make the TRR8.

Eventually, I actually got one. Even picked up a stainless cylinder for it. Then discovered the gun was a turd, defectively made from the factory. S&W didn't have the parts needed to fix it, so they just sent it back to me saying it was fixed.

That was the beginning of my de-S&W-ification.

If they ever made the six-inch version of this gun as an eight-shot 627, I'd probably still buy one. https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-629
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-20-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The problem with the TRR8 is it's so ugly, you almost hope you put your eye out somehow.
    That's what I love about it. It's Smith's revolver jab to the eye of traditional revolvers. Let's hang a nigh useless rail off the front and a huge optic rail on top to make one of the ugliest revolvers ever made. Also, I like Impressionist art so...maybe I'm just able to squint my eyes hard enough to see the gestalt of revolver and be satisfied.

One of these days, I'll get around to getting one of these and work up an absurd tape switch to actually run a weapon light on the gun without needing proctologist fingers.

There still exist numerous examples of the Colt D frame alloy guns in the Agent and Cobra models, they make excellent carry guns, though id probably suggest limiting how much hot ammo one shoots in them. Hands are available through Jack First and Numrich, contrary to popular belief, and theres a couple guys around that can keep them tuned as needed if one doesnt want to mess with it themself.

The Js are not as easy to shoot, the Ks are a bit big for pocket carry, the Ds fall about midway between them in size and are 6 shot. My 1980s Agent instantly became my favorite pocket carry gun, deposing the 640 that had been there daily for 8 or so years. A thumb on the back of the hammer reduces or eliminates hanging up when drawn. Pachmayr compacts are large enough to shoot it well, but still pocket capable. They did make several D frame variants in 3 inch also, but Im really liking the 2 inch for pocket carry.

They arent quite as flashy as some of the newer stuff, and dont have prefabulated amulite alloy frames or adamantium cylinders, but are still viable lighter carry guns. Id like to get a steel frame Detective Special of the same general vintage as a practice shooter though, to save wear on the alloy gun.

https://jackfirstinc.com/colt-d-hand-154-56086

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/174800A
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-20-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

That's what I love about it. It's Smith's revolver jab to the eye of traditional revolvers.
    If that’s a jab to the eye, the Chiappa is a club to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    If that’s a jab to the eye, the Chiappa is a club to the head.
    Well...the Rhino is on the list before another K-Frame Smith too...

In fact the only K-Frame on my list is if I find an old PPC gun built on a K.

About 4 years ago I purchased a Colt Cobra 2017, and a Kimber K6s to accompany and compete with my Smith 640 Pro. After a years evaluation I sold the Kimber which had the best action and handled all ammo well. Hated the grips, Hogue has finally produced some Rubber grips that solved my problem with the K6.
    I traded the 640 Pro away and then traded back for it, my bellyache with the 640 was sights were not regulated to any defense round I was using and it was a 5 shot. I traded it back just cause it's neat and shows what Smith can do when they want.
    Th Colt 2017 Cobra was an accurate, easy shooting 38 with good grips. I kept and carried it but ultimately traded it for a 3" King Cobra. I really enjoy shooting the KC and it carries easily at 26 ounces with a great trigger compared to all the snubbies except for the K6. But it shoots to point of aim with a 38/44 load that also shoots to POA for the 640 Pro so my journey has been expensive but well worth it. The KC outshoots the 640 in my hands but then it should. The D frame Colt is "just right" in size and weight. Snuggles nicely in an IWB in summer and DeSantis Scabbard in cold weather. If it's really cold weather then the 640 goes in an overcoat or Mackinaw pocket.

I'll pretend I hate telling you guys this...but I don't...K-Frames really aren't that great, the D-Frame carries better, the L-Frame/GP100 shoots better. The K is the worst of both worlds. A 3" GP100 carries the same as the K-Frame, but handles magnums much better. The 3" D-Frame is literally the perfect size for carry and shooting with .38. Don't kid yourselves guys - the 3" D is the better gun for carrying and the 3" L/GP is the better gun for shooting.

Back in the day the K-Frame was better than the Colt for shooting a lot and the L-Frame/GP100 didn't exist, but we don't live in 1970 any more.

I've owned them all and the K-Frames are all gone, because they're collectible now and worth more to me as cash than as guns. I actually don't regret selling any of my old Smiths...now you know I'm crazy.
    Me and Stephanie once switched speed loaders during a competition. She was shooting an L frame, me a k frame. That speed loader was significantly larger that it lasted about a minute before I pulled it out and gave it the stink eye.

Sorry L frames don't carry the same and neither do their speed loaders. That's like saying a Glock and spare mag Carry's the same as a 1911+reload.

My m66-8 is over 25k magnums. I recently replaced the cylinder stop. If we don't live in 1970 any more than we also don't live in the 80s. Modern K frames are a stronger gun.

There were some cool Titanium ones, 386sc, mountainlite, etc.

I hold out hope that Ruger will one day make a larger LCR capable of 6 rounds of .38 +p. While I'm dreaming I would like to see it with Novak style sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List