Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any reviews on turret presses?

I had very good use of a Lee classic turret when I started reloading, also loaded sub MOA rifle ammo there with no issues. I moved to a Dillon Xl550 and then moved again to a XL750. I loaded sub MOA ammo on the xl550 with no issues. If I had to choose one press for what you describe il just get the Dillon 550 and use it for both. I still use the Lee now for bolt rifle loading . Pistol gets loaded on my 750.

Site Supporter
    I've been using Lee turret presses since I started reloading nearly 25 years ago. I started with the original 3-die version, upgraded that one to 4-die with the upgrade kit, then replaced that press with the classic cast version when it came out 15 years ago or so (gave the original to my buddy who still uses it). I currently load 32swl, 38spec, 45acp/ar, 223rem, 308win, 6.5x55, and 35whelen. In the past, I've loaded 357mag, 44spec, 44mag, and 300wm. I have dies for 9mm but haven't set them up yet. I typically set up a dedicated turret for each caliber so I can easily switch calibers.

I've yet to run into a situation that makes me think I should get a "better" press. Volume might be an excuse to "upgrade" but quality of outcome in the final product hasn't been.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m very content with my Lee Classic Turret.
    4 die stations:
    - reform/ deprime
    - flare / powder charge
    - bullet seat
    - “factory crimp”
    Ditto. Faster than a single stage, less tinkering and aggravation than a progressive. I could easily have the Classic Turret as my only press.

There’s a couple of reasons I’m interested:

The 5 holes on my LNL AP sometimes aren’t enough.

I load 10mm (revolver) with a hefty charge of 4227 that needs a compression die. That’s fine, but I give up the crimp station. A 6-or-more station turret would give me room for a drop tube as well (my .22 Hornet definitely needs one.)

The other thing is rifle. I don’t load nearly as much as pistol, but id like to leave the dies set for my .300 BO & .223.

Reloading press

Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret press. I just started reloading in the past year—I had had it with lack of ammo availability and high prices when you could find it. I shoot only .38 special and .357 for now. It has been satisfying to learn how to reload and not feel pinched for ammo. The Lee has been around for a long time and as a result there are a lot of YouTube instruction videos to learn the set up and use. It has worked will for me. I shoot about 150 rounds a week. I’d never be able to do that without reloading.
    There are nicer/higher quality presses out there, but for a new reloader or someone not loading thousands of rounds a month, the Lee fits fine for me and I don’t anticipate trading up anytime soon.
    Good luck with your choice—I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the common brands. Find one that works and get reloading!

Tar

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Do you guys swap turret heads when swapping calibers or just the dies? I'm running an old 4 hole Lee Classic turret press and I have turret heads for each caliber I load.
    When I only had one head, I swapped dies. I've got two now and never remove the dies from them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List