Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ammo question for an old P6.

I normally ran Federal 9 BP 9mm standard pressure 115 gr in mine, but also Cor-Bon 115 gr +P as I recall. A more pointed bullet and/or a 124 gr or 147 gr might resolve things, but I'm skeptical. What was really needed in my opinion would have ben an extended tube magazine and different spring to resolve the overpressure on the feed lips, or a better engineered magazine. Apparently the issues were addressed and successfully surmounted with the P239, but the results apparently weren't transferrable to the P225/P6. P225/P6 and P239 magazines ARE NOT interchangeable.

Best, Jon

I've held the 239;
    Nice gun, but not the feel of the 225/P6.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I've held the 239;
    Nice gun, but not the feel of the 225/P6.
    Agreed. It's quite good, just lacking the exquisite ergos of the P225....But a far better choice for "real world" actual use for that platform niche.

Arguably the best niche choices would be a Walther P5, Beretta 92D FS Type M, or a Smith & Wesson 3913/3914 (especially the Ladysmith variants, with the more streamlined dust cover).

Best, Jon

SIG brought out the P225a1 which is an entirely different gun.

I think you could have grips of original P6 shape inletted to the P235 frame and have the best of both worlds in single stack DA-SA.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    SIG brought out the P225a1 which is an entirely different gun.

I think you could have grips of original P6 shape inletted to the P235 frame and have the best of both worlds in single stack DA-SA.
    In that niche, at the price points the guns that we're discussing are at, I think I'd rather just get a good Walther P5 and a set of Hogue rubber or Nill walnut grips and 5 magazines and a decent holster and call things good.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    An unanswered question is, "How could the P225 do so well in the German trials and in extensive, multi-German State and federal agency issue without the problems cropping up?" The best answer we could come up with was the hypothesis that the German LEOs carried their issue pistols, but qualified (and possibly trained with) other P225 pistols/magazines dedicated for range/training use, preserving wear and tear on actual issue pistols, precluding the problems from appearing.
    Strange. A good former school-friend of mine is police officer in Germany (North-Rhine Westphalia) since more than 20 years. A few years ago at a reunion meeting, we talked about guns. I know, he had carried the P6 on duty for more than 10 years. And as I know him from the past, he likes to train shooting. Since about 2006, he was issued the Walther P99. He told me, he liked the P6 more. Sounds to me like he had no problems with the P6. Also I don't remember reading about P6 problems with the police here in Germany.

Don't know for sure if he trained with different magazines than the ones he carried in his pistol (but I don't think so). Will ask him at the next reunion meeting. What I already know is that hollow-point bullets were forbidden for a long time here. I assume, he carried only round-nose bullets in his P6.
    Last edited by P30; 07-18-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Strange. A good school-friend of mine is police officer in Germany (North-Rhine Westphalia) since more than 20 years. A few years ago at a reunion meeting, we talked about guns. I know, he had carried the P6 on duty for more than 10 years. And as I know him from the past, he likes to train shooting. Since about 2006, he was issued the Walther P99. He told me, he liked the P6 more. Sounds to me like he had no problems with the P6. Also I don't remember reading about P6 problems with the police here in Germany.
    Ask him how he trained, and with what weapons did he train with (individual issue or organizational/range provided. Ask specific questions about magazines-did he train with individual issue magazines or organizationally provided one for the training. Ask about magazine rotation policies and practices.

The issues with the P225/P6 have been pretty well discussed, at least in the US over the years.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Do you think a better designed mag is possible specifically for the P225/P6? One that would eliminate the fed lip issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The issues with the P225/P6 have been pretty well discussed, at least in the US over the years.
    So you assume, if he ever had to use his trusty "Excalibur" to defend his life, it would likely have let him down? And this would apply for every German police officer with a P6? These were more than 100,000 police officers.

"Das wäre ja ein dicker Hund!" Literally translated: Now that would be a fat dog! Do you also say so in English? Means in German: That would be a huge thing!
    Last edited by P30; 07-18-2022 at 03:39 PM.

I first read M. Ayoob on the spreading lips of the P6/225.

Which is why I thought of a P225 grip shape to fit the P239 (not P235, oops).

My P225 is relegated to House Gun and does not see enough use to be afflicted.

I think the P-guns pretty much peaked out with the P228.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List