Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo question for an old P6.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Ah yes.
    Belong to both, but they tend to be long in the tooth : not consise like the PF hive.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm pretty sure no pistols are certified for +P+ since there are no specs for it except "hotter than +P". That said, I don't think running enough to vet it would hurt it, the P6s were designed to run on NATO-spec ball.

Federal shows their current version of the 9BP load here, though they don't call it that anymore. They actually have it in stock, too.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

9BPLE is said to be a "mild" +P+, just over SAAMI.
    Me? I have carried plain vanilla 9BP ever since M. Ayoob recommended it. I know there are higher tech higher velocity hollow points but I don't care to spend the time and money keeping up with the Joneses on the Bullet of the Month.

I am sure the Sig boards will have names of shops to recut your feed ramp, it was a routine operation when P6s were rolling off the ships.

Robert Burke is at https://www.thesigarmorer.com
    Have to ask if he cares to bother with a single step job like that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    This ammo is +P+. Would an early 80's Sig be rated for such?
    I'm pretty sure no pistols are certified for +P+ since there are no specs for it except "hotter than +P".
    @revchuck38 is correct on that, and that a little won't hurt anything. It was a duty round, not a training round, so nobody shot thousands of rounds of it. The guys with SIGs didn't have any problems. If it worries you, just go with the 9BP. It was our MP5 round because +P+ definitely was not recommended in them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    We issued 9BP and 9BPLE for at least a decade. New designs are better, but I wouldn't lose sleep if I had to carry either of those now.
    I have a small supply of this round in standard pressure and +p+. The original poster can pm me if he wishes to experiment.

I have a suggestion which will sound simplistic. Buy Flitz polish and use a Q tip and elbow grease to polish the feed ramp. Don't laugh. For me this stuff has solved every problem except sexual dysfunction.

And buy a Wolff extra power mag spring. Can the op experiment by replacing the mag follower with a newer design from a more recent pistol? This may or may not work.

Sigh. I ran a P225 for a significant period from about 1992 to about 2006 or so. The ergos of the gun are exquisite, and it's a joy to carry. Triggerpull can be nicely massaged as well, but only so far due to the action geometry.

However-and this is a big however-there is a huge problem with it, and it has to do with the magazines. They're single stack, 8 rounds, and configured to be flush with the butt of the gun when loaded. When fully loaded, there is constant pressure against the feed lips, which over time, and, in my experience, relatively short time, began to microscopically spread.

Operational problems manifest themselves when performing a reload. With your first magazine, which is administratively loaded and chambered (and it doesn't matter if it's loaded, round chambered, and then topped off { so you're 8+1), or run with a round in the chamber and 7 in the magazine, for 7+1) problems aren't encountered. Where the problems occur is when you're at slidelock, and reload a next magazine, and try to go into battery; the top round tends to nosedive and stumble at the feedramp.

With the senior gunsmith a SIG at the time, the late Mike Guarnieri, we literally worked for years, repeated times to resolve this issue. My P225 was obtained BNIB-I was the original owner-and we experimented with multiple magazines-mine, brand new ones, etc. All magazines were SIG OEM, again with me as the original owner.

Ultimately and after much work and time personally expended on my personal P225 and magazines, Mike deferred to an H.P. White Lab study, which established that the pressure weight each cartridge placed on the feed lips were geometric, not progressive, and that the only effective solution was to download magazines by 1-2 rounds. The magazine in the gun, however, could be at 8 rounds, as the problem manifested itself only during initial chambering of a reload magazine (and it didn't matter if the reload was initiated by utilizing the slide release, or tug/release the slide, or overhand tug/release the slide).

We hypothesized that the problems didn't occur during the normal firing cycle do to the speed and mass of the slide reciprocation during the operating sequence after firing; the slide's mass and speed overpowered/overcame the stumbling point.

At the time, I owned copied of all of the pistols that succeeded in the 1970 German Police trials, The P225, a HK P7 PSP, and a Walther P5. All of them were superb pistols, all of them with single-stack 8 round magazines. The HK and Walther magazines were more extensively engineered (and significantly more expensive), but both the P5 and P7 were noted for impeccable operational performance.

I held on to the P225 the longest, hoping that Mike could resolve the issue. The P5 and P7 were superbly engineered, but the P7 had a very unique manual of arms, and heated up very quickly, and the P5 had a hitch in the triggerpull near the break point, induced as the triggerpull physically raised the safety out of the way during the firing sequence.

Ultimately I sold all three (I probably should have held on to one of my P5s)(I also had a P5C, which was a kludge pistol, with a huge inherent material flaw, but that's another story-and the flaw was unique to the P5C, not the P5).

A P225/P6 is a great pistol, but not one that I felt trustworthy for duty or defensive carry unless the magazines were downloaded as discussed (I personally downloaded mine to 6 rounds). Ultimately, a Glock G19 just made more sense on multiple levels (weight, reliability, durability, weather imperviousness, magazines, cost). In the 2000, a moved from a preponderance of SIGs to Glocks, with no real regrets.

Another solution to the P225 conundrum was to move to the P239, which had a similar profile and single-stack magazine, but was the beneficiary of better engineering and magazines. The P239 never quite developed the cachet and exquisite ergonomics of the P225/P6, but it was operationally a better gun, and with multiple caliber options. Other successful similarly sized single stack 9mm pistols of the period were the Smith & Wesson 3913/3914 and Beretta 92 FS Type M, any an all of with were operationally superior to the P225/P6.

An unanswered question is, "How could the P225 do so well in the German trials and in extensive, multi-German State and federal agency issue without the problems cropping up?" The best answer we could come up with was the hypothesis that the German LEOs carried their issue pistols, but qualified (and possibly trained with) other P225 pistols/magazines dedicated for range/training use, preserving wear and tear on actual issue pistols, precluding the problems from appearing.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-18-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Sigh. I ran a P225 for a significant period from about 1992 to about 2006 or so. The ergos of the gun are exquisite, and it's a joy to carry. Triggerpull can be nicely massaged as well, but only so far due to the action geometry.

However-and this is a big however-there is a huge problem with it, and it has to do with the magazines. They're single stack, 8 rounds, and configured to be flush with the butt of the gun when loaded. When fully loaded, there is constant pressure against the feed lips, which over time, and, in my experience, relatively short time, began to microscopically spread.

Operational problems manifest themselves when performing a reload. With your first magazine, which is administratively loaded and chambered (and it doesn't matter if it's loaded, round chambered, and then topped off { so you're 8+1), or run with a round in the chamber and 7 in the magazine, for 7+1) problems aren't encountered. Where the problems occur is when you're at slidelock, and reload a next magazine, and try to go into battery; the top round tends to nosedive and stumble at the feedramp.

With the senior gunsmith a SIG at the time, the late Mike Guarnieri, we literally worked for years, repeated times to resolve this issue. My P225 was obtained BNIB-I was the original owner-and we experimented with multiple magazines-mine, brand new ones, etc. All magazines were SIG OEM, again with me as the original owner.

Ultimately and after much work and time personally expended on my personal P225 and magazines, Mike deferred to an H.P. White Lab study, which established that the pressure weight each cartridge placed on the feed lips were geometric, not progressive, and that the only effective solution was to download magazines by 1-2 rounds. The magazine in the gun, however, could be at 8 rounds, as the problem manifested itself only during initial chambering of a reload magazine (and it didn't matter if the reload was initiated by utilizing the slide release, or tug/release the slide, or overhand tug/release the slide).

We hypothesized that the problems didn't occur during the normal firing cycle do to the speed and mass of the slide reciprocation during the operating sequence after firing; the slide's mass and speed overpowered/overcame the stumbling point.

At the time, I owned copied of all of the pistols that succeeded in the 1970 German Police trials, The P225, a HK P7 PSP, and a Walther P5. All of them were superb pistols, all of them with single-stack 8 round magazines. The HK and Walther magazines were more extensively engineered (and significantly more expensive), but both the P5 and P7 were noted for impeccable operational performance.

I held on to the P225 the longest, hoping that Mike could resolve the issue. The P5 and P7 were superbly engineered, but the P7 had a very unique manual of arms, and heated up very quickly, and the P5 had a hitch in the triggerpull near the break point, induced as the triggerpull physically raised the safety out of the way during the firing sequence.

Ultimately I sold all three (I probably should have held on to one of my P5s)(I also had a P5C, which was a kludge pistol, with a huge inherent material flaw, but that's another story-and the flaw was unique to the P5C, not the P5).

A P225/P6 is a great pistol, but not one that I felt trustworthy for duty or defensive carry unless the magazines were downloaded as discussed (I personally downloaded mine to 6 rounds). Ultimately, a Glock G19 just made more sense on multiple levels (weight, reliability, durability, weather imperviousness, magazines, cost). In the 2000, a moved from a preponderance of SIGs to Glocks, with no real regrets.

Another solution to the P225 conundrum was to move to the P239, which had a similar profile and single-stack magazine, but was the beneficiary of better engineering and magazines. The P239 never quite developed the cachet and exquisite ergonomics of the P225/P6, but it was operationally a better gun, and with multiple caliber options. Other successful similarly sized single stack 9mm pistols of the period were the Smith & Wesson 3913/3914 and Beretta 92 FS Type M, any an all of with were operationally superior to the P225/P6.

An unanswered question is, "How could the P225 do so well in the German trials and in extensive, multi-German State and federal agency issue without the problems cropping up?" The best answer we could come up with was the hypothesis that the German LEOs carried their issue pistols, but qualified (and possibly trained with) other P225 pistols/magazines dedicated for range/training use, preserving wear and tear on actual issue pistols, precluding the problems from appearing.

Best, Jon
    Outstanding post.

Vending Machine Operator
    Was worried this was the P6 I sold to a P-F member back in the day, but you said you got it from your dad, phew.

I hope you're able to get 'er runnin.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Was worried this was the P6 I sold to a P-F member back in the day, but you said you got it from your dad, phew.

I hope you're able to get 'er runnin.
    I had bought it when they were first released in the US.
    I gave it to my father to shoot and have fun with..... And forgot about it.
    He gave it back to me about a year ago.
    Replaced every spring and pin in the gun when I got it back.... Even mag springs.
    As put, it'll run perfectly on ball, not so much on the hp I have

Site Supporter
    I wonder if it would run on the M1152 (?) flat-nose ball? I bought some out of curiosity and it went ~1240 fps from my PX4. If I had to run ball, that'd be my choice.

I wonder if it would run on the M1152 (?) flat-nose ball? I bought some out of curiosity and it went ~1240 fps from my PX4. If I had to run ball, that'd be my choice.
    Years ago when living in NJ, I had some of that Federal EFMJ.

That fed if I remember correctly.
    I'm gonna have to buy a few different types of hp and try it.
    And yes, as far as the feed ramp goes, I had polished it to a mirror finish with Mas polish and a felt dremel wheel.

User Tag List