Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5 is SOOOO much better, really? Tell me more....

iPhone 5 is SOOOO much better, really? Tell me more....

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    From a guy who hates Apple..that was awesome.

I just upgraded to the 4S. Despite repeated attempts by my service to have me wait for the 5.

Nah, I just need to talk to people, get the occasional important email, and like having my music on the same device for simplicity's sake.

I didn't know what a text was until 2008, and didn't have a text capable phone until 2010, so I am catching up quickly. Or not............
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I am an iPhone fanboy.

And I'm getting the 5, despite having absolutely no need for it.

Planned obsolescence FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

I like my iPhone (4S). I had Blackberries, Windows Mobile, and Android phones as well. None of them were as well rounded of a phone. I will probably buy the 5 before the end of the year (write it off!).

inb4androidisbetter
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    inb4androidisbetter
    I have a deep appreciation for my Android devices, but I don't bother claiming that they're "better." Compared to its competition, Android best suits my needs. For some other people, iOS best suits their needs. Their choice has no influence on my life, and I have no interest in "converting" anyone.

I really don't want any part in the Phone Wars. They're about as appealing to me as the Caliber Wars or any other Product X vs Product Y Wars.

My one substantive complaint about the new iPhone is that Apple decided to go with a new, proprietary connector, while all other device manufacturers have converged to a standard. Owners of the new iPhone won't be able to use their old peripherals without first spending money on converters, and will still have to buy iPhone-specific peripherals in the future.

There are plenty of things to have nerd fights about, but I really don't have much care about any other aspects of the iPhone 5. I think that decision was a dick move on Apple's part though, especially considering how far so many manufacturers have gone to accommodate their previous proprietary connection. It's not just that little Timmy will have to purchase a $29 adapter to use his old speakers, but so will his mom for her $60,000 luxury vehicle that she purchased a year ago.

They can then choose to carry that adapter with them at all times (thereby paying for only one converter), or buy one for each of their old accessories (thereby eliminating the need to carry extra stuff, but greatly increasing their expense). I'm sure it will also be fun to have an iPod and iPad that use one connection method, but an iPhone that uses another.

In a day and age where the industry has moved away from every single phone model having a proprietary charger and peripheral cable, I find it insulting that Apple has not only stayed on this path, but pushed it further. It also pains me to know that I will have to repeatedly explain this to all of my family members who get the new iPhone 5.

But hey, accessory manufacturers will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    But hey, accessory manufacturers will love it.
    Sounds like a business plan.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I'll be ordering one.

I've got an iPhone 4 that I've been nursing along the last few months as I'm out of storage space on it... but rather than upgrading to a 4S I decided to be patient and wait it out.

I just can't decide between the 32GB & the 64GB.

Ordering opens at midnight tonight... but I think I'll wait till the morning. No need to stay up. I'll get one when I can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    My one substantive complaint about the new iPhone is that Apple decided to go with a new, proprietary connector, while all other device manufacturers have converged to a standard. Owners of the new iPhone won't be able to use their old peripherals without first spending money on converters, and will still have to buy iPhone-specific peripherals in the future.
    I just wish more people would realize how big of a problem this is, and keep Apple from getting away with it. Standards are far enough from sacred in the world of technology, and large companies skipping them for no substantive reason (sure, it's probably nice to fit audio, power and data in a single connector, but come on) just makes the problem yet worse.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

I kind of want one. My iPhone 4 is still rockin' along just fine, but the higher speed data would be nice. My office building seems to have been built with an anti-3G Faraday cage of some sort, but folks with the 4G devices seem to have better luck. I'm still grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan, and I wonder how switching might FUBAR that for me. Introduction of LTE seems like a good opportunity for them to yank that rug out from under me. I haven't come close to approaching a need for unlimited, but sure enough if you gave me faster speeds that actually worked in my office I'd probably be bouncing off the limit soon enough.

The elongated screen shape seems kind of odd. I'm not sure if everything fits that ratio well. Still I used my phone for work a lot so having some more screen space would be nice. The changing plug isn't the end of the world that some make it out to be but it's not exactly the pinnacle of convenience, either. I did just buy a speaker dock for my office so it makes sense that they'd change it so I can't use it easily... but I've got an old 3Gs with some broken functionality that is basically a dedicated ipod anyway.

The only thing that's driving me towards becoming an early adopter is getting the most value out of possibly selling my old phone to help defray the cost of the upgrade.

ETA: now that it's up and available, it seems they'll let me keep the unlimited plan even with LTE if I upgrade
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 09-14-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List