Thread: Unusual find on an old revolver

Unusual find on an old revolver

In the last year or so I found a mechanically sound Colt Official Police revolver, circa 1962 manufactured, at a pawn shop at a good price for a shooter grade revolver. It was a police trade in gun at some point in its life. I came upon a set of inexpensive Herretts grips for it more recently and when I was putting them in place I found this under the original grip panel.

Name:  police positive grip message.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  34.4 KB

I really enjoy history tidbits like this. I’m sure the gun was stolen and recovered, but no one ever checked under the grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floating around somewhere is a Ruger Single Six that has my name written in pencil on the inside of the grips. Wish I had it back.

Wow. An old gun with an equally old Alabama drivers' license number. Mine had the same number of digits and started with a '6' instead of a '0'. First issued almost 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, I doubt Ms Smith is still around to comment on its provenance.

Stuff like that is why I enjoy picking up older firearms more than buying brand new. I’ve had several K31s, a K11 and an 1889 or 2 but only 1 had the owner’s info. I should get out my last K31 to see if it’s that one or if I sold it in one of my purges.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List