Thread: Knife Thrust Timing

Site Supporter

Knife Thrust Timing

From my morning news feed on such things:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...79073822002018

The performance during four stationary knife attacks: implications for tactical training

Citation

Kantor M, Lewinski WJ, Reiner S, Pettitt R. Forensic Sci. Int. 2022; 337: e111371.

Copyright

(Copyright © 2022, Elsevier Publishing)

DOI

10.1016/j.forsciint.2022.111371

PMID

Abstract

With over 72,000 offenses between 2010 and 2020 in the USA, knives were the third most commonly used weapon in all violent crimes between behind personal weapons and handguns.

PURPOSE: Examine the performance of different stab (Thrust and overhead) and slash (Figure 8 and Reverse) knife motions to determine how long it takes to execute each motion. In addition, examine the variability in executing each motion to inform future self-defense strategies.

METHODS: Twenty subjects (Females, n = 4; Males, n = 16; Height: 179.96 ± 8.66 cm; Weight: 94.99 ± 22.37 kg; Age: 36.95 ± 10.63 years) who were all active-duty law enforcement officers (LEOs) with 13.52 ± 11.23 years of LEO experience were recruited to participate in the study. Each subject completed two trials of the knife motions while wearing wearable motion sensors (ADPM) and recorded with a high-speed camera (GoPro) while using a training knife (Cold Steel).

RESULTS: The time to complete the motions were: Thrust, 0.61 ± 0.15 s; Overhead, 0.68 ± 0.14 s; Figure 8, 1.07 ± 0.21 s; and Reverse, 0.62 ± 0.11 s. The Figure 8 motion was significantly slower than the other three motions: F (3, 57) = 101.19, p < 0.001, ηp2 = 0.84. The reliability analysis reported trivial variability and a high level of agreement: Thrust, ICCα = 0.701, SEM = 0.09 s, CV% = 15.02; Overhead, ICCα = 0.878, SEM = 0.05 s, CV% = 6.93; Figure 8, ICCα = 0.906, SEM = 0.07 s, CV% = 6.25, Reverse, ICCα = 0.420, SEM = 0.10 s, CV% = 17.31.

DISCUSSION: Most LEOs or civilians within striking distance of someone with a knife may not be able to avoid contact from the knife attacks based on the speed knife attacks could occur.

CONCLUSION: The reference data provides pertinent information to update evidence-based training approaches to knife attack preparation and defense.

The whole PDF needs to be purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    From my morning news feed on such things:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...79073822002018

The whole PDF needs to be purchased.
    Cool data, thanks.

I edited a new 3 min Knife defense highlight vid last night that I will publish soon if interested and have a few instructional type vids already.

Site Supporter
    “… knives were the third most commonly used weapon in all violent crimes between behind personal weapons and handguns.”

Has me wondering what “personal weapons” are, if they’re not knives or handguns.
    Whatever they are, they sure are popular.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    “… knives were the third most commonly used weapon in all violent crimes between behind personal weapons and handguns.”

Has me wondering what “personal weapons” are, if they’re not knives or handguns.
    I believe that is FBI speak for hands/feet kicks punches. apparently they ignore elbows and knees lol . I believe that is it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

First off, that's bullshit. Battery is a "violent crime" and the number of simple batteries that occur via "personal weapons" dwarves any other weapon type.

To answer the question, it's using your own body as a weapon. Punching someone, strangling someone, etc. UCR tables usually list it as hands/feet/fist but the handbook/training makes it clear it is any body part. If you headbutt someone to death, it's samey-same stats wise as if you kicked them in the head.

For Murder specifically, it's very heavily skewed toward child victims. Shaken babies, for example. It's exceedingly rare among non-domestic relationship adult murders.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Another OUTSTANDING example of fetishizing TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    the number of simple batteries that occur via "personal weapons" dwarves any other weapon type.
    My brain read that as:
    the number of simple batteries that occur via "personal weapons", dwarves or any other weapon type
    I must need more coffee…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List