Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30 Gen 5: Reports and Experiences

Glock 30 Gen 5: Reports and Experiences

I just picked up a G30 Gen 5 today. I'm taking it out tomorrow to run 150 rounds of 230gr Speer Lawman through it. I also have some Armscor, but I'm not sure if I should use that as I like to use Lawman or American Eagle because I feel that minimizes the variable of ammo QC as much as possible in vetting reliability.

I did notice that the feedramp isn't as I remember on previous Gen G30s. Anyone with Gen 3/4 G30s, did it look like this?: Name:  G30 Gen 5 Feedramp.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  29.3 KB

I would be interested in hearing anyone else's report with their Gen 5 G30s as people get them and shoot them. I plan to post updates myself as I shoot it. First thoughts are, I do like the way it feels better than I remember previous Gens feeling. On the larger Glocks I actually like finger grooves, but I think the G30 benefits from not having them. Also, maybe it's just me, but the barrel finish looks more like the one on my Gen 3 and 4's than the usual DLC on the Gen 5's. I could be wrong on that, but that's what it looks like. It has that slightly grayish tint to it instead of the DLC deep black. [Edit: After comparing to my Gen 4's and other Gen 5's, the barrel finish is definitely the one on the Gen 4's and not the nDLC of the Gen 5. Wonder why?]

I'm excited to shoot it and really hope it proves to be reliable without any "new gen" bugs. It would be nice to have a 10rd compact Glock in .45. In my memory I recall the G30 being stunningly accurate and soft shooting for its size. Since I shoot the G21 better than any other pistol, I'm hoping this will follow in its footsteps.

Name:  G30 Gen 5.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  99.0 KB
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 02-05-2024 at 10:58 PM.

That feed ramp looks like a funnel, wide at the bottom and narrows at the mouth of the chamber. My G30 gen4 feed ramp is consistent in width bottom to top. I am photo challenged or I’d send you a pic of my barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    That feed ramp looks like a funnel, wide at the bottom and narrows at the mouth of the chamber. My G30 gen4 feed ramp is consistent in width bottom to top. I am photo challenged or I’d send you a pic of my barrel.
    There are two bevels on the sides of the center, like it's meant to feed from each one like an AR or something. I could be wrong on that though.

Looks like a machining flaw, personally.

Site Supporter
    The G42 either used to or still does have a weird looking feed ramp like that

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Looks like a machining flaw, personally.
    I really don't think so. It's too symmetrical and well done, like on a G42 as Noah said.

Well, I only got to shoot 102 rounds out of the Glock 30 Gen 5 today. I did have a jam on the 100th round. I was loading the 10rd mags that came with it to 9 rounds and it jammed on the second to last round in the magazine, but it looks a bit different from what happened to my Glock 21 Gen 5's. It's more of a normal failure to feed. This was with Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ ammunition. I re-loaded that round back into the magazine and fired the last 2 rounds again without issue. That was all the ammo I had allotted for the G30 Gen 5 today. I did clean out the copper grease beforehand and also did normal lubrication with CLP in accordance with the Glock manual's guidelines.

I also shot 300 more rounds through a new-ish G21 Gen 4 afterwards, without a single issue. Also shot 116rds through my HK45C (38 of which were Federal HST) to test some new 10rd elephant foot mags and likewise, no stoppages.

Here's a couple of pics I took, sorry they're not the greatest: [Note, the PMC in the background is .38 Special. The ammo in the G30 was all entirely Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ]
    Name:  G30 Jam 1.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  29.6 KB
    Name:  G30 Jam 2.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  24.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The G42 either used to or still does have a weird looking feed ramp like that
    That might make sense, if it's a cartridge-specific feature Glock is using. Aren't the .380 and .45 ACP dimensionally very similar, just one bigger than the other? I remember reading somewhere that rather than a cut down 9mm, it was more accurate to understand the .380 as a scaled down .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    That might make sense, if it's a cartridge-specific feature Glock is using. Aren't the .380 and .45 ACP dimensionally very similar, just one bigger than the other? I remember reading somewhere that rather than a cut down 9mm, it was more accurate to understand the .380 as a scaled down .45 ACP.
    They certainly look the same, just differently scaled (.45 and .380).

I also had the magazine pinching my pinkie between the little lip of the bottom of the grip.

User Tag List