Thread: Canadian military to destroy 11,000 Second World War-era pistols

Canadian military to destroy 11,000 Second World War-era pistols

National Defence spokesperson Cheryl Forrest said all military units would send their Browning handguns to Canadian Forces supply depots in Quebec and Alberta for disposal. The Canadian Forces announced it had received the final deliveries of the new P320s on March 6. The delivery involved 16,500 of what are being called C22 pistols. Those are being used by the army, navy and air force. Another 3,200 new pistols, to be called the C24, were sent to military police units.
    https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...ar-era-pistols

Sacrebleu!

Weren't their Hi Powers genuinely worn out? This doesn't seem surprising.

Administrative handling. BAAAM! “Sorry, sorry, sorry!”
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Weren't their Hi Powers genuinely worn out? This doesn't seem surprising.
    What doesn't seem surprising to me is that the Castro (I mean Trudeau) government is destroying firearms. I remember getting an old surplus Inglis HiPower in the 1990s (which I foolishly gave away to a friend who would later turn anti-gun), it was well used but totally functional, still with armory painted numbers on it, and a great piece of military history. I would happily own one of these surplus Canadian pistols given the opportunity even if it was pretty well worn.

Site Supporter
    What will happen to all the US 5.56 guns if we move to the 6.8s? On sale NOW! What happened to the Berettas, BTW?

Canada has been outed as a defense slacker lately. They couldn't defend themselves against anyone or meaningly contribute to Nato significantly. Maybe with the 320s they will?

PS - evil fingers on the 5.53 - I know better!
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-25-2024 at 09:58 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    What will happen to all the US 5.53 guns if we move to the 6.8s? On sale NOW! What happened to the Berettas, BTW?

Canada has been outed as a defense slacker lately. They couldn't defend themselves against anyone or meaningly contribute to Nato significantly. Maybe with the 320s they will?
    Pretty certain the law that prevents federal LE guns made after a certain date (1990ish) from being sold to civilians applies to military guns as well. Maybe a small handful of M9s will be eligible if the administration is friendly. As for the M16s/M4s, "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Plus, the 6.8 is only going to replace the 556 in certain units while 556 will remain in service with soldiers who do not use a rifle as their primary weapon (think of it as the new .30 carbine).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Pretty certain the law that prevents federal LE guns made after a certain date (1990ish) from being sold to civilians applies to military guns as well. Maybe a small handful of M9s will be eligible if the administration is friendly. As for the M16s/M4s, "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Plus, the 6.8 is only going to replace the 556 in certain units while 556 will remain in service with soldiers who do not use a rifle as their primary weapon (think of it as the new .30 carbine).
    The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and a Clinton era executive order precludes all federal LE firearms from being disposed of by any means other than destruction or transfer to another federal agency.

However none of that applies to .MIL weapons.

I agree 5.56 will likely remain in use alongside 6.8 for a LONG time.

M9s and 5.56 guns either be given to friendly countries as aid or refurbished and placed in long term storage as emergency war reserves. Replacing the 1911s, M14s and possible some M16a1s currently fulfilling that role.

The “once a machinegun always a machinegun” rule does apply but they could always chop the lower receivers and sell them as parts kits or as CMP semi only rebuilds with new AR lowers.

The M9s would be eligible for CMP sales.

Going back to the OP, it’s my understanding the Canadians should have replaced those BHPs 20 or 30 years ago and that most are unserviceable or close to it.

There are threads here on PF documenting at least a decade’s worth of failed attempts by Canada to replace their clapped out BHPs.

User Tag List