Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Guys with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn

Gun Guys with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn

Latest:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m curious about what others with more RDS experience than I have think. I agree with a lot of what Ken said in this video, but I think that denying the red dot has any benefits over iron sights at closer ranges is wrong. At the very least, you’ve still got the benefits of two eyes open, target focused shooting and I think that’s substantial.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I have seen the RDS being immediately advantageous in two conditions on the flat range within the 10 yard range:
    - Shooting while moving aggressively, especially when moving at an angle.

-Low light / variable lighting conditions

Red dots on pistols are the same as optics on rifle. They are a force multiplier. Plenty of people have been killed with iron sights. But as soon as people got widley given an optic ( acog and early aimpoints for the US military) no one missed irons. I'll take one aiming point that allows me to keep both eyes open and target focused in a fight 10 times out 10. Doesn't mean I couldn't win using irons, but I want the advantage.

Also after watching the post I do want o acknowledge he was very well thought out with his reasoning. Will it have me ditch a red dot, probably not but it does make me think harder about my justification for one

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m curious about what others with more RDS experience than I have think. I agree with a lot of what Ken said in this video, but I think that denying the red dot has any benefits over iron sights at closer ranges is wrong. At the very least, you’ve still got the benefits of two eyes open, target focused shooting and I think that’s substantial.
    I have nothing against red dots (I have several) but what’s to stop you from shooting with both eyes open and target focusing with irons? I shoot target focus with irons. The front sight is blurry and the target is crisp. My shots are no less accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    I have nothing against red dots (I have several) but what’s to stop you from shooting with both eyes open and target focusing with irons? I shoot target focus with irons. The front sight is blurry and the target is crisp. My shots are no less accurate.
    Some people have vision issues that make it harder to ignore the phantom image of the gun and sights that appears. Same thing with shooting both eyes open with a front sight focus. Some people just get messed up with the phantom images of targets. The RDS allows you to not have to deal with any of that.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Latest:
    Better than the last one.
    I don't know if new shooters will pick up the RDS better than seasoned shooters. Maybe, although more and more seasoned guys shoot target focused these days. I do know that new shooters will pick up the RDS better than irons, will have better results, and will not want to shoot irons for any practical purposes.
    Speaking for myself only, a quality placement at a responsible speed is well south of 10 yards with irons and well north of it with the dot. Maybe on the next edition of this video we'll come to an agreement of no dot advantage within 5-7 yards.
    The analogies with adjustable sights, 40 cal and lasers fell flat for me.
    Finally, is there anyone credible out there who says, vision issues aside, that you NEED a dot on a defensive gun?
    Last edited by YVK; 10-20-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’ve stopped even attempting to watch their videos.

User Tag List