Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
I think an argument can be made that for 90+% of defensive uses, using Givens' data as a reference, one doesn't need even irons sights and just use the index.The dot is really a visual backup to index anyway.
I guess I am trying to say that introduction of a word "need" invalidates any position for me, whether the guy is favoring or criticizing one sighting system over another or not. Again, this is in a reference to civilian defensive guns.
I suppose my response would be that I train to the standards I train to not because I actually expect to have to make those shots at those speeds but because getting shot at, or shot potentially, is going to lower my ability to make decisive hits and the better I can make those hits in practice the better I can potentially make them when it counts.

Switching to fsf and knocking the apple out at 25 makes it more likely that I can do the same at 10 during an adrenaline dump. Dots are easier to reliably do that with with less practice. I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't know. I agree that it's unnecessary to throw a "need" in there. But reading between the lines, that's what I'm reading.