Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own a Walther Model 9?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    How does that Walther carry/shoot?
    It far exceeded my expectations.

Name:  6FB129FC-8104-47E2-801C-C86F122F9D35.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  37.7 KB

Especially for this sight picture:

Name:  B59B19DA-A913-4590-B328-6F05A12586B6.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  34.1 KB

Front sight has to be peeking up through the notch which makes it harder to be precise.

With 25 ACP, recoil management isn’t an issue and sub-20 splits are easy.

Name:  674396FD-25E9-456A-B861-2032842BFE60.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  38.8 KB

It’s a 6+1 capacity in the size of a NAA Pug which is awesome.

Name:  4D79C38E-07B0-49CA-9107-0E9F6237C403.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  103.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Nice! Seems like it runs and shoots well.

It kinda has a resemblance to the Baby Browning. Is that just superficial? Or are they mechanically similar/related? It looks like the Baby Browning was actually later (1927) than the model 9 (1921). But the BB was somewhat based on the Colt 1908... which was earlier that the model 9. So I dunno.

So...

If I wanted a teeny-weeny .25 (not saying I do--not saying I don't)... would this be a "better" option than a Baby Browning?

Then there's also the Beretta 950. And the CZ-45.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Nice! Seems like it runs and shoots well.

It kinda has a resemblance to the Baby Browning. Is that just superficial? Or are they mechanically similar/related? It looks like the Baby Browning was actually later (1927) than the model 9 (1921). But the BB was somewhat based on the Colt 1908... which was earlier that the model 9. So I dunno.

So...

If I wanted a teeny-weeny .25 (not saying I do--not saying I don't)... would this be a "better" option than a Baby Browning?

Then there's also the Beretta 950. And the CZ-45.
    Not the OP, but from reading about these:

1) the Baby Browning was created in direct response to this pistol, which was edging out the Browning 1906 .25 acp in sales. The BB took a lot of design cues from the Walther, so the designs are very similar.

2) the BB had a much longer production run, and is still made today by a company that bought the rights from FN. Parts and magazines are still available from the factory. Though a few millimeters bigger in some dimensions from the Walther, the BB is only 10 grams heavier (1/3 of an ounce). The current BB maker has had limited editions with alloy and titanium frames for lighter weight.

3) I don’t know about the Walther, but the BB has specific features related to drop safety. Basically the magazine safety also works as a drop safety.

4) take down of the BB is easier than the Walther due to the early browning twist barrel method of disassembly.

5) for ease of shooting, the BB has extended magazine floor plates that allow 3 support fingers on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Not the OP, but from reading about these:

1) the Baby Browning was created in direct response to this pistol, which was edging out the Browning 1906 .25 acp in sales. The BB took a lot of design cues from the Walther, so the designs are very similar.

2) the BB had a much longer production run, and is still made today by a company that bought the rights from FN. Parts and magazines are still available from the factory. Though a few millimeters bigger in some dimensions from the Walther, the BB is only 10 grams heavier (1/3 of an ounce). The current BB maker has had limited editions with alloy and titanium frames for lighter weight.

3) I don’t know about the Walther, but the BB has specific features related to drop safety. Basically the magazine safety also works as a drop safety.

4) take down of the BB is easier than the Walther due to the early browning twist barrel method of disassembly.

5) for ease of shooting, the BB has extended magazine floor plates that allow 3 support fingers on the gun.

Cool, thanks. Interesting.

I feel like FN must have taken some aesthetic cues from the Walther when they developed the BB. I kinda had assumed it was the other way around... just because the BB is so much more well known.

Apparently, you can buy a new production BB from Precision Small Arms, right from their website: https://www.precisionsmallarms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Cool, thanks. Interesting.

I feel like FN must have taken some aesthetic cues from the Walther when they developed the BB. I kinda had assumed it was the other way around... just because the BB is so much more well known.

Apparently, you can buy a new production BB from Precision Small Arms, right from their website: https://www.precisionsmallarms.com/
    Hey, thanks for that link.

I just ordered a featherweight BB from them.

It’s 7.8 ounces so it might work out really well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Nice! Congrats. That's lighter than a LCP--closing in on P32 territory. Would love to know how it works when you get it. Everything I've read suggests the level of quality is really excellent.

I once carried dual Baby Brownings, and foolishly sold both years ago.

I do have an FN 1905, and wouldn't mind the addition of a Baby Browning, a Walther 9, an Otgies, a Mauser 1910, a Velo Dog... and pretty much the whole slew of prewar .25acp vest pocket pistols.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I’m very interested in hearing your thoughts on how the Walther and BB compare.

JCN,

That’s impressive. Those new PSAs are nice. I had one of the featherweights, which couldn’t get to run, I had another all blue PSA that ran like a sewing machine. I got rid of my featherlight as it was, if I recall, about 1.5 oz heavier than my BB lightweight. That being said my BB wouldn’t run either until I used factory mags and voila, it is awesome.

Dave

Now you got me browsing the micro mouseguns at GB.

Like this cool Dreyse here.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List