Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does anyone own a Walther Model 9?

Site Supporter
    This article describes one such pistol serving its purpose at a time when it was the best option.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...al-protection/

Don’t think about ft. Lbs. energy. Think of it as a .25 caliber stick poking a hole. That is a big hole in an aorta. See my post in ammunition section. We need some accurate chrono/ penetration info on just FMJ as the dumb hollowpoints are ridiculous in this tiny caliber. Mayn have espoused the FMJ metal Geco as THE round for penetration, but I have not seen any objective info to confirm it. I think there is probably a lot of variation in the FMJ rounds of which there Are about 13 currently available. To me th Federal seems like it is the hottest. That being said, you could probably push a 40-45 grain solid to more than 1000 fps.

JCN, go for the original BB lightweight, you won’t be sorry! I am tweaking mine into a more subdued two tone. Replacing polished shiny slide with blued one, changing all shiny controls to blued. Almost done collecting the parts, just need to reassemble and test fire.

These are fine in their very limited role of DEFENSIVE use in a 3-5 yard range. Playing with them, the results are suprising. All shots rapidly into head sized target with one hand. Just be honest with your need and realistic potential use.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Don’t think about ft. Lbs. energy. Think of it as a .25 caliber stick poking a hole. That is a big hole in an aorta. See my post in ammunition section. We need some accurate chrono/ penetration info on just FMJ as the dumb hollowpoints are ridiculous in this tiny caliber.
    The issue is that it might not get through a sternum. Probably not through an arm in front of the chest and then into the chest.

And it wouldn’t be a 0.25 caliber hole in an aorta because of elasticity and contraction.

Think of shooting a tire with a 9mm… the resulting hole doesn’t stay 9mm…

I have a couple days off work… I might do some JCN ballistic testing but I expect it to be kind of sad.

I might compare to a 2 inch WMR…

JCN, I can’t remember, you may have sent me a link to bone simulant with various hardwoods? I think oak was equivalent to cancellous bone, but cant recall. The conversion is the sticky part right, as in does 1” hard oak equal _____ inches of sternum / skull?

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    JCN, I can’t remember, you may have sent me a link to bone simulant with various hardwoods? I think oak was equivalent to cancellous bone, but cant recall. The conversion is the sticky part right, as in does 1” hard oak equal _____ inches of sternum / skull?
    I did send you that link and I still have oak planks lying around!

It’s cortical bone and not cancellous.

The issue with trying to come up with an equivalent is difficult because of marrow and the cancellous bone in between the cortical.

Despite my prewar .25acp pistol fetish, I'd be really reluctant to carry one now as a primary sd gun. I could pack any number of micro .380's in roughly the same amount of pocket realestate.

I would consider a .25acp velo dog revolver as a BUG, and even then I'd rather see a modernized version as mentioned in other threads.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    About 26-27 years ago, I briefly owned a .25. The first and only time I shot it, two FMJ bullets struck my wood target frame. They penetrated 3/16 inch before dropping to the ground virtually undamaged. My 1 1/8 inch North American Arms .22 lr would completely bury bullets in the same wood. My Browning Buck Mark, with its 5 1/2 inch barrel, would drive bullets completely through the wood.

Some of my friends owned small .22 and .25 pistols, and reported mixed reliability. Since tiny .32 pistols were not yet widely available (unless one either waited 3 years or paid $1,000 for a Seecamp), the NAA became my gun of choice when something tiny was needed.

These tiny .25 pistols are neat, but I am glad we no longer need to choose them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List