Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own a Walther Model 9?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Apparently there are three distinct types/revisions of this pistol, plus rolling changes through the production run. Do you know what type your pistol is? Or at least what part of the serial range?

What are your expectations for this pistol? I know (and appreciate) your interest in weird stuff; I'm just curious as to what you envision for this pistol.
    I think it’ll depend on how large it actually is and how it shoots.

I’ll probably going to run a test between that, the Taurus View, the P32AT and an NAA Pug.

Maybe it could be a pocket pistol instead of the Taurus View.

It’ll probably be horrible and sit in my safe.

I thought that about the View and wound up loving it though.

I hope Taurus revisits the view. They need to optimize the grip a bit, straighten it, fill in behind the trigger guard, maybe texture it a bit, wide U notch rear, day glo, tritium front, in a realistic caliber for such a tiny gun. .32 mag would be perfect, .22LR and .22 WMR.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think it’ll depend on how large it actually is and how it shoots.

I’ll probably going to run a test between that, the Taurus View, the P32AT and an NAA Pug.

Maybe it could be a pocket pistol instead of the Taurus View.

It’ll probably be horrible and sit in my safe.

I thought that about the View and wound up loving it though.
    I'm definitely interested to see how it performs, from a modern perspective. In the era of Toyota Camrys and Glock pistols, we have very different expectations of performance than than 100 years ago.

The one point about these older pistols is that it's likely not drop safe, so keep that in mind when you're playing with it. Again, modern expectations of performance.

With respect to Taurus revolvers, they either work or they don't. I'm not surprised that you got a good one that will give great service.

I'm definitely interested to see how it performs, from a modern perspective. In the era of Toyota Camrys and Glock pistols, we have very different expectations of performance than than 100 years ago.

The one point about these older pistols is that it's likely not drop safe, so keep that in mind when you're playing with it. Again, modern expectations of performance.

With respect to Taurus revolvers, they either work or they don't. I'm not surprised that you got a good one that will give great service.
    That’s a good point re: drop safety. There is a manual safety too, but I might have to break out the rubber mallet to see if I can simulate drop testing.

Site Supporter

Does anyone own a Walther Model 9?

According to this source, the safety blocks the striker, which could help as long as it does not accidentally get moved off safe.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/WMod9/wmod9.html

Unfortunately that is of no help if the safety is off safe when it is dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 07-17-2022 at 08:20 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Wild speculation, but one issue with striker-block safeties is when the sear gets knocked off the striker, the gun can fire when the safety is deactivated. Just a potential failure mode to test out before serious use.

Hahahaha!

Name:  0CFB467C-31F4-40E9-B2C5-8AF9410BF448.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  103.9 KB

This is what we are talking about.

I was not prepared for how tiny this thing is. It’s a giggle factory and really well made mechanically.

Compared to a 1” NAA PUG.

Name:  4390C638-6E37-4961-B537-CA0035D6EFA1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  103.0 KB

But 6+1 of 25 ACP rather than 5 single action 22WMR/LR.

And here compared to a KelTec P32AT…

Name:  33F3974C-D570-4616-BD8E-98A1DB1FCFC9.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  101.4 KB

The trigger is really quite nice and crisp.

Name:  9D1395DE-E375-4CF5-92D5-7BB877A38A09.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  102.4 KB

Have Dremel will travel

Had a couple aftermarket mags come in.

Name:  D6E49E0F-FF66-4D6A-8AF1-04C176D2FFBB.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  54.2 KB

The geometry wasn’t quite compatible with my version.

So I trimmed the foot and the top lips.

Name:  893F97C4-1AC2-4230-95BF-621095DA75B0.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  94B423B5-DF92-4DBA-BB61-10DEA6A6ABF3.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  37.8 KB

Wild speculation, but one issue with striker-block safeties is when the sear gets knocked off the striker, the gun can fire when the safety is deactivated. Just a potential failure mode to test out before serious use.

Not a striker fired gun but I've had this happen shooting a Mauser C96, a friend's gun. Didn't realize the safety was on when I tried to fire it. Apparently the trigger press had still been able to move the sear enough that taking the safety off caused the hammer to fall and the gun to go bang. Bullet hit the berm but it was certainly exciting regardless.

User Tag List