Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G 17 for AIWB?

G 17 for AIWB?

At the moment I carry a G17 in a comp-tac IWB at about 10 o'clock (lefty) but am wanting to go to AIWB. What has been your alls experience with the G 17 for AIWB? Would there be any advantage going to a G19? For me, the G 17 is easier to draw and to shoot than the 19 but it is a larger pistol. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks
    Last edited by Catridge; 09-13-2012 at 04:12 PM.

In the right holster you will be fine. One of my T&E guys is like 5'-6" and 165 lbs (very fit) and can do a G17 in a snug T-Shirt. If you shoot it better, don't switch to the G19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catridge View Post
    What has been your alls experience with the G 17 for AIWB?
    It works fine, that's what I carry. I use a CCC Shaggy holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Catridge View Post
    For me, the G 17 is easier to draw and to shoot than the 19 but it is a larger pistol.
    With the right holster, I don't find the added grip length to be an issue.

What they said. I also shoot the 17 better and just like the overall feel better than the 19. Shaggy works OK for me, could be better though so I'm exploring other options.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

If you've already got the 17, try it. If you don't like how it conceals for you, a 19 will probably work well in the same holster.

I can carry a 17 (or usually P30, similar grip size) okay but the drop to a G19 length grip does make a difference in concealabilty for me. I'm 5'10", 195 or so.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I don't have any trouble with a G17 in a Shaggy. The Shaggy does an good job of keeping the extra handle length tucked in.

Here's my copied & pasted review of my GEN 4 G17 JM Custom Kydex AIWB Holster.

Quote Originally Posted by MEAT View Post
    I’ll start my review by giving a little background on the holsters I have used up until now:

Milt Sparks VM2 - HK45C
    TT Gunleather IWB - Glock 30SF
    CompTac MTAC - Glock 17, 20SF, 21SF, 23, 26, 30SF
    Galco Triton (CompTac Infidel clone) – Glock 26
    Cobra Gunskin X2 AIWB (similar to High Noon Mr. Softy) - Glock 26
    High Noon Public Secret AIWB – Glock 26
    Alessi APX AIWB - S&W 442

I’ve been wearing mine for a couple weeks, and I’m nothing short of amazed by this holster. It is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn, let alone AIWB. I would have never guessed AIWB could be this comfortable, especially with a full size Glock. Everything about this holster is perfect for me. I can get into my lifted truck & drive more comfortably than I ever have before while carrying. I can bend down and pick stuff up off the ground, pick up my 1y/o daughter & 3y/o son, sit on the couch or the dinner table, clean the pool, do yard work, you name it, I can do it with this holster more comfortably than I’ve ever been able to. Hell, I can even throw some knees and combos & do squats like JJ Raccaza in his video for the Five-O holster. I liked it so much, that I ordered one for my S&W Shield within a day or two of getting it. I already sold my G17 MTAC, and I’ll be listing my G20/21 MTAC as soon as I get around to it. For body type comparison, I'm 6'0, 225lbs with a 48" Chest & 38" waist.

Ride Height:
    The ride height is perfect. It sits as low as possible for me, while still allowing me to get a consistent grip/draw. The other AIWB holsters I’ve tried either sat too high & printed badly (High Noon Public Secret), or sat too low & made the draw difficult/inconsistent (Cobra X2, Alessi APX).

Wedge/Tuck:
    The wedge tucks my G17 against my torso like it was custom fit. It doesn’t stick out at all, and it’s not tucked so hard that it presses into my abdomen.

Extra Tuck:
    The extra tuck also feels custom made for me. Again, it tilts the gun back into my abdomen perfectly & feels like it balances right on the belt. Another benefit to the extra tuck is that it rounds the side of the holster that contacts your body. Instead of having a fairly square edged piece of kydex that sticks & hangs up during movement, the roundness of the extra tuck feature allows the holster to move more freely and not hang up.

Mounting Options:
    I bought the holster with the pull-the-dot snaps, but I also ordered the kydex loop. As I’ve read a few times before, the PTD snaps printed pretty badly for me. I put the kydex loop on, and it’s money. My Wilderness CSM Instructor Belt & 5.11 Kydex Lined Leather Belt fit easily in the kydex loop, and both being polymer/kydex lined, they’re thicker than the standard 5-Stitch.

I've carried 17's for many years AIWB. Being that is my preferred carry, on my carry 17's I have the grip cut to take G-19 magazines. This gives you the shorter grip for less protrusion for this (actually all concealed) type of carry. THe cut G-17 grip geometry and finger groove spacing actually fits my hand better than the 19.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If you've already got the 17, try it. If you don't like how it conceals for you, a 19 will probably work well in the same holster.

I can carry a 17 (or usually P30, similar grip size) okay but the drop to a G19 length grip does make a difference in concealabilty for me. I'm 5'10", 195 or so.
    This has been my experience too. I'm the same size. I currently use JM Custom Kydex holsters.

Have carried a bunch of guns AIWB since the early '80's and really diggin the VG2 now. As much as I'd prefer to carry the capable G17, it is very hard to conceal AIWB vs a 19. I weight about 165 also like the T&E guy John mentioned. But I'm 5" taller than that guy at that weight. I think that's indicative. If your broad there's room for all that grip. With my 32-33" waist - not so much.

It works for lots of folks; works for me under a fleece or hoodie. Not daily attire of shirts; not very often.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List