Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams Blade Design CRKT knife and bearded axe

Site Supporter

Williams Blade Design CRKT knife and bearded axe

I have been a fan of Williams Blade Design knives and axes made by Winkler. The only problem is they are expensive and often not available. Enter two new CRKT versions. The CRKT Williams HZ6 Fixed Blade Knife Black G-10 (6.5" Black)
    And the CRKT James Williams Skeggox 13" axe. I recently purchased one of each and so far I like what I see. Granted I have not used them hard yet but I plan to.
    Winkler blades on the right

Name:  6C9B8A92-6928-46C5-8DBC-10C058B09B6D.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  58.5 KB

I’m probably going to pick them up as well. I’m a big fan of his designs. I have the Hisshou because it’s bad ass, Yukanto on a chest rig, 2 Hissatsu folders ($30 at Walmart!) for carry at work, and Heiho with Veff serrations that I use when in dress pants.

I really like the look of that knife (I have an irrational weakness for 4.5-6.5" slim tantos). I'm less than stoked about the SK5 steel (which is ok if it's treated hard enough), and really think the stock is too thick (0.21").
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I have been a fan of Williams Blade Design knives and axes made by Winkler. The only problem is they are expensive and often not available. Enter two new CRKT versions. The CRKT Williams HZ6 Fixed Blade Knife Black G-10 (6.5" Black)
    And the CRKT James Williams Skeggox 13" axe. I recently purchased one of each and so far I like what I see. Granted I have not used them hard yet but I plan to.
    Winkler blades on the right

Name:  6C9B8A92-6928-46C5-8DBC-10C058B09B6D.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  58.5 KB
    Is that Winkler the 9” O-tanto?

Sooooo hot…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I really like the look of that knife (I have an irrational weakness for 4.5-6.5" slim tantos). I'm less than stoked about the SK5 steel (which is ok if it's treated hard enough), and really think the stock is too thick (0.21").
    Just got a response from CRKT. They say the SK5 in the HZ6 is 55-58 RC.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I agree on the looks.

Does the steel matter on a knife soley designed to stab or slice someone? Sure, I may want the properties of 3V on a bushcraft knife that needs to be extremely tough yet with good edge retention, or I might want s110v on a folder if I care about edge retention and corrosion resistance, but on a self defense knife, it doesn't matter, does it?

Just got a response from CRKT. They say the SK5 in the HZ6 is 55-58 RC.
    Should be closer to 60RC right? At 55 I wonder if it will hold an edge for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    Does the steel matter on a knife soley designed to stab or slice someone? Sure, I may want the properties of 3V on a bushcraft knife that needs to be extremely tough yet with good edge retention, or I might want s110v on a folder if I care about edge retention and corrosion resistance, but on a self defense knife, it doesn't matter, does it?
    Maybe? A lot of it depends on sheath design and execution for this particular blade. Because a bad sheath will cause the edge to rub on the draw stroke and the blade will be duller than a butter knife in a few minutes of dry practice. In those cases, a harder blade with better edge retention just translates into less maintenance overall. Assuming you really intend to run the blade and practice regularly.

That all said, I haven't found myself in a situation where I will regularly carry, use, or consider a fixed blade like this. In general anything that has a blade length over 3.5" is usually too difficult to draw and conceal simultaneously. And any blade that does not have either a guard or a decent finger choil gets binned, because I roll point driven, Monkey with a Screwdriver, style and don't want to be slipping forward onto an edge.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think Williams' designs are sexy as hell. But for practical purposes, I just haven't found blades in this size range particularly useful. In fact, I dare say, I don't find blades between four and nine inches in blade length all that useful, period. Which I know is blasphemous (to some). But a 3-4" camp knife does everything a 6-9" knife does, while weighing less. And anything a 6-9" blade does as a chopper is better done with an axe or a bigger blade...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    I agree on the looks.

Well, since my life isn't quite that exciting, my usual uses are more mundane than sentry removal. So, there's that.

I would say corrosion resistance, and the amount it can contribute to edge retention in a blade that's carried next to the body a lot, can be quite important.

I don't mind 58 RC, but think 55 is low. But I think production companies often do this with inexpensive, but solid tool steels. Keeps customers from breaking them or complaining that they're hard to sharpen. I find Condor and ESEE 1095 similar. Or my CS Bushman in SK5. Although that's a little more justifiable in a spear/woods tool than a short knife.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Is that Winkler the 9” O-tanto?

Sooooo hot…
    It is the HZO 003 | Hira Zukuri O-Tanto 9"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Should be closer to 60RC right? At 55 I wonder if it will hold an edge for very long.

Maybe? A lot of it depends on sheath design and execution for this particular blade. Because a bad sheath will cause the edge to rub on the draw stroke and the blade will be duller than a butter knife in a few minutes of dry practice. In those cases, a harder blade with better edge retention just translates into less maintenance overall. Assuming you really intend to run the blade and practice regularly.

That all said, I haven't found myself in a situation where I will regularly carry, use, or consider a fixed blade like this. In general anything that has a blade length over 3.5" is usually too difficult to draw and conceal simultaneously. And any blade that does not have either a guard or a decent finger choil gets binned, because I roll point driven, Monkey with a Screwdriver, style and don't want to be slipping forward onto an edge.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think Williams' designs are sexy as hell. But for practical purposes, I just haven't found blades in this size range particularly useful. In fact, I dare say, I don't find blades between four and nine inches in blade length all that useful, period. Which I know is blasphemous (to some). But a 3-4" camp knife does everything a 6-9" knife does, while weighing less. And anything a 6-9" blade does as a chopper is better done with an axe or a bigger blade...

I hope nobody will confuse this knife as a practical general use knife. But if I was going on another on another deployment to Iraq this knife would be on my stabby knife. My last deployment I took a simonich combat raven, spyderco endura, Swiss Army knife and an issued gerber multi tool. I never had use the combat raven but I felt better knowing it was mounted to my armor behind my magazines. (Worn out of sight kept the SGMs off my back, plus I didn’t play with it.)

User Tag List